Klarus XT12GT Review and Coupon code: $60.99!

Klarus XT12GT
Coupon code: 3cf0d2
Price w/code: $60.99 – Close to the lowest this light has ever been

Banggood Mid-2017 sale

Disclaimer: I was offered my choice of flashlights to review by BangGood
Recently, Banggood.com reached out to me to see if I wanted to review any lights off their site. Since I already have several on my wishlist, I jumped at the chance. For my second light, I chose the Klarus XT12GT.

The XT12GT has been on my list as a stock, single-cell thrower. It seems to be the consensus that this light is the best thrower in its form/size factor.

First, I’ll start off with the specs:

Category| Manufacturer Spec
:—| :—
Max Lumens| 1600
Max Runtime| 200 hours
Battery Config.| 1 x 18650/2 x CR123A
Switch| Dual Tactical Tail Switch/Clicky
Working Voltage| 2.5V-8.4V
Peak Beam Instensity| 90902cd
Range| 603m
Waterproof| IPX-8
Weight| 159g

Packaging
The Klarus XT12GT comes in packaging clearly designed for retail. I actually prefer the stiff cardboard box packaging such as what my Astrolux lights have come in, but the packaging is functional, if somewhat disposable (I know, it’s packaging).

Inside the package is all of the standard fair: Lanyard, Belt Holster, Magnetic Charger(more on that later), Micro USB Cable, and Spare O-Rings.

The light also has a 3600mAh 18650 included.

Head
Starting from the front of the light, you have a relatively large-diameter head, with a deep reflector. The lens is clearly AR coated, and the crown has a decently aggressive bezel. The deep, smooth reflector produces excellent throw, which I will go into later.

Emitter
In the center of the reflector is a dome-less CREE XHP35 HI emitter in about 6000K. It’s a bit blue for me, but not a bad tone at all. The beam is smooth with a clearly defined hot spot and a decent amount of spill. For a thrower, I prefer lightsaber-style lights with minimal spill, but I will admit that this light is more functional due to the smooth spill. On lower settings, this light would work fine as a hiking light or in a car/bag for emergencies.

The real point of this light is it throw of course, and the XHP35 HI delivers. This is the light at just under 200m. It’s a little hard to really show through a picture, but I could have easily read a book using this light from 200m. In fact, with less than ½ the light, I would not have a problem making out text. I previously had de-domed a Nichia 219b and put it into a C8 host. While I love my C8, the XT12GT blows it out of the water.

Switch
The XT12GT has a relatively unique switch setup. It is a tail switch, forward-clicky primary switch which leads directly into Turbo mode and allows for momentary-on. Beside this switch is a paddle-style mode switch. Depending on the mode set you’ve selected, this secondary switch also allows instant access to strobe or low mode (more on that later). Despite this switch setup, the light will still tail stand, even with the lanyard attached.

Clip
I won’t say much about the XT12GT’s clip. It’s not really a pocket clip, I guess it’s maybe a belt-clip? There is nothing wrong with the clip, it’s just that the large diameter head doesn’t really allow for the use of a pocket clip.

UI/Modes
The UI allows for 2 mode sets: Tactical and Outdoor. The Tactical setting has instant Turbo and instant Strobe. The Outdoor mode allows for instant Turbo and instant Low, which I find more useful.

Other Features
In addition to the modes and throw, this light has a couple of other really cool features. First, it has a threaded hole for tripod/weapon mounting. Next, it has a magnetic charger. The charger attaches to the side of the light and allows for USB recharging using the standard micro-USB cable. The magnetic charging spot also has a light ring around it which indicates when the light is charging, charged, or has an error. The light ring also indicates battery level when the light is first turned on: green = >70, amber = 30-70, red = <30%.

Speaking of the magnetic charger, this is actually one of the most interesting features of the light. The charger has a built-in Li-ion battery and an LED which allows it to function as a keychain light.

Negatives
Really, for what it’s designed to do, the light doesn’t really have any glaring negatives. I would like a tighter beam, but that would actually make it less functional. The magnetic charger is in a bit of an awkward position, but works. The clip, as I mentioned, is not very functional. I would also have preferred something in the 4000K-5000K range, but that is mainly preference.

Conclusion
If you’re looking for a good thrower for outdoor use, potential SAR (around the campsite, looking of a dog, etc.), or just want to add a high-throw light to your kit, it would be hard to go wrong with this light. While there are some minor issues, this is a really great light. At the price-point that Banggood is providing it currently ($60.99 w/code), it’s actually incredible, especially when you consider that it comes with an 18650.

If you’ve been thinking about adding a small thrower, I would totally recommend this light.

Also, be sure to check out Banggood’s Mid-2017 sale going on right now https://goo.gl/VKPWEG