Sellers that don't protect your privacy

I really don’t like it when sites use customer data to market products. One of them even has the customer’s full name.

I agree with you about privacy, but in this case where is full name?

…agree with privacy but sometimes the “privacy” has no logic and goes overboard.

PS: not having a go at your comment, just my 2cents worth on my thinking.

• Finn from Germany in the Wurkos screen dump could be anyone of thousands so no privacy issue from my perspective
  • Sofirn provides the full name (bottom left corner) which I dont like but realistically could be anyone on the planet and is of little value.

Its not bank accounts etc and offers zero value to anyone/organisation looking to build up a profile of that person. It doesnt even mean that person is located in Germany :slight_smile:

You get far more info on general searches of social media users as an example.

The reason for my first comment:

Recently sent a marketing email to a list of 40 landcare members as “TO” and not “BCC” all located in the local area. Only had one person complaining I’ve exposed her email address to everyone “for all and sundry to see” and that its a gross invasion of privacy.

Of course I responded with “a thousand apologies and will never happen again etc” but thinking WTF, since when is a general email address private information that’s likely provided to “all and sundry” anyway. With today’s technology we can block whoever we want.

How times have changed in terms of general privacy thinking.

What are the chances they sell your complete data ? pretty high i'd say.

First image bottom left corner: it shows jason’s full name.

neals gadgets site uses those annoying pop ups too

I use an ad blocker to hide them

This is nothing in today’s world.

Solarforce, on the other hand leaving full database unsecured for a very long time even after being informed is why they do not exist anymore.

Personally bought a fair amount from them until that, then never again.

Social media is an opt in. I did not opt into letting them use my name and location for marketing. I was just buying a light. Also, I wouldn’t defend a marketing tactic because the two examples here are common names. It’s a gross thing to do.

I really don’t like it when sites use customer data to market products. One of them even has the customer’s full name.

Talking about this to someone thats had experience with it….feedback is its all-dummy data (name generator) as a typical marketing tool to drive interest to specific products.
……so true, then zero concern on privacy :slight_smile:

IME these pop-ups are fake (randomly generated). These kind of popups are “supposed” to increase the consumers likeliness to make a purchase. This is the digital equivalent to planting fake crowds in shops.

EDIT: By no means does this prove that your privacy is safe on this site. Most companies have no regard for user privacy, that’s just the way things are now.

I’m coming back to this thread because something weird just happened. I was on sofirn’s site thinking of purchasing something, put it in my cart and went through checkout to see shipping cost, but decided to not get it after all. Then I went back to sofirnlight.com to reconsider and the little pop-up in the corner showed MY FULL NAME and the light that I had almost checked out with!

So, they’re NOT fake randomly generated names. I even tried an incognito mode to see if it comes up again and sure enough, popped up with my name. Tried again 10 minutes later and it stilled popped up with my name. Thank god Vasily Kruzhilin purchased the SP10 diffuser so it finally stopped popping up with my name!

Well that sucks. These companies should definitely put more effort into securing their customer’s privacy. Even if they don’t have any ill intents, who knows where these data will end up.

China has a different attitude towards privacy I presume. Someone should contact them and tell them it’s not ok in the western world.

When I clicked this thread I didn’t expect to see manufacturers official websites, two companies I wouldn’t hesitate to boycot.

I don’t get the point of these popups anyway. Am I supposed to get excited that some rando 2 states away from me just bought a dual direction pocket clip? I mean, what am I supposed to do with that information?

My guess is it’s supposed to be like ‘look at all these real people buying our lights, that’s how you know we’re legit’ but that seems pretty weak.

We could play them, use celebrity or nonsense names to go to the checkout screen.
Who knew Marvin the Martian liked 21700 lights and Wile E Coyote (super genius) likes 14500s.
A 4x21700 light might be too big for Tweety Bird, but a 18650 would be perfect for Gossamer :smiley:

Also Ge Bort likes Titanium :innocent:

Be the change you want to see. I complained to Sofirn, now they no longer show your name to other people when you make purchases.

I highly recommend not using your main (mobile) phone number on Ali, Sofirn or Wurkkos.

Got the packets labelled with my phone number clearly written on them.
Didn’t took long until I received spam calls from „Interpol“ and others…