Sofirn C01S SST-20 4.000K 95CRI / Low-High version available again!

Is this going to happen soon ? I’m about to buy 1. But got interest in lower lumens for longer runtime.

Looking at the demand in C01R and considering that my initial expectations were exceeded, I personally feel quite confident they will adopt this enhanced UI sooner or later to C01S, too. It's probably a matter of 'when' the next batch is being produced. Moreover, I wouldn't mind if they did not only use different body colors but also different light colors apart from neutral white and deep red. A green (C01G), blue (C01B) or yellow (C01Y) might be interesting as well even though I expect less interest than in C01R. They could also try testing Osram's CSLNM1.TG or CULNM1.TG with this light, using the original driver of C01S or C01R (I doubt it's overstraining the Boost HX LED). Acebeam for instance has successfully introduced Osram's White Flat 1 in their M50 keychain light. Last but not least they could wind up this series with a 365nm UV-A version with LG's LEUVA33W70RL00 (if they used a reflector for the TIR optic).

TL;DR: Lots of potential left for these tiny twisties.

What about C01IR infrared ? Maybe can work with the same driver of C01R.
waiting news of C01S E21A soon…

I’d be down with a yellow/amber version.

As far as future 3 mode white versions getting a different LED, I’m only interested if it’s high CRI. I would like if they kept the current LED and tried a different optic. The one on the Manker E02 II is fantastic and would go great in a light like the C01S IMO.

I like the UI on the C01R… a sublumen on the C01S would be nice. Personally, I think the 4000k SST20 color of the current C01S beam is perfect. A sublumen level in addition to the current two would be excellent.

Also, a “flood” version of the C01S would be great!

Are there any useful scenarios for an infrared keychain light? AFAIK, infrared is useful for hunting or military applications (mostly in combination with a scope mounted onto a rifle). But infrared in a keychain light? I'm afraid that would arouse even less interest than another light color like "royal blue". You need an (expensive) infrared night-vision device to see anything in this wavelength (> 800nm). Green might be an intriguing option for its output could be even higher than a white LED (see Osram's Ostar Projection Compact emitters for reference).

Concerning C01S using Nichia E21A I am still waiting for an update from Sofirn. They are trying hard to get a reply from their supplier(s).

Like to improve vision of some portable Sony cam.
Don’t know if exist single AAA IR flashlights,
it would be the first and unique.
But of course demand can be low.
Sorry what application have for example Royal blue?

I see what you mean. But just because something is unique it is not necessarily causing significant demand. I doubt we will reach at least a reasonable MPQ of 200-300 pcs accounted for an infrared keychain light.

I used the example of “royal blue“ on purpose since it will probably be one of the less interesting light colors. So, I chose this comparison to emphasize how small the demand for an infrared version will probably be. Blue light is often reported to be advantageous for finding blood trails when hunting. Apart from that it could be interesting for lightpainting.

Interested check list?

Feel free to set up an interest check. ;-)

I think this is my 1st post here. I’m trying to find out what body colors have been released for the low-high version of the C01S.

I think this post might help: basically anything but RED

Hi all,

I'd like to order several units in different colors (no ano - blue - orange - red) but want to be sure I'll get a 2-mode Low-High version (not High-Low).

The red version is still available on aliexpress, no longer on sofirnlight.

Is this information in the first post still valid for current orders, either on sofirnlight or on aliexpress:

Black: mode order high > low

Red/Blue/Gray: mode order low > high

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952525303.html

What about the other colors, apart from the Red/Blue/Gray mentionned above?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cemoi, Good idea to order a packaged deal.
I don’t think anyone knows their inventory status, it will be better if you message the seller directly, the owners name is Barry.

Another good solution to this issue is the "twist for Low, twist further for High" UI which is unfortunately less common than "twist for Low, twist off then on for High". I have it on my (first generation?) DQG Tiny AAA, DQG Hobi and Astrolux M01. If there are enough threads so that at least one turn is required between Low and High, there is no risk to ruin you night vision because of an unwanted activation of High. Moreover, I find it more intuitive for non flashaholics : the more you tighten, the brighter. Too bad this is not available on more lights, including the C01S.

Later versions of the Tiny and Hobi no longer use that. I’m pretty sure it also flickers going in/out of modes and has to have everything really clean to function well. I suspect there is a reason this isn’t more popular.

I was wrong about the Tiny: even my 3rd generation has the classical "twist off - twist on" to change modes.

The two others (Hobi and Astrolux) do flicker but only in Low mode, and for other reasons:

Hobi: the tailcap can be screwed more or less deeply on the "middle tube": if it is too deep, the light goes on as soon as the head is placed on the middle tube, even when the o-ring is still visible. I must find a way to keep the tailcap at an exact position (within 1mm) WRT the middle tube: I've tried with blue Loctite but this affects the electrical contact. Maybe soldering the tailcap to the middle tube?

Astrolux: because of the wobbly head. I've tried teflon tape, it reduces the wobbling, but makes the head easier to turn and therefore more prone to accidental activation.

You’re right of course. Unfortunately the hardware would have to be modified fundamentally.

Olights i1R does it right.

Correct, its threads are extremely well machined, absolutely no flickering.

I bought one but returned it because of the non-replaceable battery, and even worse the impossibility to check its voltage. So no way to avoid discharging below 40% SoC which is how I prefer to baby my Li-ion batteries: you can't tell how discharged it is unless you drive it to a point where there is little difference in brightness between both modes.

C01S alwasy starts on Low, twist for Low, twist off then on for High.

There is a 10180 mini keychain light works as “twist for Low 10LM, twist further for High 330LM”. It will be available to buy on sofirnlight.com soon.