Like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs...

You know what? These things are frankly kinda terrifying.

When assembled this thing will, allegedly, start a car without even blinking. 'Maximum Peak Current, 1 second (non-repetitive)' is 220 amps. Short circuit current is eight hundred and forty amps. Charging them up while they're still loose and with the terminals exposed, like I have done here (of course, why wouldn't I?), is most likely a Very Bad Idea. In the safety department they do have an advantage over Li-Ions though, they can safely be discharged down to zero volts, and at that point they are effectively a totally inert battery-shaped thing. Can't do that with Li-Ion.

Since there's been a few discussions about using these in flashlights I'm going to do some experimentin' before I assemble the battery-thing. So far all I've done is charge two of them to 2.1v. Charge rate of 1 amp from a CC/CV adjustable DC-DC converter. From virtually zero (2.5mV) to 2.1 volts at 1 amp took only a bit less than 18 minutes. If you compare that to charging times for a Li-Ion, it should give you at least a little insight into how little capacity these really have.

My plan is to take the two caps charged to 2.1v each, wire them in series, and see how long they will run a LED through a 2800mA 7135 driver.

Please tell your family members to let us know the results and where to send the flowers.Wink

Take a video .

Nice new avatar , by the way .

Large caps scare me too. Looking forward to what you come up with!

LOL, not even long enough to bother with a proper measurement. Somewhere around 4 minutes before it'd hit 3v and the driver started ramping down, and shut off completely after another 20-30 seconds. This was only a plain 8x 350mA 7135 driver.

'Don't try this at home' usually means 'totally you should try this at home!', but no, really, just don't. These things are like hand grenades with the pins gone missing.

I think you will want to wire them in parallel if you’re looking to utilize the maximum storage capacity. When in series, they have half the capacitance of a single capacitor, though the low voltage could be an issue.

KuoH

I'm not looking to maximize storage capacity, I'm just wanting to get an apples-to-apples comparison between these wonder-caps and typical conventional batteries. This is obviously not the kind of application these caps are made for.

Two in series would give 4.2v like a charged LiIon

Interesting indeed. Capacitors can certainly surge enormous Amps for a short burts, now if they can only perfect them in a design to have a capacity and hold a charge for a longer fun time under lower drain loads to match Li-ions or even Ni-MHs would be great.

It’s also not exactly an apples to apples comparison either, since a typical battery type driver isn’t going to operate down to 0V, which is what you’d need to achieve maximum runtime with these. Although it obviously won’t come near a lion battery in capacity, the moderate runtime and quick recharging capability may be useful in some situations if coupled with the right type of driver.

KuoH

Their 'full' rated voltage is 2.7v per, the easiest combo I could come up with was two caps, charged to 2.1v each, then in series for 4.2v.

Yes, of course, to use their full capacity you'd need a boost driver capable of operating all the way down close to zero volts, I don't think anything like that exists. The capacity still wouldn't come close to normal batteries. It would have to be a very unconventional application to make it worth bothering with, something that needed a vewwy vewwy tiny output current, and a super-fast mega amp recharge.

Your avatar looks like a backlit 15DD.

Why…2.1vdc (I could understand if they were 1000Vdc caps or something)

A guy ran a 400watt power inverter and drilled 6 holes in 3/4” plywood from 6 paralleled 35F capacitors (his are 350F)

Dude is doing some AMAZING things with these…and he was the first to start playing with the capacitor starter deal…he even came up with a novel balance circuit to ensure the caps stay fairly close in charge

Go to about 6:10

His Joule Ringer is utterly amazing!

Absolutely…just imagine some day using ultra thin dielectric material covered in graphene and the capacitor rating in farads x10 to the something power :smiley: Like 35e10 Farads

Why? Because 840 amps, that's why. They're loose out in the wild and the terminals are unprotected. 'Course it won't shock you, but I expect a screwdriver accidentally bridging the + and - would be something similar to what happens when you mix sodium and water.

Here's how to defuse the little bombs and make them safe again...

FZZZZZT POW!

:smiley:

its a good thing that they are lower voltage Caps. :slight_smile: some of the bigger ones can really pack a dangerous wallop when they are made angry.

Oh yeah…have some pinhead toss you a AC motor start capacitor from an air condistioner system full charge some time…

Trying to be all funny…was NOT a good day (I wasn’t laughing)

Worst shock I ever got was from a 25” color TV picture tube, (we were breaking the nipples off the tubes to release the vaccum so we could trash em [this was back in 90-91 before the lead in the land fill craze] the high voltage input connection for flyback transformer…shorted to discharge, pulled the clip leads, TV was right under a florescent light…recharged slightly…turned back with the pliers…KAZAPOWINGWTFSAMMICH!!! Threw me 8 feet thru a plate glass window in my electronics class in highschool

I could fit 3 of these things in the glove box...

Nice!

Battery?!?? We don’t need no steenkin’ battery! :smiley:

True if only a Cap can be developed to run as along as a Li-ion but with the amps output and ablity to completely discarge like a Cap then out with the old batteries ! :bigsmile: