Luminus CFT-90 Testing - The Mother of all LEDs

5lbs is super heavy…
The Convoy L6 will do 4000 Lumens, if you put a XHP-70.2 into it and mod the driver for a bit more current. Heat wont be much different than stock. Outside it wont get hot. Inside maybe after quite a while. Output on the stock model starts to drop because the Vf of the LED is higher than the battery voltage. The lower Vf of the XHp70.2 would lengthen the time at maximum output.

A Noctigon Meteor with de-domed XP-L W2 LEDs might also do continuous 4000 Lumens after it has reached a steady state temperature ( it has thermal regulation and starts out around 8000+ lumens). It will be hot (probably 50°C), but it wont get even hotter.

But what does this have to do with the CFT-90, a LED specifically designed to run with very high, continuous power?

I’m fine with a short ridiculous burst, so sign me up for 1 CFT-90 GT.

Having a lot of weight does not mean it will have good cooling.
Cooling is provided by surface area, not weight.
A heatsink with many thin fins will cool multiple times better than 100lbs of aluminum.

If you want a short burst then just buy a flash bulb that lights up for 1/10th of a second and produces many lumens.

Are you asking me?
My response was to what Ronin42 said as evidence by the quotes.

No, more in general because of the shift in topic ;).

BTW: the PCB of the CFT-90 is not electrically neutral, it’s also minus.

I think it would be awesome to have a CFT-90 in a GT.
10 seconds is long enough to recognise what you shine the light upon.
30 seconds is obviously even better.
And you can get rid of the @&%*¿ battery carriers and put 8x 20700 or 21700 high drain cells in it (after some serious modding of course).
Run it in 2p4s config.
Find a driver that does 40 Amperes (or a bit more), won’t be easy to find…
it’s a shame the CFT-90 will cost more than the GT though… Bit of a bummer…

It is NOT 5 lbs. and it is NOT lower cost. However, my TK75vn KT is 3500Lumens/341Kcd and can run 30 minutes on Turbo with no problem for 9 months out of the year. In the summer, I can get 15 to 20 minutes of turbo, step down for 3 minutes and back up to turbo for 15 minutes or so. Not bad at all for a light w/ that much output/throw. :+1:

Put it in front of a luxmeter or in an integrating sphere for 30 minutes, you will see how it does not sustain 3.5k lumens output due to heat.
Just because it is running on turbo does not mean it is producing the max lumens.

to get sustained lumens you need likely an active cooling system, there are sealed waterproof small fans that can do it

Field of dreams,

If you build it, they will come.

My 6th scratch built flashlight is utilizing a de-domed XM-L2 from MaxToch, running 4.61A and making 815Kcd for 1.12 miles throw. It doesn’t get hot. Runs on a single 32650 cell that has 6000mAh capacity.

Okay I don’t doubt that. It certainly is not noticeable by the eye from turn on until 30 minutes later. Maybe it loses a few hundred lumens no big deal not even noticeable.

that plus aspheric, i can only imagine the throw, prbly be in the range of maxabeam

Plus with proper preccolimator possibility of doubling already large beam projection.

With properly matched collar and lens precollimator is redundant as no light hits the sides.
Though I guess to do it perfectly either collar or lens has to be custom….
Even with imperfect but OK matching a precollimator won’t do much.

It’s not.
That would make maybe 3-4Mcd, not 12.

Wow, awesome performance from this new LED. A potential game-changer for us budget modders, if it wasn’t $100+. I’m tempted to mod something like a Haikelite MT02 with this LED and FET driver. Three 18650s in parallel should drive this LED at a pretty good level maybe around 25A. ~5000 lumens and ~270Kcd in a compact package.

Yeah… This maybe is the best for big fat flashlight configurations.

For single 18650 the only thing I would want is XP-G2 S4 2B resurrection or even fake china copy-pasted one.

An interesting development in led tech. I’d be interested to see this led in action but not holding my breathe given the price :money_mouth_face:

i wonder what was it designed for originally, there has to be a reason, seems like it could be used in lcd projectors.