Olight recall

The new gas cans are a joke and expensive to boot. Give me an old jerrycan with a regular spout any day.

When flashlights are outlawed, only outlaws will have flashlights.

regarding gas can spouts…various stores have cheap alternatives….

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Spout-Replacement-Water-Update/dp/B08T3VZPYZ/ref=asc_df_B08T3VZPYZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475741847238&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=583268705697541539&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021047&hvtargid=pla-1163418845970&psc=1

back to the OLight recall and Gov. rules….
this might be the time to “stock up”.

like i need another excuse.

Aren’t those the Olights with a questionable tailcap design?

They have contacts for the charger built into the outside of the tail. The idea being you can take the light and just tailstand it in a charger.

But the downside is if you have the light in your pocket with your keys, anything conductive bridging across the back of the tailcap causes a short.

Its all about raised side switch design. Looks like they learned a lesson and Warrior 3 have flat side button

not exactly… the contacts on the tail are recessed

the issue is that the M2R uses a tailswitch that goes to Max Output, and gets activated too easily. Since there is no proximity sensor, once the light turns on in holster or pocket, at maximum, it just burns whatever is in front of it

here is the tailswitch in operation:

so the real issue, is that the tailswitch turns the light on in pocket or holster, at maximum output. Its not a short circuit from keys in pocket…

I’m trying to understand this more. Some say side switch. Some say tail switch to sensitive. Some say tail switch occasionally shorting out and causing the light to come on due to metal items in pocket. Apparently all three can cause this light to come on while in a pocket or the pouch that it came with. Any light can inadvertently have the switch get pressed whether it’s a side switch or a tail switch while in a pocket. Not all lights go directly to turbo when this happens. You don’t need turbo on a lot of lights to burn yourself or clothing. This light (m2r pro) did have so-called firmware problems that olight acknowledged back on December 12 2019. But they said they fortunately found a solution. The manual for the light in the WARNING section states, If the product is left unused or carried and transported, please lock the button to avoid accidentally activating the flashlight. It comes with a holster. This is probably not the type of light that should be put in a pocket. Unless of course you’re going to follow the instructions. I can hear people crying already, “I need a tactical light”. Also this light was designed to be able to use their locking remote switch. Does that complicate the switch design and or problems? I don’t know. Every light that I’ve carried for extended time periods in a belt mounted pouch or in a pocket has “inadvertently” or “accidentally” activated. I do not use a lockout function but I do always intentionally shut them off in a fairly low setting. Could they still get double clicked and cause problems? Yes but the chances of that are pretty slim. I would think long and hard about putting a light in my pocket that’s going to go to a very high or turbo setting with one click of any type of button or switch. Edit. I read a long thread in cpf about the m2r pro burning holes in somebody’s pocket. It didn’t really shed a lot of light on the subject.

that’s the original m2r. The m2r PRO uses a different switch. The operation MAY be the same but the switch is different.

It’s the shorting of the tail switch. The side switch can accidentally be activated, but it turns on in memory mode. The likelihood of the side switch activating turbo accidentally is low. The tail switch does have direct access to turbo, but, similarly, the likelihood of it being fully depressed accidentally is unlikely.

It’s a known defect on the two recalled lights that the tail switch can be shorted out by a piece of metal bridging the gap between the switch and the outer ring. The lights charge through the tail switch and the ring, and any metal connecting them can switch the lights on directly to turbo. A key or a pocket knife can easily cause this to happen.

I own a Warrior Mini that I bought when Olight had them on deep discount (they were aware of the problem). They gave two free rubber boots (they really are gitd diffusers) that fit neatly over the tail switch included with all purchases of the light as well, stating that to prevent the short accidentally turning on the light in turbo, the rubber boot should be used. To me, it makes it look like the flashlight is wearing a diaper, so I don’t use it. But that also means that, regardless of how much I like the light and the UI, I only carry it when I don’t have anything else in the pocket in which I clip it.

I’ve read this elsewhere including a guy who claimed that they were going to make a little rubber boot for the m2r pro also. However it doesn’t seem like most of them (m2r pro)can be triggered on a regular basis just by shorting the switch. Have you attempted to simulate the problem on your mini? Is it just a quick short, a long short, one out of 100, only above a certain voltage?

It can be done with a short contact, though it’s probably closer to 1 in 25. It’s fairly easy to get it to happen, though it does seem less likely as voltage drops. Using a key and rubbing/touching it along the switch can cause the light to turn on in turbo any time between instantly and a couple of minutes. Given that it’s a magnetic tail, that’s not that long of a time.

I had fallen asleep with the light in my pocket once (not clipped on) and it slipped out. As my dog, who was curled up with me, got up to shake and circle a few times before lying back down, the magnet grabbed on to her collar. The light turned on. When she shook herself out, the light came off of her collar, and luckily the noise of her jingling woke me up to find the light on full blast.

I have 3 M2R Pro’s and “shorting” of the rear switch (if I understand above discussion correctly, shorting to what, the surrounding metal?) does NOT turn light on. At least on mines there is but 1 simple reason this light would turn on accidentally - the one click nature:
1. Activation of rear switch: one click to Turbo
2. Activation of side switch: one click to medium brightness

Not returning mine. Olight M2R Pro is a very rare thrower that has a warm CCT tone and hence shows better depth and colors. I bought it even knowing Warrior 3 had been released. BTW what really caught my attention is the tremendous number: 200,000 units x $50-$100 = $10-20 millions !? Wow I didn’t expect at all it’s such a huge number.

Thats if everybody wants a refund. If people want a replacement, it will probably cost Olight 5 bucks each. And probably a fraction of the people who bought it, will even hear about the recall, and most of those who do, probably know how to use the lockout, and/or won’t bother spending the shipping cost to send it back for replacement. I’d be surprised if Olight replaces or refunds 1/10th of that number.

I was referring to the scale of Olight’s business, the revenue. 1-2 millions would have surprised me, let alone 20.
And yeah, I for sure am not returning mines. The Pro Warrior M2R is one of the very few throwers with a warm CCT; why I bought it even after knowing Warrior 3 had been released.

The "official" information released by both CPSC and Olight only states that the lights can be "turned on inadvertently and overheat".

I am not familiar with and do not have either of the Olights being recalled and are surprised that Olight did not release more detailed information concerning this problem since there has be so much varied speculation, but hopefully someone who owns either of these Olights will eventually be curious enough to contact Olight and post exactly what the issue is.

I own 3 M2R Pro’s (why 3 - as mentioned above it’s the rare thrower that has warm CCT). IMHO and at least with my Olights there is 1 simple reason it would turn on accidentally – the one-click turn-on nature:

1. Activation of rear switch: one click to Turbo
  2. Activation of side switch: one click to medium brightness

How easy to activate? M2R’s side switch is harder to turn on than several other flashlights I own (Sofirn, Emisar, etc.). WRT Olight’s rear switch, curiously I hate it because it’s recessed and hard to turn on. But accidental turn-on sure could happen with either switch (and many other great hobby lights), because of the one-click to turn on nature. The question then is why only Olight gets recalled? Take one look at the number of units sold, an astounding 200,000 (!).

My Nitecore MH12S (rear switch’s “travel” is longer, and its side switch changes modes only & does not turn on) should reduce accidental turn-on, but then it has a harsh high CCT blue light typical of throwers and I don’t like it that the side switch can’t turn light on. So more or less the reason Olight gets recalled is the same reason why I love it :slight_smile: :person_facepalming: : one click to on with either switch, quick and simple. For me it’s really no dilemma, I’m keeping all 3.

A direct short won’t trigger the switch, but a specific resistance does. It was required for the magnetic remote switch.

Very good & interesting info - thank you. Was this shown empirically? Certain keys or metal objects having the prerequisite resistance to turn light on?

Edit: Just went through my tool box and keys, nothing has turned the light on yet.

Great I have the patriotic edition. That was the sole reason I purchased the light. I wonder if they can replace it.

The recall is for two separate lights. The warrior mini and the m2r pro. The warrior mini was voluntarily recalled without the government intervening about a year ago. They encouraged people to keep the light and gave them two silicone covers and a free obulb and told them to use the light properly by using the lockout or they could get a refund. There are YouTube videos showing that one turning on with various metal including a ball chain, keychain type thing. If the issue is exactly the same on the m2r pro then I would think that even little metal shavings or metal dust down in there that you can’t see might turn it on at any time with the switch barely being touched. It’s a totally different issue but it does harken back to when the original h2r headlight came out and you could burn steel wool with it. You would think that olight would be very careful with these magnetic tail switch issues. People complain about having to loosen the armytek tail cap before charging but they don’t have problems such as this.