MtnDon's Hand Made Class, 7th Annual BLF/OL contest entry topic

Well look at this! Wood! I am putting aside the metal work for a little while I make some of the components needed to complete this project.

That is a small scrap of padauk to drill a hole with a brad point bit. For the non-wood folks, the brad point is a wood only bit. That point makes it easier to precisely locate the bit on the desired center. As well the point helps keep the bit centered as it starts. The bit also has sharpened slicing edges around the perimeter of the hole. That cuts the wood fibers more cleanly and makes for a nicer hole.

Since I don’t have an actual countersink bit larger than 1/2” I used a 7/8” steel twist bit to countersink the two holes I drilled in the padauk.

I’ll be back later with more that I did today. I just had to get the use of wood pictures into the topic.

This is some of what was left over from my 2017, 5th Annual BLF / Old Lumens Scratch Made Light Contest entry. I do hang onto scraps of the exotic woods for a long time. :slight_smile:

This light has a normal white front light as well as the rear-facing red taillight. There are separate switches. The switches will be mounted to a piece of perforated strip PCB. I decided to solder the tabs to the perf strips and had to bend the lugs 90 degrees to do so. The switches will be fitted into silicone boots through the two holes drilled in the padauk.

I am breaking or interrupting, one of the copper strips to isolate the switches. Done with a sharp X-Acto knife. This break will be under one switch body. There will be another break under the second switch.

I pre-tinned the switch tabs and one of the PCB points.

I did not photograph every step. The next photo shows the two switches soldered to the pcb and held in place with small spring clamps to facilitate soldering one common power wire. This joint will be from the battery and sharing the power feed to both switches.

That joint completed…

…with the silicone switch boots…

…fitted through the holes in the padauk… (the padauk has yet to be finish sanded; it is rough, just the way it came out of the sawing and drilling.

The next shot shows the other two wires soldered to the pcb. One of these will feed power to the front end driver and the other the rear driver.

A side view with the carrier set in front of the Al tube, positioned inline with the position the carrier will be when slid into the Al tube. The switch assembly is more or less positioned where it will be located when fitted to the Al tube. Imagination required.

The strip pcb board is too flexible for my liking. It was what I had on hand but I believe it will flex too much when finally assembled and a switch is clicked. I plan to epoxy a strip of 1/16” G10 fiberglass to the underside of the pcb. The G10 is considerably stiffer than the pcb material. Here is how I cut down an already narrow, but too wide, piece of G10. I use the wood blocks (clamped in the vice) as a straight line guide and saw using a Japanese style. Ryoba saw. These blades have no set to the teeth, so they do not cut into or scratch the guide blocks. These saws have a thin blade and cut on the pull. That can take a little time to leearn when you first use a Japanese saw. They make a wonderfully fine cut.

That is it for today. Stay tuned and thanks for viewing. The next update will be early next week I think.

Nice build progress :+1:

Nice work Don, Justin would be watching with keen interest I’m sure! :wink:

More work on this today, and two errors or glitches that required resolution.

But before the problems I made mount blocks for the switch board. I scrounged around and found some nylon blocks that were just about exactly the right thickness. I found four of these nylon spacers left over from my days of racing RC cars. Originally for an Associated RC10, one of them gave itself to this light.

Cut and trial fitted…

Epoxied to the padauk wood strip…

Closer up…

I needed to drill and tap two holes for securing the copper carriage inside the Al tube. This is where my first problem happened today. I drilled the first hole and tapped the hole in the copper for a #6-32 machine screw. I started the second tapping and I messed up. I broke the tap. Crap. And it was bound tight in the copper. I was using Tap magic, but I guess I was going too fast, didn’t back off enough to clear chips… whatever. I could not remove the broken portion of the tap so left it and made an new hole. I ground the stub down with a dremel tool. The second try tapped easily.

So the Al tube has an extra hole in the bottom. So does the copper but that is invisible when the unit is assembled. I think I may drill/tap the extra hole in the aluminum and fit a very short screw to block the hole.

Next was to drill and tap two holes in the switch assembly nylon spacer blocks. That was easy; #4-40 size.

Test fitted and it looks like I need to countersink that plate a little more.

Both holes done

I did a mock up on the table and as I feared there was too little clearance between the switch plate assembly and the front driver mount on the carrier. :person_facepalming:

The switch assembly is touching the copper carrier and the pasauk wood does not appear to touch. To be certain I need to cut a slotted hole in the Al tube top.

I filed off some material on the upper area of the driver mount on the copper carrier

Time to take the three main components and trial fit them…

View from the top with the carrier inserted…

Well, the switch assembly still contacts the carrier, preventing the padauk strip from fitting properly…

A combination solution; first I sanded down the front end of the switch plate assembly… (I also properly countersunk the screw heads)

As well some more filing of the interfering portion of the carrier.

Here’s a test fit with a 17mm driver. There is just a skin of brass left there. The driver fits.

Another view. The driver will be soldered in place at two spots around the negative outer contact ring.

More next time, in a day or so. Thanks for looking in.

The suspense is killing me. :beer:

It’s looking cool, thanks for all the pics! And the pics themselves are excellent quality too :slight_smile:

Thank you.

It is amazing what this Galaxy S9+ will do.

I second this :o
I still can’t conceive it completely in my mind, but this is a very nice work :wink:

I’ve made a little halting progress over the past 2 days.

The padauk wood strip with the switch block would normally hve the wires soldered at each end to the various components. Not that I expect to be removing and reinstalling the top wood plate and switches from the main body very much I dislike a lot of what I consider unecessary desoldering and resildering. Therefore I have elected to use a small Deans plug to connect the three switch wires to the manin components.

Deans conectors are used a lot in RC aircraft, usually for control servos. I have a few left over from my flying days. I had checked them years ago and found that these little ones are okay at 8 amps. That is more than this light will ever operate at. So here is a shot of the male plug with power wires soldered to the connector. The shrink wrap is ready to be heat sealed once slid over the soldered joints.

Here’s the female part with wires soldered and plugged into the male plug

Here’s the male plug and wires soldered to the switches on the padauk wood strip

Holes were drilled through the padauk strip and the aluminum tube. The holes in the aluminum were tapped for 4-40 threads and the padauk countersunk. It fits! But needs finish sanding.

Here’s the TP5000 charger board with the indicator led soldered in place.

Here is the mcpcb for the rear red colored XP-E2 leds. It has been modified. I have tested it with the multimeter and everything will work even with the notch. The reason for the notch will become apparent soon enough.

Progress comes with some setbacks at times. Several posts ago I showed the front “lens”, made from lexan, glued to the front end of the aluminum tube. The copper carrier slides in from the rear of the aluminum tube. There will be a similar rear lexan lens. However, the rear lens cannot be glued on. It needs to be removable. My first idea was to use a 3/16” piece of lexan instaed of the 1/8” I used for the front. That plan included cut a” “rabbet” “:Rabbet - Wikipedia(a notched out edge) around the perimeter in order to allow the lexan to be partially inserted into the tube. I decided that was a bad idea as trying to cut a 1/8” wide by 1/16” deep rabbet in lexan is more difficult than cutting the sand in wood, my usual media. So I decided to try gluing a lager piece of lexan to a smaller piece and creating a glued up “rabbeted” part. That was going to work it seemed after my test glue up. Howerver, the 3/16” piece npw seemed too thick; thicker than the front lexan lens. In the end I cut 2 new pieces of 1/8” lexan to make a new, and I hope, final, rear lens. I have included some pictures of the first idea and have e=nded the series with a shot of the final, glued up pieces.

I hope what I just wrote along with the images, makes sense.

The 3/16”lexan cut and sanded to aluminum tube OD size.

Trial fitting of th lexan piece that was to fit inside the tube, before any gluing

The thick and thin pieces glued up. And not to be used

The newly cut 1/8” lexan pieces. The outer sides of the larger plate will be cut parallel to the smaller and sanded to the exterior dimensions of the aluminum tube. I’m using a crystal clear expoxy and now have to wait for it to cure hard until more work on it tomorrow.

I cut both the copper carrier and aluminum tube down to their final size. The final length of the aluminum tube is 7-5/8” (194mm) This picture has the unused rear lexan lens shown. Disregard it; but it does give an idea of what the to-be finished lens will look like.

The final image for today, shows the shortened carrier with the charger board cemented to the heat sink area. The triple red E2’s do function. Hoorah for that.

Thanks for dropping by. More to come.

Cliffhanger… What’s with the notch?! I guess I’ll have to wait for the next episode (unless I missed it somewhere). Looks like it’s all coming together.

Nice updates Don. Your full of surprises. Remote control car racing? I have two left feet when it comes to using any remote control.
Glad I’m not the only one that snaps taps off. :beer:

I have been spending some time here and there polishing the aluminum tube. I am up to 1500 grit and here’s what I have. (Usually I’m trying to avoid glare and shiny in taking photos; here I’m trying to show it off. :wink: It’s not perfect, maybe never will be, but there is still time for more polishing.

OK now, back to where I left off yesterday. With the charger board in place, the next step is to mount and secure the USB-C port to the copper carrier. I decided to make a wood block as a holder and cement and screw the assembly to the carrier.

Chiseling out a slot for the pcb and socket…

The wood block is made in two halves and will clamshell the pcb and socket.

…like this. The protruding portion of the socket will fit through the copper bottom strip. FYI, the two larger contact pads are the ground and 5 volt+; the ground is the one at the upper edge in the photo. The way this port is setup there is +5 VDC at that pad no matter which way the USB-A to C cord is inserted.

Trimming off the pieces that will be used…

I soldered the wires that feed power into the charger to the USB-C port board. Then I tested it again, just to be sure I have not messed up something. The led still lights and with a partially charged cell touched to the positive and negative outputs the led changed to red as it should.

I glued the block halves together, with the USB-C board sandwiched. …

Almost forgot that I wanted to post this next image. This is the business end of my 1/4” wood chisel. It is pretty sharp; has a keen edge, cuts with very little pressure.

Thanks again for looking.

Three more pictures to finish off the day.

The USB port block glued into position with epoxy…

The bottom of the carrier showing the #2 screw placed to help hold the USB block in place.

Another view

I don’t think I’m qualified to be in the same room with that chisel. I think my hands would look like swiss cheese!

My friend who is a doctor has told me that injuries made with very sharp tools are nicer to treat as the cuts have such nice smooth edges. :slight_smile:

I use a sharpener with a series of grits available, starting with 120, then 400, 1000 and 3600. If I don’t do anything stupid I seldom need the 120 grit.

In reality though, sharp tools are safer as they cut with less pressure required. Same thing with kitchen knives. One does have to be careful about their storage and carrying them from place to place.

Yes Don, I jest. I was raised that a sharp knife is more safe than a dull one for that very reason. If my EDC can’t easily shave hair off my arms, time to hit the sharpener.

If I did what you did Don it woodn’t work. :beer:

:wink:

Watching this unfold makes me feel like a horse being led around by a carrot on a string with MtnDon holding the pole.
Outstanding performance :+1: