Sofirn factory covering up scratches (Resolved)

They’ve been excellent in the past with replacing faults but this is a larger issue than 1 or 2pcs

I might email Barry instead

Now that it’s daytime I was able to capture it with better lighting.

Are there other marks in the knurling around the circumference, possibly equally spaced at about 120° from clamping in a 3-jaw chuck on a lathe?

That many blems in one order means it was not a random event most likely. Should be easy to fix though. Credit your account a few bucks each and sell them as blems at a reduced price. Keep us posted.

I would have said rather than scratches that before they were anodised the light was dirty. Anodising doesn’t like sticking to anything but ultra clean aluminium.

I agree. Probably some contamination, or other flaw in the anodizing process.

I doubt that any demonstrably lax QC process that would allow those examples through to begin with would devote resources to any sort of rework provisions. It’s not a type of finish the lends itself to repair to begin with.

If they’re lax enough not to spot them, they’re certainly not going to go back and make the effort to attempt to fix them. They should just be sold as blems, or seconds, and not shipped to dealers.

Still no word from Sofirn :frowning:

Only when it’s positive.

It could simply be that my contact is away, the videos I sent have 0 views.

I’ve had quite good service from them but usually replying can take up to a week which is annoying being a dealer.

Recently started importing from Skilhunt and their service is top notch, always a reply within 30min - 2hrs

Ordered a large amount of the Skilhunt H04F RC headlamps to find the diffuser hinge causes a lot of glare into the eyes making it unusable, emailed through a video showing the problem, 30min later an email offering free parts to change optics to the H04

Resolved

I’ll receive $2 usd discount per SP40 and $5 usd for the SP70, was hoping for more but I’m not losing money so no problem. Other companies require sending units back with faults, Sofirn just send me new units so that’s good service, that something to be really thankful for.

They’re checking with their QC department to find out why this happened.

Glad it’s okay now. I would not expect less from Sofirn. Who will have to step up their QC a notch.

Good news. :+1: Sofirn

Problem solved, great :+1:

Have to say, I have had a lot of Sofirns and never had such problems with quality (just checked my remaining Sofirns - all good). Seems their anodization company messed up and tried to literally cover that up. Good they’re blown.

I can feel your pain, I know how picky hunters are, like Paris Hilton with her purses,
Their teeth are all brown and they got black nails but they only go for the shiniest .

reordering the whole shippment is pain,
So at least you get the Sp40 for around 15? and SP70 for 45?
Sounds like these guys make you feel like they are doing you a huge favor.Well thats life
Glad you got them to honor your claim.

I read something recently where Tom E was having a hard time with the same gang sending him bad anno and it was even screwing up his programming code.

Currently I’m working on a 3D model of the LT1 to have a reference for designing accessories:

While measuring all details I noticed several nicks and scratches that are covered with a black marker as well. Like a small nick on the switch bezel or some spots on the knurling. Nothing dramatic and expected if not being extremely careful during manufacturing and assembly. I’ve also seen it on much more expensive lights. Just interesting that they take the time to hide these defects. Similar to the Wurkkos FC11 manuals that were post-processed with a marker to fix the LED type.