Modding the Shadow JM35

Hey everyone, this is my first post, so please be gentle!! :slight_smile:

I recently bought a jm35 from banggood in hopes of modding, but I can’t seem to figure out how to remove the driver. Iv’e tried unscrewing everything I can think of, but to no avail. Has anyone else here opened theirs up? If so , how? I have searched the forums, but I haven’t found anything to answer that question yet. Thanks in advance!

Often, drivers are pressed in. Maybe you can pry it out, or push it through the wire holes after taking the LED and star off. Or there might be a threaded ring holding it in, or the thin sides of the pill crimped over it.

i think the head has 2 parts which are glued.

I failed to open it while i made my review because i didn’t want to damage it cause the giveaway…

are you going to mod the boost driver. ?
I don’t remember ever seeing that.
How is it done ??

Well, the initial idea was to see what kind of driver was in there and possibly reprogram it if it was a atmel based chip. The modes are decent, but I’m really not a fan of turning it off. Gotta hold the button down for a couple of seconds to shut it off. I do think it’s glued in there cause I’ve had no chance with either the plate behind the emitter or the insert that holds in the driver.

Most glue will soften with acetone. The board I tried acetone on survived it.

Worth a shot. I’ll go grab some from the hardware store and try it. If that doesn’t work I’ll give the heat gun a try.

Sorry to bring this old post up but did you manage to open the head and remove the driver?

Nah, I just left it as is. It’s a decent light without modifying.