Red Flashlights

I think noone has mentioned it before in this thread - Convoy uses buck drivers for red leds, so it’s pretty efficient. I have previous generation of these drivers (4 or 5 groups to choose from) instead of the newer 12 groups. They last a long time on lower mode (20% I think).

You just message Convoy and ask for the SST20 660nm. Simon customizes them to what you want

For an astronomy you’ll be fine with ordinary warm white led on “moon level”. Red light is good for hunting … horny animals only. :smiley:

Any idea with the Vin range is then?

Wurkkos HD15R . You can use it handheld, use it as a headlight, or clip it onto pockets or other clothing. Yes it has a white LED at the top, but you could easily tape that up to avoid any mistakes when that is an issue. The lowest mode is not memorized but you can turn it on that way every time with a press and hold. It would be a very wide beam, not a thrower. I do not have the R model but I have the 4000k HD15 and it is a good light. Plenty of reviews on YouTube.

that creates a lot of possibilities, for example I just ordered a Sofirn HS10 that I hope to chage the LED in. the light is on sale for $17 with battery and headstrap on Aliexpress, I buy bare 660nm LEDs from Kaidomain, and reflow onto the stock mcpcb.

some photos of the LED swap process in an SC21 Pro:

and photos of the LED swap process for a Thrunite Ti3 V2:

good luck w your quest :wink:

I just hate the mcpcb’s from Kaidomain with the holes for the screws so close to the pads.

This - just remember for astronomy you don’t want it to be too bright. Even if it’s red it can still ruin your night vision. There’s an old topic on CloudyNights about this

…keep in mind that for only a couple of dollars extra, the batteries are included :slight_smile:

Convoy L21B - CSLNM1.23

agree!

Red 660nm Is The Way.

Those SC21 Pro are on sale on Aliex…
modding sequence album: Sofirn SC21 Pro mod to 660nm Red - Album on Imgur

agree!

660nm Red Is The Way :wink:

660nm… XPE or SST20 - that is the question!

there is also an xp-g3 660nm

they all work just as well… grab whichever one is handy

more info:

That’s very cool. I don’t know when I’ll have the wherewithal to try mods like that, I’ve struggled with some health stuff, but I’d really like to. What do you have to alter in terms of the drive for the LED and the settings in the light? I have an SP10 pro with anduril 2 I quite like, and another light with that control system would be welcome, but I assumed there’d be some alterations required to drive the led properly.

very cool

No driver changes. The Anduril drivers work perfectly with the Red LEDs.

source: 1.89€ 71% OFF|2,5 EIN fahrer für rot licht (VF 2,0 2,5 V), eingangs spannung 3 4,2 V, für KR CSLNM 1,23 SST 20 DR|Taschenlampen| - AliExpress

I have the D4V2 in deep red and it`s awesome!
I also went hog wild and ordered the D4K with 2 deep red Leds` and 2 Deep blue Leds` :slight_smile:

currently, i am using a “blood tracker” headlamp
as my astronomy red light…similar to this:
(mine is discontinued)

https://www.amazon.com/EverBrite-Headlamp-Headlight-Adjustable-Batteries/dp/B07L3LMJCM/ref=asc_df_B07L3LMJCM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309849971681&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4705448370721511464&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009671&hvtargid=pla-655586470995&psc=1

I love my WK30s, but the WK40 is a great little option, too.

Switch it to “colored mode”, then you have a simple on/off, and need to 2click to cycle r/g/b/w.

The mag-ring is exclusively for brightness, and the tailswitch exclusively for on/off and modes.

Have you had any issues with the 660nm LED or is that LED able to cope with 4.2v?