Review: NITECORE P25 Smilodon (XM-L U2, 1x 18650 / 2x (R)CR123

No need to worry. 1.2amps is just the maximum output of your phone chargers… If the P25 e.g only needs 500mAh, it only consumes 500mAh.

Everything explained here in detail:

Thanks for the help guys.

I got a reply from Nitecore:

Didn’t know it was possible for cables to be limited to a certain output _

and it is not…

That’s what I understood from their email.

Totaly nonsense…

So that guy didn’t know what he’s talking about?

I’ll mostly charge from my Xtar anyway, my phone charger will have to do in the rare case I want to charge directly.

That’s what they wrote but they don’t have a clue. What if you forget your genuine usb cable at home and someone offers you their charger for samsung galaxy S4 (the plug is identical) which is about 1A or what if someone has a tablet charger which provides 2A!!!
Circuiteri inside the light (P25) is limiting the charging current, you can use any USB cable you find at your disposal that has suitable plug (micro usb)…

That was my initial thought as well, but I wanted to be sure, as I don’t want any fires in my house >.>

The Galaxy S4 has a 2amp charger btw (i have one).

Anyway thanks for clearing this up.

You can use charger from S4 without worries :slight_smile:

All cables have a maximum amp rating.

It just means that if the rating is exceeded, the cable may overheat and fail.
It doesn't actually limit the current.
That's why they said to use a 0.5A charger with it.

The internal P25 circuitry should be the limiting factor, as said above.

Voltage is pushed, Amps are pulled. Your P25 will only draw as much current as it requires, and since that charger can provide more than the P25 needs, I don't see a problem.

Hey everyone need some advice:
I ordered a pair of panasonic protected ncr18650B batteries from intelioutdoor (something like that anyway). They actually came with a nice wide button top. Before they arrived I ordered the P25, it arrived then about a month or so later my batteries came in. Unfortunately these batteries are totally not compatible with the P25.

For the moment I’m still using trustfire flames lol, but I want to get a pair of panasonic ncr18650b batteries with protection that can function in this light. They need a smaller button on the top. I want my ncr18650b to have a good pcb (good current, consistent/reliable, etc). This light will usually be mounted on a somewhat lower recoil rifle, so I do kind of like the dual sprint setup and the plate on the anode side seems as though it would not let the spring sort of ‘fold to the side’ under sharp recoils. So the light looks to be nice, I really like the USB capability, but I want to use the best battery and a good example of it.

Dose anyone know what my best option for a battery is and where to get it these days?

oh also on a side note, I had am M25 and the variable strobe is quite obvious, it really varies both for on duration and off duration, quite disorienting; the P25 states this feature but I simply cannot see this to be the case, it’s a very nice feature did I get a rare unit with a bad program, or is this normal for all the P25s?

Thanks for the feedback everyone :slight_smile:

Edited Note:
btw the keeppower looks like it ‘might’ work, it’s button just barely protrudes, but I just dunno if it’ll make it : )

My NCR18650Bs are protected and almost 8mm across on the button top. They work absolutely fine in my P25.

If yours are too wide, try stick a small button magnet on them like this.

intl-outdoor is short for international outdoor store.

I have not heard of this M25 light you speak of. Are you talking about the Ultrafire M25?

I don't recall the P25 having 'variable' strobe. All I know is that it has strobe, beacon and SOS.

upon further review I think I heard about the variable strobe on the P25 by reading a review about it, not stated by nitecore :slight_smile:

Btw the lights I’m refering to (P25 and M25), are both made by Nitecore. The M25 is listed on their website.

I appreciate the advice about putting a magnet on top. A magnet would fit perfect, the ‘button’ on my protected batts is about 3/4 of the width of the battery and is flat, though it dose extend the length of the battery a bit being a protection circuit and contact plate.
I considered this myself actually but upon further reflection I decided not to do so. I don’t want to spend a butt load of cash on a rifle, then another butt load (well ok 100 bucks, actually pretty cheap if you consider the reliability), on the light and then add a freely moving magnet to the system. This light will experience recoil and may possibly be used in a self defense scenario or maybe one day I’ll do one of those shooting competitions (probably not though), the recoil may cause that battery to move, then I’m left with a either a cylinder bomb (not really that likely I’d think), or no light (quite likely). I’ll be buying more batteries as a single pair of 2 more batteries is acceptable to me to get things ‘just right’.

Now, about your ncr18650b batteries, what are they (protected means the ‘core’ is panasonic but what’s the wrapper say, as that’s who added the protect circuit and packaging). Where did ya get them (if ya still have a link that would be great).

Just to make sure I understand you, your P25 is a Nitecore brand P25 right?
I don’t want to put even genuine Ultrafire (I understand that genuine ultrafire is actually pretty decent), on a self defense tool. I love me some cheapie chineese lights with their big output and low cost, but for stuff like that I want to be virtually certain it will work every time.

I have the 3400mah version but the physical appearance is the same pictured here

I have charged my P25 with my phone charger, from the computer, fron a Cig-Socket USB charger, my Ipad charger, etc. never had any problems at all. I have charged several differnet cells in it, fron samsung un-protected lap-top pulls to cheap Ultrafire reds, to panasonic cells. the guy with the 0.5 amp cable claim is full of you-know-what.

I have charged mine off of 2 amp usb power supplies, and I have charged it off of my 400ma craptop computer and have charged it off of my 600-700 ma laptop as well. (the rating for the USB ports were from other reviews of the laptops, both are old but the 400 ma rated one is much older). I have charged it off of a cheap (1 dollar and some change), 12 car charger with USB output. The nitecore M25 and P25 (this covers all the classes of USB lights they have I think), charge just fine off of anything. They would probably (I assume here), charge off of a 150ma cottonpicker solar charger… although quite slowly :slight_smile:

There are 2 solutions: you could take a large drill bit and shave a bit that plastic or you could buy something like this:

Or you can always put a blob of solder on the positive pole of the battery.