Not a budget light, but another monster has arrived - 2200 lumens ANSI

Im strongly considering a TK70 since I sold my 3 x XML custom Lambda mag. It drove each emitter to 3.1A. Has anyone tested the amperage delivered to an LED on the TK70? (not tailcap reading) I sold the mag because it was only good as a massive flood light, being limited by the small head and 3 tiny reflectors.

That TK70 has some major "cans" so one would think that this would add considerably to the range when compared to the mag.

IMO, heat sinking is moderate from what I can see in the TK70 pics and the emitters could be sweated off as newer (brighter) bins become available.

Lambda engineers and builds some of the best custom mags available but doesnt hang out on CPF for the same obvious reasons many others dont. He's also probably tested about every NiMH D cell available and recommends the standard blue 10,000 mAh tenergy cells. After being impressed with the 3 x XML mag he built for me, he's currently assembling a 3 x SST90 that draws 21 amps from 4 D tenergys.

Unfortunatley, there is not an LSD version of any cell that stood up well to the 3 x XML @ 11 amps much less what the tripple 90 draws @21A. I have first dibs on the next tripple90 and I'll review it if I get it... 6000 lumens. Yikes! Im torn between the tripple90 and the TK70. Oh what to buy... and no Im not going to buy both! LOL!

Emitters will be soldered directly to the MASSIVE sold copper heat sink.

If lico's in series were really that dangerous, CPF's forum on such matters wouldn't be debating the same incidents of obvious error (completely mismatched cells, questionable construction on a crazy light, etc) from years ago despite the number of Surefires in circulation there. Taking a reading to make sure they're reasonably similar out of the package is already more precaution than most anyone there takes.

Bro, wow....lots of info that i'd like to participate with you more in this thread, unfortunately it would be way detailed and derail the thread. I hope you and I stay for long here, because your interests and mine are somewhat similar! :D

Yes, as you have linked that image by serj_32 out, the Fonarik russian website is a must read too for potential buyers, they do have some interesting info.

More info, the all important beamshots! (well the only beamshot i got is TK70 vs 235k flashlight format HID)

http://fonarik.com/test/?model=219&scene=1&mode=0

But Flashpilot, i'd have to warn you, the TK70 is bright and is really of ~ 2200 to 2300 OTF as depicted on my meter even with my Tenergy LSDs, the throw is good but still far from HIDs. I got 87k but mine is the DX meter. The Fonarik guy got 90k, ergotelis got the best at 100k (if i am not wrong measured at 4m).

Nobody has tested the current. But the OTF indicates pretty much in the ballpark of 3A with an above average efficient driver.

You said the heatsinking to be moderate. For me, the heatsinking is excellent in terms of commercially viable designs, of course it is not crazy customs. MCPCBs with 3 screws, and that backplate is quite solid, big head for good heat mass heatsinking before saturation which is good for countries like mine (hot!). Real world experience on the lux meter indicates a dip of about 1% only from 0.5 seconds till about 2 minutes before it slowly slides further due to increasing heat saturation, you won't even feel that 1%.

Since you are of VSS-3 experience, you'd like to know that a 4" reflectored Lightpipe with 70W automotive ballast blasted the Lambda Varapower VP2000 out of the water (as what i'd seen from beamshots). I had the 250W with 7" reflector and 5mm gap on order, but USPS did not want to do take the package (coz it was over the 3 x Li-ion battery limit, they don't care whether it is PACK or CELL), got my refund back via PP. I estimated that to be ~ 5 million PBCP. 10x less fun than your tank light, but still fun I guess. :D

Just thought you'd like to know, since you mentioned you had the Lambda Hydra XM-L triple.

Flashpilot, i just reviewed the results again by oatmanutd.

4.20V > fully charge
4.01V > after 10 minutes
3.88V > after 20 minutes
3.76V > after 30 minutes
3.66V > after 40 minutes
3.61V > after 50 minutes
3.50V > after 60 minutes
3.40V > drop to high after 66 minutes

Seems like it is per cell and no 2 cells series. 4.2V start. So it could be safe.

The extreme caution isnt in simply running lico's in series, its the new massive size of the humongous KD cells that carry with it the potential for a massive explosion and devistation should one fail. Im also of the notion that most people on forums where the hobby is relatively inexpensive arent as safety conscious as they probably should be, instead focusing on getting caught up in the excitement of a new product and procurement, no matter what the risks. Its human nature to forget the bad and focus on the good.

Yeah, the thing about lithiums is that the failure mode is often catastrophic, even if it's not very common.

I give the same advice here whenever asks about multi-cell: check the start/end voltage or don't bother. Just about every instance of failure I've seen could've been prevent by making sure nothing was obviously wrong. Sticking 3 different cells into a high power incan like the famous german guy is almost a darwin award.

Of course most of this could be fixed by getting single cell regulation that actually worked. Only multi-big-emitter setups really need multi-cell, and those tend to be at the enthusiast level where people really shouldn't be doing anything stupid. If it gets to be more common such that everyone is buying them, manufacturers should be coming up w/ monitored packs not unlike laptops. It would make a lot of sense if they standardized on a form factor like you see in HID "flashlights".

In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't a dangerous hobby. People race w/o roll cages or fuel cells all the time, where you're one missed apex away from being upside down w/ cracked spine in a burning car.

2100, there actually isnt that much to read when you pass up all the hype and bull on CPF. Since your mind seems to be made up, PLEASE do be very careful with those large LICO's and make sure they're a balanced pair before using them. I concur on the ending cell voltages from oatman but you might want to ask just to be sure. Im sure you'll do your own tests during the first run, wont you?

Thanks for the fonarik link. I used to spend a great deal of time on that site and always found the contributions to be exciting, cutting-edged and mostly accurate. After your mention of the newer cheap HID ballasts and lamps being able to survive multiple restrikes in fairly quick succession, Im starting to think that I need to revisit that subject. Thanks for planting the seeds!

The 3 x SST-90 Hydra that Lambda is building is certainly a beast at 6000 lumens and would blow away my 3x XM-L Hydra. The problem is that it can only be used at full power for about 1-2 minutes before the power needs to be reduced to allow it to cool down. At close to 100W through the mag head, there simply isnt enough surface area to transfer all the heat to ambient air once the heat sink warms up. Reflectors are also extremely limited in size and depth. I just might pass and look for something else.

Customs and company policies seem to throw cold water on a lot of our technical hobbies, especially outside of the US. Id sure love to have seen beamshots of that 250W ISS signaling device you had on order. The people in the towers close to you wouldnt have been so pleased during your beam shot shoots! Got a sales link to that monster? If you ever get caught up in that kind of shipping BS again with high value items, PM me and maybe I can help with shipping and repackaging from the US.

After owning the XML Hydra and finding myself wanting a lot more throw, do you think I would be pleased with the TK70? Im starting to have my doubts but you would probably know better than I. Out of curiosity, about how large is each individual TK70 reflector? Would you say they are about the same size as a P60 but twice as deep... or something else?

Yeah, we have a lot in common... total gadget freaks. To bad we are separated by so many time zones. Youd love shinning your HID's out the windows of the several low flying aircraft I pilot.

Flashpilot, there really is nothing wrong in being too cautious, after all safety first, and I have posted in the CPF TK70 thread to serve a warning.

I test ran about 20 times doing before, during, after discharge voltages for all my cells namely the Panny NCR18650, and the few Solarforce v2 2400 and recently the XTAR 2600s for the Sky Ray SR3800. You'd be surprised that the Solarforce charged as well as discharged within 0.01V, in fact sometimes i put them together against each other (+ve to +ve nipple together and measure -ve bases) and measure in millivolt range and they are like 0.003V different. (!!!) There are times in which I do multiple 3 min runs so that things don't get especially hot for any cell and I get 0.000V difference, unmmeasurable. Excellent cells i'd say. The hobby charger discharge figures serve as a nice verification....since you are doing "relative things" in which it is repeatable and errors are constant, it is really good.

Definitely i'd do a discharge and perhaps take readings every 5 minutes, as a first trial run. I did that for the Trustfire Flames, they ended up 0.03V different so its a bit "off" but still not too much. I did the same for my BIO IMR 18350 and 18500, so no worries.

Back on the TK70, each reflector is in the C8 class, or just under 40mm. It makes sense bro, 3A drive levels, 40mm class deep reflector gets you near 30k. Size is more important than depth definitely. Eg 28 x 3 = 84. I am not sure why people would want to see 120k or something, that means 40k. Is that possible in the first place? You'd need Fandyfire STL-V6 class. Or a triple reflector 58mm class XR-E ala Solarforce MPP-1 would be nice, 50k x 3 = 150k and you don't need much power.

If that does not make any sense, the UF-980L that I have here gets me about 21k, so 3 x 21k = 63k. Again, my meter somewhat under-reads.

it is definitely not a 700meter shot. I have Aspherical Mag which can go as far as 450meters with Q5 and that 450meters look farther than the trees in the fenix shot.

But it is a bright light nonetheless shame about the price though.

@flashpilot: didnt know anything about Lamba Mag mod. Wow what a build. Any link for more info?

It seems that the lens is a sort of plastic made?

Damn, no UCL lens in this size available.

BTW, has someone tried to unscrew the bezel ring?

Mine is very tighten, or maybe glued???

Overall, this is a amazing bright flashlight

I use AccuEvolution 10000 mAh LSD batteries, charging with the Titanium MD 3000 fast charger.