Sofirn SP10 Pro (AA/14500/Andúril 2) - now available!

Great to hear that a new prototype arrived for you, TK! Now we can continue… :smiley:

Awesome news! Sounds like a good driver and with flashing pads even better. Hope it will be available soon.

TK, great news regarding ML mode. Sounds like an exceptional light in the works.

Thanks for your part in this.

I need one! There is parasitic drain?

Of course, there is. It is an e-switch light, so the controller has power all the time.

I measured about 0.03 mA in standby, using a NiMH cell.

If that’s accurate, that works out to like 5+ years of standby time when using an Eneloop battery.

In firefly mode, it was about 4.1 mA (~5 mW), which should last about 3 weeks (20 days) per charge. That’s similar to the performance of a ZebraLight SC52 on L2a and L2b modes, which I measured at 7.0 mA and 2.5 mA (12 days vs 33 days).

The Jetbeam RRT01, by comparison, runs at about 20 mA (~72 mW) in firefly mode, which lasts only a couple days.

Any thoughts on usb charging?

Thoughts on USB charging in this light are:

No.

There are reasons why pretty much nobody puts chargers into multi-chemistry AA/NiMH/14500 lights.

Yes, maybe 10 years ago. Just write some logic that makes it not charge while battery is below 2.8 volt and it will be perfectly fine. This is not a big issue.

Edit.

Wow, I wrote something rude to TK. Not nice sorry. Didn’t see you at first. Do you have a hard time implementing charging status/criteria’s in anduril? Limited space? I know you have a limited budget on small chips, if they are even available. But the code can’t be that complicated now?

Please, no usb charging on this light

Three things in life are certain.

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Lumen9000’s relentless crusade for USB charging.

im with yah :slight_smile:

i hate in built usb charge. It’s unreliable and lost of waterproof.

USB charging:

Olight Universal charger:

Very convenient.

Do not charge LiIon while sleeping.

Changed your phone’s battery often nowadsyes? Would be ashame if your phone had charging capabilities.

Charging is completely separate from the LED driver. Anduril’s code is irrelevant to this topic.

You participated in the recent poll about built-in charging, so I assume you’re aware of people’s reasons for not wanting it, but there are a bunch of other reasons on top of all the stuff people mentioned in that thread… like engineering, cost, and safety.

Charging a single-cell LiIon-only light isn’t so bad, though it’s still typically not great. NiMH is much more difficult though, and in a light which can take alkaline primaries, lithium primaries, NiMH, NiCD, LiIon, and LiFePO4… even if all the circuitry could fit inside such a small light, the SP10 is primarily sold to non-enthusiasts who may not even know not to charge an alkaline cell. I handled Sofirn’s Amazon returns for a while, and you know what the #1 reason was for returns? Customers couldn’t figure out that they needed to remove the shipping protection stickers from batteries.

This light needs to be safe for that market.

Well said TK.

That’s the curse of knowledge. We know and therefore we don’t know what it’s like to not know these things.

There are li-ion battery charger ICs that will detect a short at a voltage higher than AA cells, including lithium cells, therefore those wouldn’t try to charge primary cells.

There are also nimh/li-ion charger ICs, although the few I’ve seen require an input to choose the chemistry (juste a simple high/low, or I2c), there are probably standalone ones that can detect which chemistry was inserted, but then there is a risk of charging a primary cell.

In any cases there are other considerations, as TK and others have mentionned, but I don’t think the dual chemistry is an issue here, well aside from a customer complaining that the light isn’t recharging his alkaline…

It’d be cool to get some changes done to the host for this light, but Sofirn won’t even change the clip.

The prototype which arrived yesterday was pretty much identical to a SP10 v3 except for the driver. I don’t know why the v3 was made though, since v2 was nicer. In particular, the tailcap has like a third as much surface area for tail-standing, so it falls over easily… and the button was downgraded. There’s also a 2-way clip which is pretty “meh” both ways instead of being good for at least one direction. The reverse-voltage protection makes my 14500 cells not work. And the LED seems green compared to others I use… but I’m pretty sensitive to that, and have been a bit spoiled by sw45k and tint-mix lights which are well below BBL.

However, the beam shape is nice, the CCT is fairly neutral and consistent, the host is lightweight and rugged, it’s the first AA-compatible Anduril light, it has reflashing pads, the driver seems pretty efficient, it goes smoothly from very low to very high (for an AA cell), it comes in pretty colors, and the price is really good. It’s a very practical item.

So… it’s not perfect. But as a budget AA light, it’s pretty good.

That’s awesome to hear, and what we can hope for from Sofirn. Good price, reflashing pads, decent build and beam shape. Throw an SW45K in there and call it a day.

Basically, i want to buy this driver. The host really misses so many points for me.

Get this driver in an FW1AA style light with a TIR and good clip… that’s the spot