Private section?

Thanks for your input guys, no offense taken. :slight_smile:

I personally wouldn’t be opposed to an invite only section. Mainly for doing giveaways on nicer gear. I accept that it’s a part of the giveaway process, but it still stings a little to see someone win a nice giveaway, post “thanks, BLF rocks”, and then basically never post again. I don’t know if anyone else feels that way. Could be that I’m just being dumb.

I respect all the other opinions. Having an exclusive area would probably cause some problems eventually.

All factors weighed, I'd rather not see a private area. I like how inclusive this community is! There is always PM and E-mail for everything else.

Are there clearly overwhelming benefits or advantages for having a private section? The main subject matters here that are discussed are not even borderline controversial stuff like perhaps l@sers or gr@ss. Then you may have something really to worry about which an attorney can advise on. Are there plans to set up BST sub-sections for niche EDC equipment like firearms, switchblades, knuckledusters, stun-guns, cane-swords, Shuriken, etc? It’s supposed to be a family friendly forum that can even be shared with the better half and kids. I also think the main draw of BLF is its apparent transparency. So it would run contrary to its runaway success to introduce a private section. What you see is what you get. There is no black label edition for flashlight p@rn! :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the idea personally, but i does cause a double forum where what happens behind the lines is alluded to in the main forums but some users have no idea what that is. But it would be nice to have a forum that is not indexed in google so people can be more open without sharing everything with a world of strangers

BLF already has a private section but its invite only. If no one has invited you you would not know about it.

+1

A private sub-forum would be a game changer

The exchange of ideas could be in grave danger

This forum is an information exchanger

Because at one time we were all just a stranger

Esrevenge wrote:

BLF already has a private section but its invite only. If no one has invited you you would not know about it.

Shhhh! No one, except us privileged few, is supposed to know about that.

This post kind of opened my eyes a little bit.

I found this rather interesting: I went and checked the first 50 posts of a recent giveaway for people with low post counts and found 6 accounts who literally only enter in giveaways. A couple others had 75+% of their posts in giveaways.

Uh…………NO

:beer:

Hey, invite me! Can some admin here please give me access to the private BLF section? Please?

Haha… :bigsmile:

You’ll need a sponsor.

Well darn it! If there’s to be a Private Section, then I demand that there also be a Double Private Section. Only self-proclaimed elitists need apply for membership.

This is a bad idea.
It seems it would be more of a clause to single-out other members that have just found the forum (or moved over from CPF) regardless if thay have alot of interest or experience with lights and the related topics.
Most community forums are supposed to be open to “all” members new or old, this so-called “secret superior-members-section” would only splid BLF into almost a dual-party community, & likely drive members away and deter new ones to other forums.

i don’t agree, i’ve been a member of a forum that had a private area, its no big deal, often you get no posts in it for periods of time, but if you want to talk about embarrassing stuff you won’t get google trawled.

While I respect everyone’s opinion, I just don’t believe its a good idea. When you put sponsor money behind a member, that member seems to get special treatment. We all know what goes on at that other forum. So in my opinion, it could lead to a different atmosphere. Not saying that it would happen here, its just that the opportunity would be there.
From what I have seen SB makes all sponsors follow the rules or their history. He’s actually a little nicer than I would be.

I have my own little section .....

Sometimes I leave it when no one is looking .