Manker E01 spring corrosion

Ok, this is really a budget light. I bought an open box return from the jungle a year or more ago. Love the tint of this light, definitely my favorite. It has always been a bit quirky, which is likely why it was a return. I was looking to use it today and it did not work. Narrowed the problem down to the battery spring in the light tube. I am currently soaking it in vinegar for a bit longer, but wondering if there is any long term way to stop the corrosion? It is pretty hard to see down there, but the light worked with the battery out of the tube and using wires but did not work fully assembled until I attempted to clean the spring. So I knw this is the ultimate problem here.

Dielectric grease will help protect the spring from corrosion. I’m not sure how much of a mess it would be to apply if you don’t remove the spring but it should work.

There is a group buy interest list for some really neat springs right at the moment. If you can replace the spring, that is a better fix.

I would not have thought of this. Dielectric grease is listed as an electrical insulator, which seems like would inhibit the electrical path. I know the grease would get pushed out under pressure though. Definitely would not have thought of this. I will keep this in mind, and am open to other options also.


The spring is buried an AAA battery length down in the tube. I don’t see removing it and installing another in this light.

Yeah I doubt my springs will do much to help, if anything.

He would need to remove the spring, which is easy, but then resolder the spring, which is extremely hard to do without solder paste and a heatgun.

uh, yes :-)*
stop using those cheap old alkalines you’ve been running down
and definitely do not leave them stored in the light if you insist on using them

  • since you did not mention what type of batteries you are using, allow me to AssUme, that you use alkaleaks, based on your past history:
    Alkaline Battery Shoot Out | Candle Power Flashlight Forum have been using a Kirkland AAA battery with a best used by date or Mar 2003

    If the battery was labeled with a 5 year shelf life this one is 19 years old. …I have one more of these 19 year old batteries to test sometime in the future, or perhaps age a bit more.[/QUOTE]

Here is another idea. Remove the O ring, so the vented gasses can escape… not ideal I know, but it IS an idea… lol

and one more thought, borrow a spring from one of your other lights, and just drop it on top of the existing spring. It is possible your light has a weak or short spring, that makes poor contact, thereby accelerating the deposits of vented chemicals in the area of poor contact.

I hope you share your solution, it seems to be a personal problem caused by your individual behavior, no one else has mentioned corrosion in their E01 :wink: :smiling_imp:
just teasing you because I like you, no offense intended
your brother from another mother

DeOxit gold. Expensive but the stuff is amazing.

This is what I use. Works great. And the little bottle goes a long way.

Nice picture, I just got back from there as a matter of fact, complements of Fabio. :smiley: :beer:

And I was using an alkileak, but it had not leaked. No there is a duracell nimh for the foreseeable future.

For now the solution is just clean and put a new battery back in, until I get a better suggestion. Yours may be the winner, and it was the first implemented, so there is something to be said for that. :crown:

I still have tons of old alkileaks around, and no doubt will put one through a torture test as you quoted above, but for the near term its all about rechargables for sure.

Thanks for the good natured humor, always enjoyed. :innocent:

I have done no independent research, but this seems to make more sense than the insulating grease. I definitely appreciate all suggestions, just my critique FWIW, which may not be much.

I was using an alkileak, but it had not leaked.[/QUOTE]

uuum, DeNial is not a river in Egypt
Thanks for tolerating my sense of humor

I would argue that the alkileak had in fact vented inside your light, possibly in the form of hot chemical laden gasses, that condensed on the cooler end, furthest from the LED
to wit
you found the residue on the spring :slight_smile:

I just love being right, dont you?

one more, from my younger daze


Reference lyrics at 1:04

one trick i use for protecting the spring contacts is using a drop of 3-1 oil or mineral oil to protect them from Alkaline leakage or moisture. its worked for me for years in my lights & lanterns.