New site format

Ah I see, going back to my old posts it may have been an issue with the transfer and not adding the extra spaces, I opened them up to edit and the video embed worked. Thanks!

Great! And my apologies if it caused extra work for you. I tried to add exceptions to the migration code to make most of the previous Youtube links turn into watchable embedded videos, even some links that used to be just links now display the video. But I guess you win some and you lose some.

1 Thank

Unfortunately, Discourse demands users have the latest browsers and/or platform, and and is quite picky about it, instead of allowing the user to bear the risk, they’ve taken it out of your hands.

“Crap” is a kind way to put it.

Not exactly a format issue but if click on my BLF tab, this appears: Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

I have to click on the BLF logo on the uppermost right to go to the “normal” BLF front page.

Also, I cannot find the “Last post” … Do I have to scroll all the way down from the beginning to post in the thread?

Edit: I just discovered that to go to the Last Post, I just click on the Replies number counter, then click again on the bottom selector.

Hi there @tatasal , what’s the URL for that page?

It should take you directly to the first new reply that you haven’t read yet.

I think I found something unfortunate. Browsing around kicking tires, I started to look up some old threads to see how photos and such fared. CRX’s fantastic emitter reference seems to be so compressed as to be nearly unusable now. On the thread itself, it obviously loads instantly but users have to click on the photos now. But those photos look pretty small, even when doing the auto one-step zoom. Looks like we may need to open it another way or perhaps save it and open it in a utility. The way it used to be was perfect and all of the small details (and graphs, too) were readable without having to enlarge anything. Can this be fixed somehow? This one in particular is such an important reference that people share and link to pretty frequently, still, all these years later.

EDIT: Looks like the mouseover feature is gone…forgot about that and how useful it was for that thread. Does seem like a right click on the imgur page to open it in a new tab helps to enlarge it some more.

I guess I’m lucky.
I’m using an older version of Opera, and Discourse hasn’t complained yet.
I know that not everyone is as lucky as I am on this subject, though, and that is a real problem. :thinking:

Sorry SB,

I really disagree with guys saying nice, new, modern site!
I really hate new style of website:

• Endless scrolling to get down to the end of thread?
  • Narrow field of view! Where did large field of view disappeared?
  • Lost thread subscriptions
    … Everything…

Or I am simply too dumb to use it? Which is certainly one of the reasons…

IMHO you really had a perfect and simple website before, like rarely any other forum website, and I am forum member on 4 world forums and always considered how good and simple Old BLF is!

So yes… I am in: “Return Old website back” group!

Best Regards
LI

There a cursor on the right which you can slide to any date, both start and end date are clickable.

2 Thanks

platform transition pain relief: a prescription for “subscriptions”

on the old blf platform (drupal), one tool—subscriptions—served four distinct purposes: (1) to send an email notification when a new post was added to a thread of interest, (2) to set a placeholder to easily return where you left off reading a thread, (3) to gather a collection of useful/interesting threads, and (4) to keep a list of threads you participated in.

the new blf platform (discourse) fulfills these same functions through five discrete methods.

(1) “normal” - no action required. when you revisit a topic you’ve previously viewed, discourse automatically returns to where you left off reading.

(2) “tracking” - when you select this option on the “bell” (notification) widget, discourse automatically returns to where you left off reading the topic, and adds the topic to the “unread” tab when a new post is published.

(3) “watching” - when you select this option on the “bell” (notification) widget, discourse automatically returns to where you left off reading the topic, adds the topic to the “unread” tab when a new post is published, and sends you an email when a new post is published.

(4) “bookmark” - click on this widget to add a topic (or an individual post, or a private message) to your collection of useful/interesting forum content.

(5) “activity” - no action required. when you create or reply to a topic, discourse automatically collects this in one place.

you can find the “bell” (notification) and bookmark widgets at the bottom of each topic.

once you have used these methods, you can view the results here:

you may find, as i did, that with new tools like tracking, bookmarks and activity, you need fewer email notifications (via watching) than you did before on the old platform. but notifications are still great for time sensitive topics like sales threads and news on your new favorite torch.

(links courtesy of @quahog and @sb56637 )

7 Thanks

It does take a while to get used to Discourse, but once I got used to it, I think I like it more than Drupal, though both forums have their pros and cons.
For example, my internet connection is not that great, and Discourse threads seem to load quite a bit faster than Drupal threads. :+1:

Thanks thefreeman,
How do I get large field of view on my screen? I want to have certain thread over the whole screen. Narrow field of view makes me sick :nauseated_face:

P.S.
How did you quote my post? There is no quote button?

SB mentioned that he might tweak this, but is busy with backend stuff first, wait a bit.

Select text, a quote button appears, this allows easy multi quoting, like I just did. There is also a quote button in the toolbar above the typing box.

1 Thank

It’s possible with the Stylus extension.
What you need to put into Stylus is something like this:

:root {
--d-max-width: 1110px;
}

Change “1110” to whatever width you want.
1110 is just the default width.

3 Thanks

Thanks @raccoon , I just applied that to the default BLF theme tweaks. Can everyone please check to make sure nothing looks weird or out of place with that?

2 Thanks

It’s wider on my screen, and everything looks normal to me.
There’s still a bunch of empty space on the far right, but I don’t know if that is fixable for people that don’t want any empty space.
I kinda like the 1110 pixel width more, so I used Stylus to change it back. :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT:
That “stuck out tongue” emoji kinda looks lame, but that’s not a real problem.
With Stylus, you can please all of the people all of the time.™ :+1:

It is bit better and looks bit wider but not like on the old BLF. On my screen there is at least 1.5" place to the right for even larger fit. I think you could go with even larger spread.

1 Thank

Thanks. I tried select text and hidden quote appears. I have also tried “strip style cloud icon” in toolbox which quote all text.

I would still like to see larger field of view(old style) for thread viewing.

Currently the space that the post content uses is almost the same as the old design. Here’s a quick comparison, I just put another window on top of the browser and adjusted its size to the old post layout, and then kept the overlay window the same size on top of the current view:

3 Thanks

Yes. It is better than it was 1 hour ago :+1: but please try to add “bit” more. Older guys will appreciate that. The blank(unused) space that appears on my right side of the screen is 4cm or 1.57" large. Probably same in your screen? Now if that space could be at least 1" larger it would be better… Of course if you can do it and if it is reversible. Why it wouldn’t be even better(wider) than old style?