MS Word Starter 2010 help!

Maybe someone can help me here or point me in the first direction.

I have a newer computer (this year) and it came with Win7 64bit.

It also came with MS Word Starter 2010. I just need something to use to write letters, resumes, address envelopes, etc.

Word Starter worked the last time I tried it. I have recently had to buy a new printer. I also had a virus and not to start the computer from a point going back a few days.

None of these things should have had any effect but now MS Starter doesn’t work.

A dialog box comes up that says MS Word Starter can’t be opened. Try again or repair the product in the Control Panel. I tried again…same thing. I don’t know how one “repairs” the product in Control Panel. I didn’t get any disc for this with my new computer.

Any idea what is going on?

I wish I could help you. If I had the thing sitting in front of me, I may be able to figure something out, but I do more harm than good when trying to remotely troubleshoot. However, I can suggest you try Open Office. There’s a whole suite of programs available that all perform much like the corresponding MS products. They’re open source, which translates to free but the community behind such software does enjoy a little donation from time to time.

Besides all that, MS products tend to bog down your system and be very prone to security exploitations.

That’s my advice anyhow. It’s worth at least what you paid for it. :wink:

ETA: I re-read your post and realized what the final question was. To repair programs, it’s the same as installing/uninstalling them. The control panel can be set up a couple different ways, but just look for the add/remove (or just remove) programs option. Once in there, find the problem program, select it, and choose the repair option. I’ve actually never had occasion to do it, so I can’t tell you how effective it is. Good luck!

ETA (again): The Control Panel can be found in the start menu. I’m never sure of the level of computer experience of anyone, so I hope I don’t offend if I sound like I dumbed it down.

+1 for OpenOffice

I finally got to the “repair” section and that did the trick. If this keeps being a problem I will just download one of the other wordprocessing programs.

Gcbryan, I had a similar problem a while ago and I got Dell to send me a reinstall disc for Windows 7 but with MS Word on it. Or you could try out MS 2012, which they are letting you download to "try it" out now.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en/try-office-preview