Killer Lumens AVR_ZIF programmer all-in-one!

Been working on this a while (its pretty low priority), I've never been happy with the USBASP's we all use, first off I dont like delicate crap sticking out the side of my laptop (how do people with desktop's that only have USB ports on the rear even use these things?). Also how many times have there been threads about how to connect the SOIC clip since the pinout's are different and they dont just plug straight in?

Well I've set out to make a programmer that takes care of all those issues as well as has a built in ZIF for really easy programming! The board will be populated with all parts stripped from a <$4 USBASP plus a <$2 ZIF socket and a mini USB female socket (to make it hook up to your computer with a cable). The programmer also has a 10 pin female header (the side with the male pins, but its the female side of the connector) that you plug your SOIC clip's ribbon connector straight into, no rewiring require!

Anyway I traced the board and got the schematic hand drawn out over a month ago but only ever got the parts placed on the .sch, not connected with net's. I also needed to make some .lbr parts and up till recently I wasnt very good at that. I've gotten everything netted together now and started laying out the board, looks like I can do it in only about an extra 1" of board space over the USBASP2.0 (which is required for the ZIF), all in all this thing should be under $10 to build (including the USBASP to strip). All these parts are mounted on a single board so its plug and play, no having to wire up other crap.

Not very exciting, this is it for now. As usual anyone interested in helping let me know and I'll send you my files (tho as always I'm sure that wont happen)

That is awesome! I am sorry my proficiency with eagle is a little above hopeless. Or else I'd love to assist you with this.

I dont like delicate crap sticking out the side of my laptop (how do people with desktop's that only have USB ports on the rear even use these things?).

USB extension cord is the key! I use an extension cord, even with my laptop. You are right though, the clips are a pain--they always fail at the worst possible moment.

This is awesome. I wish I could help… But I’ve only gotten as far as installing eagle on my laptop.

In other words, you’re my hero just for starting this project.