Review: Olight S Mini Baton SuS Thunder Grey Limited Edition (XM-L2, 1x RCR123A/16340) Estimated Output, Runtimes, & Beamshots.

Olight S Mini Baton SUS Thunder Grey Limited Edition

Summary:

Battery: 1x CR123A / 1x RCR123A
Switch: Electronic Side Switch
Modes:

Moon, Low, Medium, Turbo.
+ Strobe

Mode Memory: Last mode memorized to a single press from off
LED Type: XM-L2 (Cool White)
Reflector: TIR Optic
Price: $57.45 (Amazon Prime)
$56.95 (Olight Store)
Provided by: Olight
Official Olight Store

Function / User Interface:

The Olight S Mini Baton SUS utilizes an electronic side switch to give direct access to moon, turbo, strobe, and the last used mode. There is also a programmable auto turn-off and electronic lockout.

From off:

A single press turns the flashlight on in the last used mode (Strobe is not memorized).

A long press turns the flashlight on in moonlight mode.

A double press activates Turbo.

A triple press activates strobe.

To enter lockout mode, Press and hold the switch for 2 seconds. Moonlight will first come on within the first second, continue holding for another second and the light will turn off. The light will not function until lockout mode is exited by either unscrewing the tailcap or pressing and holding the switch for about a second which will turn the flashlight on in moonlight mode. While in lockout mode pressing the switch will cause a moon mode flash to occur.

While on:

Press and hold to cycle through modes Low, Medium, Turbo.

A single press will turn the flashlight off.

A double press will activate Turbo.

A triple press activates strobe. A single press to turn off the flashlight. or press and hold to exit into the last used mode.

The last mode used will be memorized when the light is turned off. Strobe will not be memorized. Turbo will be memorized for 10 minutes. After those 10 minutes the memory will reset to medium mode.

Auto-off timer:

While the light is on, A double press and hold will select between the 3 minute (Indicated by a single flash) and 9 minute timer (Indicated by 2 flashes). The flashlight will automatically turn off after the selected amount of time.

The Olight S Mini behaves similarly to the H1 Nova and S1R in regards to the fast ramping when entering or exiting Turbo mode.

Activating turbo from off will cause a subtle, yet noticeable fast ramp up to the desired brightness. This is a lot less harsh on the eyes than instantly blasting out 700 lumens in pitch dark.

The feature is also present and more noticeable when turning off the S Mini from Turbo. The light rapidly ramps down until off. It takes about 750 milliseconds to go from Turbo to off.

Parasitic drain through the electronic side switch is negligible at 21.3µA.

Data & Measurements:

On the included CR123A non-rechargeable cell I measure a little bit lower than the specifications. On an Olight RCR123A cell I measure a fair bit higher than specifications.

All throw measurements are lux values taken at 7ft and calculated back to 1 meter (Rounded to the nearest hundred). Estimated Max Output (Lumens) values are calculated based on measurements taken 30 seconds after turn on and are obtained through a DIY 'pvc lumen tube' in an effort to achieve diffusion of dissimilar beam profiles. As such, these values should be taken as "rough approximations."

Runtime Tests:

The following tests took place in 65°F Ambient temperature, indoors, with very little air movement. The flashlight sits head facing down on a piece of glass that is recessed inside a 4" PVC pipe. No external cooling was used.

Using a rechargeable Olight RCR123A cell the output begins to very slowly stepdown at 1 minute. Shortly after 3 minutes the stepdown is complete and output is about 310lm. This output is maintained until 56 minutes when output suddenly drops to 90lm. Output suddenly drops again at 61 minutes down to 10lm. Protection on the cell trips at 75 minutes and measures 3.008v after reactivation.

Using the included Olight CR123A cell, output very rapidly falls from 0-30 seconds then output levels until about 2.5 minutes when output begins to stepdown. The stepdown is complete at 3 minutes. Output stays fairly constant at about 300lm until 70 minutes when output slowly falls. Interestingly, the exterior temperature begin to climb fairly quickly. I believe that is due to the driver dealing with the now low voltage of the CR123A cell. Output is down to 100lm at 90 minutes. At 110 minutes low voltage protection (LVP) kicks in and the light begin to slowly flash on and off.

Pictures:

The Olight S Mini Baton SUS Limited Edition Thunder Grey arrived in a nice little box.

The light is wedged in some cutout hard foam. The Manual is neatly tucked in a little storage area in the lid of the box, and the included Olight CR123A cell in preinstalled and insulated in the S Mini Baton.

Here's a look at the front of the manual.

And the very detailed instructions and operation translated in many languages.

The Thunder Grey PVD coating on the stainless steel is exquisite. I very few flashlights in my collection that rival the beauty of this finish. I tried my best, but only a few of my pictures really show its magnificence.

The Blue PVD coated bezel and switch ring are present and go together rather well in my opinion.

Here's a closeup of that neat TIR Optic that does a great job of limiting spill and focusing most of the output into a large 'hotspot'.

The lettering is done in a light grey color instead of the normal white color. Very nice attention to detail there.

The switch is very similar to the S1R. It sticks up just a bit. There is a tiny amount of squish before activation. With the semi-integrated clip attached, finding the switch is quite easy.

This is one shot that really show the S Mini Baton SUS Thunder Grey's beauty. You may have noticed that the clip sits in a machined groove. Another nice detail.

The opposite side. There is no lanyard attachment on the tailcap on this model. Instead, there are a few places on the clip where a lanyard could be attached if one desires.

The end of the tailcap. There is no magnet in this model.

Here's a look at the yellow insulator, in place during shipping to prevent accidental activation.

The threads are nicely square and lubed up. There is no physical lockout. The tailcap threads on super smooth and quiet.

Down the tube is a small spring.

Comparison:

First up for comparison we have, From left to right: Eneloop Pro AA, Olight S Mini Baton SuS Thunder Grey, H1 Nova, Olight S2R, Olight S10R, Olight 18650 cell.

And compared to the other Olights in my collection.

From left to right: Olight S Mini Baton SuS Thunder Grey, H1 Nova, S1R, S10R III, S1A, S2R, S30R III, R50 Pro Seeker, X7 Marauder.

Beamshots:

As with all beamshots in my reviews, every shot is taken using the same settings in manual mode.

In this location the central tree trunk is about 50 yards away. The water line is about 35 yards away. The hanging tree limb in the upper left quadrant of the pictures is about 10 yards away.

Quite a variety of lights in this beamshot comparison.

The Olight S1A has a very similar beam profile. The S Mini Baton SUS has a very large 'hotspot' with very little spill.

Olight S Mini Baton : Medium - Turbo

Moon and Low are not bright enough to capture at this distance.

The S Mini Baton SUS has very well spaced modes and a good tint. It's not a perfect pure white, when white wall hunting a hint of blue can be seen in the dim spill.

Conclusion:

The Olight S Mini Baton SUS Thunder Grey Limited Edition is a Beautiful, Fantastic, Ultra-Compact CR123A/RCR123A Flashlight.

Why do I want this thing so much??

But man, no magnet is a no-go for me. Got a S1 and an H1, the tail magnet is very useful.

BTW, much envy of the Olight family shot.

Also, Solarfarce? Typo or intentional? :smiley:

Intentional. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s a clone from a few years back. Pretty decent quality for ~$9 irrc.

My Top EDC Olights…. :wink:

Why olight’s not produced smini in polished and sandblasted stainless steel design? It’s much better then PVD for EDC.

I love their little lights, well done review and pics. But, for me when they dropped the magnet, I lost interest.

I’ve carried the rainbow S Mini on and off for 9 months and the PVD finish has been pretty robust. I’m not throwing the light around and it’s clipped into a pocket, but so far, so good.

I don’t mind not having a magnet, as that’s a feature I don’t find myself needing all that much.

It’s a nice little light and quite powerful for my basic EDC needs.

Chris