It's time for sterling silver flashlights

Silver is the best material to make a flashlight. Here me out.

Well, considering all facts, for a work light it’s actually aluminum because it’s cheap, lightweight and conducts heat well enough.

The thing is that there is a big enough market that uses flashlight almost as jewerly EDC pocket rockets. And better materials than anodized aluminum are copper or titanium.

The problem with copper is that it’s very reactive, soft and oxidise over time (but we say it gets PATINA).

Pure silver has almost the same physical characteristics as copper but it’s as silver and shiny as it can gets, and sterling silver (92% silver + other metals), is harder and doesn’t gets patina.

Thermal conductivity: Silver 406 vs Copper 385 vs Gold 314 vs aluminum 205 vs steel 50 vs titanium 17 W/mK. Titanium looks cool but its closer to a freaking brick than to metals, so it can’t hold mid-power leds. That’s why the d4v2 has a copper head.

Doing some math:

Silver density (10.49g/cm3) is aprox 10% higher than copper (8.96 g/cm3).
The material itself is 650 USD per kilo, vs 8 USD per kilo of copper.
If an aluminum d4v2 weights 70g (without battery). Let’s say we have 60g of aluminum here. A full sterling silver d4v2 would be around 233g of silver. Depending the alloy, we would be talking about 200g of silver. This is something around 130 USD of silver.

Is it expensive? Yes of course. Are there extra manufacture costs related to small batches? Yes, I’m sure.

Would you buy a FREAKING STERLING SILVER D4V2 for 300 USD? Consider that if it sh*t hit the fan, you can sell it as metal for over 100 USD?

Also, a Lumintop Tool AA copper wheights 64g, so a sterling silver one would be around 70g. Which makes more sense, and could probably be sold for 150 USD.

I’ve just posted this on reddit, and the comments are already on fire. Reddit - Dive into anything

Yes, a Wurkkos TS10 in Sterling Silver would be a Buy it Now, especially if under $200

Are you basing your whole argument on the thermal conductivity of silver being two times that of aluminium and it’s inoxability ?

In that case you are mistaken, diamond with its 2000W/m.K is obviously the best flashlight material.

Given that a machinist would have to start with many times the weight of silver to begin with as raw stock, I’m guessing the proposed D4V2 would be more like $1,300+ than the $130 estimated.

Would certainly look nice though.

Here’s are a couple of smaller lights I silver plated -

I agree. I would love a silver flashlight. Maybe a silver KR4. There is also Argentium silver. Higher silver content than sterling and more durable. They use it in some men’s rings.

:heart_eyes:

guessing the hosts are copper?

can you also plate aluminium?

You guessed it JS, both are CU underneath.

I believe AL can be silver plated but I’ve never had it done.

This topic comes up every now and again (I think, maybe I also like the technical properties of silver), that said, after a bit of googling, I couldn’t find anyone who’s made one, which is a bit odd…

I guess, apart from bling-factor, you could keep costs down by making only certain parts of silver, and the rest out of aluminium.

I think to keep costs reasonable, AA or AAA form factor would be place to start? Maybe Reylight special edition?

Heck of a find, Jon!

Here's a link to Tofty's full model line of flashlights and pens:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/toftylight

And the $800 3D printed silver body section... tail section is an additional $400 to complete the light.

STUNNING!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/M4R2CNFCG/ag-torch-silver-body-section-ser-002-1-of-4?optionId=41134253&li=shops

one wildtrail wt90 in sterling silver for me please

Wow he even make them in gold and platinium, the 16340 one costing 18000$

Edit: they’re actually 3D printed

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: TOFTY'S FLASHLIGHT
I present my 3D Printed Silver (Ag) Torch Project.
This is the main body section with serial number 002.

The finished light's specifications are:
An LED-Tech Cree XM-L U2 mounted on a 16mm copper MCPCB,
Shining through a Carclo 10003 20mm TIR lens,
Driven by an uprated 3.04A 8xAMC7135 multi-mode driver set to low/medium/high with memory,