New Independent Flashlight Website [www.gadgetconnections.com]

Hey all Im a new website trying to get things up and running.
Its just me running the show from my house currently.

I have a long intro that I posted on Reddit that you can read HERE

Long and short of it is my selection is limited, but I hope to grow it soon.

I have now extended a coupon code I wanted to share:

RedditGCS20

Will get you 20% OFF any Wuben product I have, for a limited time only.

I also am able to price match, meet or beat anyones price. just message me here or on the chat on the site.

Listen, I am happy to help anyone with anything. I really am trying as hard as I can to get this site off the ground. I hope you take the time and read my Reddit post above.

I look forward to hear from you all

mods - I have read the rules and I do not think I have broken any of them. If I did it was not on purpose, please do not ban me. :slight_smile:

7 Thanks

Make yourself at home, GadgetConnections.co!
You actually read the rules?
A lot of Commercial Sellers don’t do that. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Thanks

Yes of course. it is better for me to read and follow the rules and be able to get my word out than lose a really good platform of my peers.

Hey mods? How can I potential advertise a banner here?

3 Thanks

Welcome on BLF, have a good one !

1 Thank

There’s only one mod here, Mr. Admin a.k.a. sb56637 (or sb/SB for short.)
You should probably PM him to discuss advertising on BLF.
Just click on @sb56637 and choose “Message”.

2 Thanks

Or, in the column at your left side under “Community” click on the text: “Contact the Admin”.

2 Thanks

Thank you guys!

2 Thanks

Welcome!
Good luck with your new site!

2 Thanks

Thank you. Thank you.

1 Thank

Welcome to BLF, Dom, and good luck with the biz! Good to see the enthusiasm and transparency. :slight_smile:

Have you considered maybe stocking Convoy lights and parts? There’s a hole in the domestic market now since the few who were doing that have tapered off or disappeared, and there are tons of Convoy users and modders. It’d be great to be able to get some of his drivers, lenses, reflectors, boards, gaskets, etc. quickly even if it costs a little more.

And heck, I’ve always thought that “someone” should put together a simple Modder’s Kit in a little organizer, where people could get a handy assortment of bits to play with or use as spares, etc. The closest I’ve ever seen was when Lumintop had a Tool AA kit, sorta. I think one of those would sell like hotcakes especially with so many new enthusiasts that want to get into emitter swaps on reddit, or just play with optics and such. Simon has a great selection of course but Kaidomain has a lot more and they’re fairly cheap…probably could get organizer boxes on the cheap in higher volumes. Just a thought but I know that’s leaning toward a product category and focus that isn’t your store right now.

On your DC Fix…maybe consider some larger pieces? If I want to cover a C8 lens or many reflector lights, your pre-cut discs would be too small so I’d have to buy it from Boaz or Vinh or get a door-sized roll of it. Maybe something like a 2" x 6" and a larger square ( like 6" x 6") would be good to offer. Pretty handy stuff.

And clips. Good clips. :slight_smile:

2 Thanks

+1. I just had to buy the 10packs of a bunch of LED gaskets/centering rings from Kaidomain because I wanted a couple of each size.

Also, o-rings. I can never find the right size, lights seem to use much thinner diameter rings than you get in the plumbing section of hardware stores.

2 Thanks

Wow. Wow. Thank you for the reply. You are the second person to recommend that I get some convoy. I would love to. I spoke to Simon early on and the margin just was not there at all. As familiar as I am with most the brands. I own most of them. Wuben. Olight. Lumintop. Hank lights. List goes on and on. I don’t have any convoys. I find their naming convention confusing.

Any way. I hear you loud and clear and am going to try to reach out to Simon again. I would love to stock Convoy and parts. Gonna contact Simon again rn. As for the DC fix. I don’t have the equipment to punch any bigger sizes. But I could do squares and if you tell me the round sizes you are looking for I can do my best to find a way to punch them to that size. For what it is worth. The sizes I do have fit PERFECT in Hank lights

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

1 Thank

Hey you thing you could help me out with the Convoy Idea? What are the popular models?
S2+
S21a?
I see it looks like there is a thrower? C8?
S6?

All these
xml2- emitter options. I dont know these emitters either. Are the colored?

With shipping and Duty tax which I cant avoid, I would have to sell at like $25 for an S2+

More depending on emitter options.

Thanks for the help!

It’d certainly be worth a shot, and since Simon never really does coupons/sales/discounts it might be easier than the dog-eat-dog price wars that are so common. His lights have a loose series-naming arrangement…it varies a little. S, M, and L are for the most part small/medium/large. The newer “21” is for 21700 cells. As he expanded with so many more new models things sometimes make less sense, but that’s the gist of it for the most part.

I’m fully set on DC Fix for myself and cutting it. Some drafting circle templates are wonderful to have (three or four in metric and SAE sets you for life, for hand cutting)…there are thicker acrylic ones that are better for using with a knife but the very thin ones serve for laying out. The NT Cutter C2500-P is a wonderful tool to have as well. There are relatively inexpensive manual punch die cutters that are used for jewelry/trinkets and I think Harbor Freight still has a decent cheaper version, but the sizing isn’t always what’s needed for various lens sizes. Cheaper automotive gasket punch sets are also handy (with a little honing). But I was just thinking from a modder’s point of view and all the sizes of light heads. :slight_smile:

Oh gosh, there’s lots…more popular models than unpopular ones maybe. lol. Shouldn’t have any duty taxes in the US but he/aliexpress does charge and remit sales tax. Free shipping from him almost always but on very large heavier orders like a whole bunch of lights, I’m not sure how he handles that…most often the “free” semi-subsidized shipping is just included in the retail pricing.

The hot emitter options these days are the 519A and perhaps the upcoming 719A, plus the Osram flats, and some of the Chinese emiters like the SFN. Some of these take different drivers based on emitter requirements (max amps and/or voltage levels).

S2+ is like the bog standard basic tube light everyone-should-have-one-or-a-few lights…simple and durable but also one of the best basic platforms for tinkerers to get their feet wet, learn about emitters and optics without too much hassle or expense, etc. Stocking just the hosts instead of completed lights might be a good option. I don’t know if the S2+ is as popular as it used to be since so many compact lights and multi-emitter versions have been introduced.

S21 (personally I like B more than A) is the same just a bit larger for 21700 cells. The other S21 lights seem to have been very popular, and S12.

The M21 lights have been well recieved. Lots of people like side switches instead of tail clickies.

The C8 is age-old but Simon updated the looks a little and added colors - also a great way for people to get a cheap simple thrower and play more with emitter sizes vs. reflector size to learn about throw and beams. He has the M21A which is the same host pretty much, with 21700 instead of 18650.

His 14500/AA lights have been pretty popular, too…nice looks, colors, simple, great as gifts. T2 was the original, black and like a mini S2. T3 is a little fancier and has other slight improvements. The titanium versions are beautiful and a great value for ti.

The L lights always seem to have a more limited market but they’re good packages for throwers or wall-of-light beams. The L21B was created by one of his dealers in New Zealand just for night hunters/rifle mount and seems to have been well received - can’t beat it for the price compared to most of the gun-oriented lights. Not sure if that’s a market you’d want to try to get into or service.

I don’t know how his multi-cell soda can lights have done. More competition there these days and the Sofirn/BLF models have maybe been more popular.

There’s so much to choose from and of course you can’t lay out thousands of dollars to carry a wide range and risk some that just sit on your shelves. I’d probably focus on 519B for general use lights and maybe consider a few temperature choices like 5000, 4500, 3000 (5500/5700 less popular but a lot of people do still prefer the cooler white). At least over on reddit, all of the colored emitters seem to be popular but that might just be a fad or a collector’s/fun thing.

One caveat based on those of us ordering from him for years and a handful of dealer comments is that you will probably want to spend time with QC checks/tests for whatever lights you stock from Convoy, and be prepared to learn the simple fixes and adjustments like retaining rings, mcpcb/reflector inspection, emitter centering/height. Not uncommon to see little things like metal dust or small flakes in the lights that should be cleaned away from threads and contact points (true for all lights but is often more common with our budget brands).

The parts trove might be the better avenue, maybe. I think the majority of people are willing to pay a little more than direct-from-China if they can get what they need and have it sooner. That seems to be true of Amazon sales as some brands have opened up shop there, and I get the impression that many aren’t as strictly budget-concerned anymore as long as they’re getting a decent product/value.

3 Thanks

Also important to consider is that the 5700k 519a is very popular for de-doming as it has a neutral tint with rosy DUV after dedoming (very easy for the 519a specifically) while becoming more throwy. It is one of my personal favorite LEDs for general purpose EDC lights, and probably one of the overall favorites because of the nice tint and decent throw.

For the medium or large throwers the best emitter options to have are probably W2, SFT40, and SBT90.2 depending on the light’s size.

It would be a good thing to also stock replacement glass lenses for popular flashlights, maybe polycarbonate lenses as a more durable replacement option for popular enthusiast lights, like the S2+, C8+, and Emisar D4 platform (D4v2, DW4, D4K, KR4). Stocking some of the harder to find emitters like the chinese ultra high power SFN/SFH series would be nice as well, as they’re very powerful but hard to find reliable sellers for. Parts such as copper spacers, reflectors, and optics (carclo triple and quad, maybe ledil olga for the Emisar D1) would also be quite nice, as many sellers for optics either sell only in bulk or have ridiculous shipping costs for small orders.

2 Thanks

Thanks again for the lengthy reply. The D-c fix I can take care of n/p.

Spare parts might take a bit more effort.

As far as Duty goes, it really hit or miss. Being a large commercial order I often DO have to pay duty through DHL/UPS once the units arrive and clear customs, sometimes i dont.

There is no reason to it, but Duty is often $100s. There is nothing myself or the manufacturer can do about it. I dont pay tax as I have all my licenses and and regitrations in order with the fed and state.
I could for sure do some QC on the units before they ship. It always makes me nervous to ship items in factory sealed boxes and not be able to check the light before it goes.
I am very familur with most of the emitters, its the XML options I am not familar with.

As far as spares. Im going to ask Simon about this too. Like I said you are the 2nd knowledgable person to tell me to look into convoy, so i am going to.

Guns lights, I did not originally order any as Wuben is only working on one now (spoiler alert, its not going to be that good) but its going to be a first attempt for them so kudos on that. Wuben always seems to get it right eventually. The X series truly is amazing. I have been going to local sporting goods and gun shops in the areas and had bought a couple OLIGHT guns lights, they got gobbled up pretty quickly. One customer bought one as I was there talking to the owner about wholesaling.

Gotcha! On the XM-L…I don’t know if those would be worth stocking. I wouldn’t call it irrelevant because it’s still an excellent and efficient emitter, but the SST-40 may have passed it up and seems to be used by more manufacturers these days. The SST-40 doesn’t have much to offer in the way of color temp and tint choices, however, while the XM-L give more options. The two-letter designation is part of the ordering bin code and tells you roughly what color temp and duv/tint the emitter is - sometimes Simon lists the full bin (or it might be shown on the individual emitter page rather than on pages for the complete lights) if you want to look those up on the datasheet. He usually goes middle-ground on bins, choosing decently efficient ones with an acceptable tint rather than the “best” bins…depends on his opinion and also on what is actually available to buy.

I think a lot of current and new flashlight folks aren’t so familiar with the XM-L anymore. Lots will prefer high CRI and warmer tints now, accepting the loss in lumens. Various Osram and unknown Chinese emitters seem to be used more in the mass market (plus the SST-40) and the XM-L seems to have gone more or less quiet. That’s just the whims of the market, though, and for people who just want bright light and don’t know or care about other light qualities, the XM-L will make them happy (same reason that those Osram ones are used a lot…Olight is fond of certain flavors of those).

If it were me and I had limited stock, etc., I’d probably focus on the hot popular ones instead because even if you had to close them out at cheap prices someday, people may be more likely to buy a 519A or whatever while they may pass up cold white or uglier emitters even if it’s a great price. That’s for a market that knows something, anyway…general public, not so much concern. All that said, outside of the enthusiast world, and maybe the rock hound/gemology world, most people have never heard of Convoy, so it may present a little marketing challenge (but at least it doesn’t sound like an alphabet soup china “brand” and they look nice, not like the flood of cheapies on amazon, etc). Simon has just never tried to grow huge but I think he could…he did set up an Amazon account but it didn’t seem to go anywhere and prices weren’t good at all, plus all shipped from China as usual.

I had another thought…the UV lights. That’s a niche market but it’s really grown. There’s a lot of junk or overpriced mediocre UV lights on Amazon and in various outlets but the models that Simon makes are very good. There is some legal stuff with a certain patent and I believe some contractual agreement(s) in place with that guy and some of the rock hound site, but if you could become a domestic source of quality inexpensive UV lights that might be a great thing. He has the S2, S2+, S12 triple, and M21A dual cell boost driver with a really powerful emitter. They would all be worth stocking, imo, but you’d also want to stock all of the black ZWB2 filter glass lenses to go with them (that patent prevents you from selling them with the glass installed but users can do that very simply themselves). It would be great to have a domestic source for those lights rather than waiting a month. Markets include automotive/hvac, naturalists, those that live in scorpion country, pet owners (although they’ll often go cheapie instead), and the rock hounds or flashaholics…maybe some “maker” DIY types for UV-curing glues and whatnot. But…niche market still.

1 Thank

Yes i am familar with:

STT-20
SST-40
Nichia 519s
E21-R9080
W1
W2
XHP 70.3
FC-40 R9050
etc etc

I looked at some cheap but really nice UV lights. I even got a sample and they are nice, but I didnt see much of a market for them. I do have a Wuben P26 in stock which I thought is cool. both white and UV light.

its even hard to find his official store…find a light here…light there, but no full list of lights, Hank style.

Its really nice talking to you, thank you for taking the time!

3 Thanks

Alright. so i went and ordered a few units. They should be here by the end of the month…and we will go from there :laughing: :crossed_fingers:

1 Thank