I’ve always wanted to take apart a Malkoff P60 drop-in module to see what makes it so well known for its reliability and recently Malkoff gave me a reason to do so when they put up blemished M61 modules for $29.
Here it is next to a modded Neofab D1000 module.
Note:the Neofab D1000 module was made by neoseikan on CPF. I was lucky enough to get one before he disappeared.
My M61 arrived with very slight hazing on the reflector (only visible from a certain angle) and a slightly off-center emitter. Both blemishes didn’t really affect the beam much.
I removed the potting from the driver side of the module first, using a combination of heat from a soldering iron and flathead screwdrivers to pry the potting out. As I pried out the driver, several components were ripped off the PCB, destroying the driver in the process. Sorry, I do not have pictures of this process, but there are pictures floating out there of people removing their drivers.
Moving on to the fun side of the module, I thought it would be pretty easy to push out the reflector once I had removed all the potting from the driver side. I couldn’t be more wrong.
As you can see, even the underside of the reflector is potted to the module. Reflector totally destroyed in the process. Oh well…
A close up of the reflector, even the channel under the middle lip was potted, hence why I couldn’t simply pull up the reflector.
Here is the bottom of the MCPCB which the XPG-R5 emitter sits on, it was with coated with thermal paste, no thermal epoxy here. Better thermal conductivity I guess.
Blank module all sanded and polished, ready for the transplant. The blank M61 module is quite a bit heavier than the Neofab D1000 module, and the platform (?) which the MCPCB sits on is much thicker as well.
For the new components, I put in an XP-G2 R5 on a KD 16mm MCPCB, a reflector from cnqualitygoods (20mm Aluminum Mill Reflector For XP-G R5 #F4), and a single-mode 1.4A AMC7135 driver.
I used a spare GITD o-ring from a Fenix headband to center and hold the reflector in place. I glued the o-ring to the reflector, then glued the o-ring to the module.
So now you know what makes a Malkoff module so well-known for its reliability: Good thermal management and a knack for injecting potting into every goddamn crack.
Compared to the stock XP-G R5 and reflector, the modded module’s hotspot is roughly the same size but with a more defined transition to spill.
Beamshots coming soon…