Monkey Fist

Hey Photon Master,

Whether you have your Monkey's Fist custom-made to your specs using the heavy tungsten ball you choose, or if you make your own, you'll want to give some thought to the section of cord between the heavy tungsten ball at the center of the MF ball, and to whatever you choose as a connector such as a Split Ring, Shackle, etc.

This section will require a certain degree of stiffness if you want to be able to control its accuracy when it's swung at a target. One way this could be easily accomplished, even if the one from Ebay has already been completed, is by adding a braid directly over the strands (usually 2) between the ball and connector. The degree of stiffness can be controlled by the type & thickness of the cordage used (550# paracord vs Type-1 Utility Cord for example), how tightly or loosely its woven, and the braid pattern you choose such as a Cobra Weave. Take a look at this link to see how Essexman used a Cobra Weave on the black Monkey's Fist he made and shown at the bottom of post #341. In addition to practice, this will increase your ability to accurately control your Monkey's Fist when its used as a self-defense tool.

I just wanted to be sure you considered this for when your project is being made, or even after it's made. Best wishes!

I don’t know jack shit about the law for the these devices in Missouri. I know I can carry a gun in most places but I can’t conceal a OTF knife without a concealed weapons permit. Go figure. I’m gonna have to look at those laws. It’s been a while since I poked through them.

How is this cord?

TOUGH-GRID 750lb Paracord / Parachute Cord - 100% Nylon Mil-Spec Type IV Paracord
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9GIS8Q/?coliid=IU2AH3S53YQH9&colid=9XL4DYKH41E6&ref\_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1

In most of the European countrys a heavier weighted monkeyfist in your pocket is considered a weapon.
With things like a heavy tungsten ball inside rightly so as made and carried with intent to maim or kill.
If you are at sea on an old fashioned sailing boat maybe no issue, in a town or city things get serious.
Claiming a short cord makes it less deadly is not going to get a person out of trouble, more like in to more.
If you also have a flashlight with more than 300 Lumen power in the area covered by german traffic law and
get caught with it on you have multiple weapons offenses. More than 300 Lumens brings a potential charge for
carrying and using a light weapon.
Probably a full search including body cavitys, drug tests, alcohol test, unless all is quietly submitted to
resistance charges and arrest follows…
Worth it, no way.

What?! Never heard of it. You can carry as much light as you want. (Often I carry 15,000 lm or more with me.) Never heard of a flashlight considered as a weapon. Just don’t mount any flashlight on your vehicle (car or bike) – even 1 lm would be prohibited.

Thanks for the info!

I’ll probably get roasted for saying this but i always carry some sort of defensive weapon like a tactical pen or a Microtech money clip. I figure if things go south and I need to defend myself it’s worth bending the rules a little bit even if I need to call a good lawyer

Why would you get roasted for saying that? The right to defend one’s self is the most basic right of all.

2 Thanks

Ha, I’m in good company then…

1 Thank

You’re surrounded by slaves who would slit your throat if it were illegal not to. They’ll do anything but disobey their masters, given a certain authoritative framework. This is why genocide is possible, over and over again. They don’t ask questions. They do what they’re told.

2 Thanks

True that my friend! Keep safe