Review NITECORE EDC27 - 2 Luminus SST40 LEDs - 3000 lumens

Nitecore EDC27 was sent to me directly by Nitecore for review.

For technical details and purchase:

Multilingual Manual: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHTS/download/edc27.pdf

Useful links:

https://www.nitecore.com/

https://www.nitecorestore.com/

https://www.instagram.com/nitecoreflashlight/

https://twitter.com/nitecorelight

https://www.instagram.com/nitecoreitalia/

DESCRIZIONE E DATI TECNICI:

Nitecore revolutionizes the concept of "EDC" with a product with a new design and interesting performance. Nitecore's EDC27 abandons the classic cigar design for a new thin "sandwich" structure with smooth sides and a body of only 14.2 mm (0.56"), about 44% thinner than compact torches, ideal for a firm grip and everyday carry.

The new tail buttons allow for two-stage operation for tactical applications while also bringing greater ease of use.

Always effective and useful is the beautiful OLED display, multifunctional in real time, placed in the upper part. The new Nitecore EDC27 is rechargeable (via an integrated USB-C fast port), compact and always light weighing 124g. EDC27 has 5 brightness levels available in addition to the Strobe and uses 2 Luminus SST40 LEDs for a maximum emission of 3000 lumens for 12200cd. It has a built-in 1700mAh Li-ion battery that offers a battery life of up to 37 hours. Nitecore EDC27 has a rigid stainless steel body, is IP54 certified and is equipped with 2 locking modes to avoid accidental activations.

Features:

• Utilizes 2 x Luminus SST40 LEDs with a max output of 3,000 lumens
  • Utilizes a total reflective optic lens for uniform and soft light
  • Max peak beam intensity of 12,200cd and max throw of 220 meters
  • Multifunctional OLED real-time display for brightness, battery voltage and runtime, etc.
  • Built-in 1,700mAh Li-ion battery
  • Advanced Power Cut-Off (APC) technology for an ultra-low standby power consumption
  • Highly efficient constant current circuit provides a stable output up to 37 hours
  • Dual tail switches enable intuitive operations for tactical applications
  • 5 brightness levels and 1 special mode available
  • STROBE READY™ Technology to enable a quick access to STROBE Mode (Patent No. ZL201320545349.4)
  • STROBE Mode uses randomly changing frequencies for stronger dizzying effects
  • Built-in Li-ion battery charging circuit with a USB-C port
  • Intelligent mode memory function
  • 2 lockout modes available (Half Lockout Mode and Full Lockout Mode)
  • Incorporated Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) module (Patent No. ZL201510534543.6)
  • High strength stainless steel body with PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) titanium coating
  • Waterproof and dustproof rating in accordance with IP54
  • Impact resistant to 1 meter

Specifications:

Length: 135.6mm (5.34") Width: 31.4mm (1.24") Height: 20.7mm (0.81") Weight: 124g (4.37 oz)

Warranty:

Any DOA / defective product can be replaced through a local distributor / dealer within 15 days of purchase. After that, malfunctioning NITECORE® products can be repaired free of charge within 24 months from the date of purchase. Beyond 24 months, a limited warranty applies, which covers the cost of labor and maintenance, but not the cost of accessories or replacement parts.

Note: Stated data is measured in accordance with international flashlight testing standards ANSI/PLATO FL 1-20191 using built-in Li-ion battery (1700mAh) under laboratory conditions.

Nitecore EDC27 arrives in a dark colored cardboard box with the classic writings that show the main characteristics that distinguish it.

Inside the package we find, in addition to the Nitecore EDC27 with the Clip inserted, the USB-C charging cable, the lanyard, manual and warranty.

Nitecore EDC27 is sold with the Clip already installed (but detachable), held by two removable screws. On the clip we find a large hole for the lanyard, compatible with a 550 paracord (4 mm / 0.16").

Above the Clip there is support designed to push down the flashlight easily and prevent accidental activation when you put it in your pocket. The Clip, over half the length of the new EDC, is very versatile allowing the EDC27 to be easily inserted into a pocket or backpack.

Nitecore EDC27 has excellent build quality, there are no strange edges or construction residues.

EDC27 has a newly developed thin, sandwich-like structure with smooth, rounded sides. Its central body of only 14.2mm/0.56" and the weight of 124g favor a firm grip and easy daily carrying (jeans, jacket, etc.).

The EDC27 uses a rigid body of high-strength stainless steel, in the front and rear, with a composite frame and a heat-conducting metal plate to have high resistance to torsion, impact and bending. The coating is PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) titanium and the matte satin finish is resistant to scratches and fingerprints.

On the back we find the writing with the plate data of the internal battery.

A detail of the design are, on the left side near the bottom of the display, three grooves where we will place the index finger.

Laterally on the EDC27 we find a polymer material reinforced with carbon fiber and a hard texture (prismatic) non-slip in four points.

Nitecore EDC27 has a hybrid heat dissipation system combined with the copper material and aluminum outer plate, as well as the integrated ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation) module.

EDC27 uses a TIR optical system with 2 Luminus SST40 LEDs for a uniform and soft light. The EDC27 has a maximum output of 3000 lumens for a maximum beam depth of 220 meters.

EDC27 has a multifunctional, well-readable OLED display, which displays some useful information for a few seconds, such as the level in use and the current volts of the internal battery.

With the display off, lightly press the “ON/OFF” key to reactivate it.

As soon as the Nitecore EDC27 is turned on, the current level and the lumens, the word "NITECORE" and the level with the estimated autonomy are shown on the display.

This information is also displayed for the other available levels. Let's see the 4 levels available, leaving out the Turbo and Strobe levels that can be activated with the mode button.

In the upper part of the Nitecore EDC27, above the OLED display, there are the two electronic switches with which we will manage the Nitecore EDC27. The two buttons on the tail have different heights for easy identification in the dark (by touch).

Nitecore with these two new tactical switches wanted to improve the now more intuitive and efficient user interface.

As can be seen from the symbols above, the raised button is the Power Button which has the ON/OFF function and, pressing halfway, allows you to vary the 4 regular levels (Ultralow, Low, Mid and High) available.

The larger MODE Button is a dual stage switch. In whatever level we are, by pressing the MODE Button halfway, we will instantly activate the 3000 lumens TURBO mode, while by pressing the MODE Button completely we will immediately activate the Strobe.

With the "Power Button" we can insert the electronic block, both partial and total, to avoid unpleasant ignitions during transport.

Nitecore EDC27 uses a USB-C format port for integrated charging. The internal lithium-ion battery has a capacity of 1,700mAh in a compact size to provide a maximum autonomy of 37 hours. Included is a USB-C cable for connecting to an external power source (e.g. a USB adapter, computer or other USB charging device) to start the charging process.

The charging time, measured in my tests, is about 1h20min. (1.9A max.) with fast charging (via 5V/2A adapter).

During the charging process, the screen shows the battery charge status. When the battery is fully charged, the screen displays a full process bar and the value of 4.20V.

Nitecore EDC27 can be turned on and run while charging or stay on all the time using a USB device such as a power bank.

Nitecore EDC27 and the Nitecore T4K.

USER INTERFACE (UI):

Nitecore EDC27 has 4 brightness levels available in addition to TURBO and STROBO for direct access.

High: 1000lm, 1h45min
Mid: 200lm, 3h45min
Low: 65lm, 11h
Ultralow: 15lm, 37h
Turbo: 3000lm
Strobe: 3000lm

Turning on and off
When the flashlight is off, press the power button all the way down to turn it on or if it is on, press the power button all the way down to turn it off.

Selecting Brightness Levels
When the light and screen are on, half press the power button to cycle through "ULTRALOW - LOW - MID - HIGH". When reactivated, the flashlight goes directly to the previously memorized brightness level.
Note: When the screen is off, half-press the power button to activate the screen and then proceed to adjust the brightness levels.

Direct access to ULTRALOW
When the flashlight is off, press and hold the power button halfway to go directly to ULTRALOW. Release to turn it off.

Direct access to TURBO/ STROBE READY™ mode
- When the light is on/off, half press and hold the MODE (STROBE READY™) button to enter TURBO mode (3,000 lumens). Release to return to the previous state or to turn off the flashlight.
- When the light is on/off, fully press and hold the MODE (STROBE READY™) button to enter STROBE mode. Release to return to the previous state or to turn off the flashlight.

Lock and Unlock
The EDC27 has two lockout modes (Half Lockout Mode and Full Lockout Mode).

- Half Lockout Mode (Lockout 1):
• When the flashlight is on, press and hold the power button until the Lock 1 icon appears on the screen to enter Half Lockout mode.
• In Half Lockout mode, the power button will not turn on the flashlight. By holding down the MODE (STROBE READY™) button halfway, it is instead possible to access the TURBO mode, while by holding
fully press the MODE (STROBE READY™) button to access the STROBE mode.

- Full Lockout mode (Lockout 2) (default option):
• When the flashlight is on, press and hold the power button even after entering Half Lockout mode until the lock icon 2 appears on the screen to enter Full Lockout.
• In Full Lockout mode both buttons will not activate the flashlight.

- Unlock:
In whichever lock mode you are in, briefly press, release and then press again by holding down the power button for a long time. During the operation the screen will show an unlock icon (key) and a progress bar to then proceed to activate the flashlight thus exiting the lock mode. The flashlight will access the previous level memorized when it is turned off.

ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation)
Integrated ATR technology adjusts the EDC27's output based on working conditions and surrounding environment to maintain optimum performance

BEAM and RUNTIME:

With the wall test, the beam of the Nitecore EDC27 has a not too cold white tint tending towards greenish and no particular artifacts.

The optics do a good job illuminating outdoors with the alluvial beam and the levels are well spaced. By activating the 3000 lumens TURBO, lasting 10 seconds, the Wow effect is not lacking. I didn't notice PWM in the various brightness levels. The distance from the start of the spill to the feet is minimal.

The CCT (color temperature) and Ra (color rendering) values taken with OPPO's Light Master Pro, two meters away from the sensor, vary according to the selected light level.

ULTRALOW 15 lumens, CCT= 5211 Ra= 66.8
LOW 65 lumens, CCT= 5399 Ra= 65.4
MID 200 lumens, CCT= 5480 Ra= 65.1
HIGH 1000 lumens, CCT= 5658 - Ra= 66.5
TURBO 3000 lumens, CCT= 5826 - Ra= 68

Il Duv calcolato con il livello più luminoso è di 0,0083.

The peak values in candela (cd) taken with the Luxmeter at 5 meters are similar to those declared by the parent company.

ULTRALOW = 54cd
LOW = 288cd
MID = 820cd
HIGH = 4258cd
TURBO = 12500cd

With a FLIR thermal imaging camera I detected how the heat is distributed on the flashlight in HIGH mode at 1000 lumens after 1min30sec, 5min and 10 from switching on. No heat problems holding the Nitecore edc27 in hand.

The Runtime were done in a closed environment with a temperature of about 18°C using the fully charged internal 1700mAh battery.

I would like to clarify that the values expressed by the graphs must be taken, above all, as a reference because they are made with means and environmental conditions different from those used in the laboratory.

Note: Nitecore EDC27, with the ATR module, adjusts its output power by adapting to the surrounding environment, maintaining optimal performance.

The tests were done in HIGH mode (1000lm) and in MID mode (200lm).
In HIGH mode, at 1000 lumens, after a slow descent there is a sudden drop after about 80 minutes.
Starting in MID at 200 lumens the curve is constant up to over 3h40min. EDC27 shut down after more than 4 hours.

The 3000 lumens Turbo mode can be operated numerous times. Of course, if you do it closely, the activation time will be short. I managed to operate it for about ten seconds with the Nitecore EDC27 display showing 3.90V.

VIDEO Review

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0old7LJhmHs

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS:

I really liked Nitecore EDC27, a versatile product with a new design that improves portability. EDC27 has been studied in every detail, nothing has been left to chance. I appreciated the dual-stage switch specially designed to be able to instantly activate the Turbo or Strobe and the fast recharge of the 1700mAh internal battery with a maximum autonomy of 37 hours. Nitecore EDC27 is sturdy, built very well and with the right size to hold in your hand.
I recommend Nitecore EDC27 for those who need a torch to carry with them every day, easy to use and quick to recharge with excellent performance.
Thanks for reading the review.

------ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL ------------------------------------------------
1 Thank

Mixed feelings. I applaud the design and thinking out of the box.
Looks like something that you would see in a Star Wars episode.
I don’t see this being in my future however like I said, I admire the creativity even though I am sure the inspiration was the Surefire Stiletto

As much as i like “flat” lights this one is far from perfect.

Built-in non-replaceable incredibly low capacity battery (that is ~1/2 of 18650 in fairly large light), floody low-CRI green-tinted light, incredibly low water protection rating (no surprise given horrible usb cover)…

Definitely not going to buy this one, the only nice thing here is - may be this will give an idea to other manufacturers and someone will make something actually nice…

…eerr… flying low intentionally…??

Inspired by Olight Arkfeld.

Just like when Rovyvon created the Aurora, all the other company released their own version. Be ready to get flooded by thin lights like this from all the other manufacturers.

Yes some interesting thinking here, but the execution is a hard fail for me.
The low capacity built in battery is not good.
The switch and display position do not make sense.
The cost has to be impacted by the switching arrangement and the display, meaning the thing I want, performance, is negatively impacted.
Though, I can see where the sort of Star Wars gimmicky device may appeal to some .
Good Luck Nitecore.
BTW, I like the few Nitecore lights that I have (other than the less than optimal CCT/tints offered)… just not this one.

Awesome review…