I just got done praising 18650 flashlights and rechargeable batteries and it seems to have come back around to bite me in the butt.
I charged my friend’s Nitecore 2300mAh 3.7v 18650 batteries with my nitecore i2 intellicharger, and now the Nitecore MH40 Thor no longer works. Niether the nitecores nor the panasonic 3400mAh 18650 work in the Thor (All 4 batteries test roughly 4.15v [reading off an old, old non-digital multimeter]). The light flickered for a fraction of a second after about 10 minutes of fiddling around with the tailcap, I have yet to replicate the flickering since then.
The MH40 is about 2-3 years old iirc.
Edit: strikethrough’d the part about recharging the batteries, I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with the light not working.
My best guess is that something is loose inside the light, but I don’t even know where to begin with that.
disassemble -> clean -> assemble -> test.
first thing to do…
Alright, I shall do that when I get home. Thanks.
Apologies it took such a long time to update.
I switched out the tailcaps on the Thor. The tailcap on this works when placed on the Thor, but the original Thor tailcap does not work on the thor or the xml-t6.
I’ve cleaned the contact point inside the Thor tailcap, but I have no idea where to begin if I need to disassemble it further.
If the inside of the tailcap has a retaining ring with two small holes in it you can use tweezers or needlenose pliers to tighten the ring. It may just be loose and not getting a good connection. If that doesn’t solve it, take the tailcap apart, clean, reassemble and tighten.
Sometimes the actual switch in the tailcap will fail. In that case you will have to replace the actual switch.
annnnnd it works.
I can’t believe I didn’t see the threads on the inside there.
I’m not really sure if it was loose though, I fiddled around with it, but couldn’t get it to unscrew. I wanted to check out the innards. I did take apart the xml-t6, such a simple device I had a much more complex image in my head. Cool beans. Thanks for the info!