Sofirn SP36 spewed toxic chemicals throughout my entire house

Just to add some more details I was using the sofirn cells that were included. The light worked fine before. The batteries were definitely in the correct orientation. The only thing I can think of is I brought the flashlight in on a cold night and there was probably some condensation.

Is a chlorine plastic hose smell really consistent with a lithium ion battery venting? I feel much better today. What should I do here? should I be worried about the rest of the stuff in the room? I also had some vitamin supplements and a few other things although most of them were well sealed.

The light was used the day before. I have never opened it a single time since first installing the batteries. I am pretty much certain it was a genuine product because like I said I bought the blf version as well so I have both of them they are identical looking identical feeling and put out an identical amount of light that is exactly the same temperature.

Pic of the flashlight as it currently is

Sorry but need to confirm first, also to see if it is a genuine product

Not saying yr story isnt true, but its the times we live in

It could literally be any thing?

The light, The batteries, The charger itself, Internal wiring, USB cable?

The smell you are describing sounds like a PCB melting, My soldering iron broke and i was doing some work didn’t notice the tip was at like 600 degrees Celsius and i melted a PCB. Worse smell ive ever the cheaper PCBs seems to smell worse than the better ones.

You really need to open that up and see what’s damaged for sure. You can’t put that in the mail and return it if it has damaged lithium batteries. You need to know. You really need to know. Heck, now we want to know :smiley:

Is a quick and fast way to upload pics from ur phone

Just post the link, no need to embed em in the post

It’s time to find some cheap plastic or latex gloves, go outside and open the light. Dump the batteries and check the positive ends. Look at the face of the driver. Describe and/or take pics of what looks ‘wrong’.

Never. do. that.

Never leave a li-ion charger operating unwatched.

Worst case, NOT applicable to your experience, but for caution to others:

WARNING: if a cell vents with flame, that reaction can produce hydrogen fluoride, which is what you’d want to immediately tell an emergency room doctor as
the health effects of exposure to HF may not show up for several days.

You mentioned : The smell was so strong that simply plugging my phone into the same charger for 5 minutes has made my phone charging port emit the smell to the point where I can smell it from 3 feet away.

Do you even suspect your charger than to the light?

Okay guys I am going to work on this. This thing is seriously inside of a plastic bag inside of a tupperware outside because even the plastic bag was not enough to get rid of the smell so I’m not looking forward to it but I guess you’re right. Without taking the pics I’m not giving you enough info. So if I had a severe headache all day yesterday but I feel much better today do you think I’m physically okay at this point? What would an emergency room even do about hydrogen fluoride? From my understanding when you’re exposed to stuff like this there isn’t a whole lot they actually do for you.

The entire light smelled like this. I was using a 7-foot USB cable that was probably 5 feet from the charger. The charger has no smell whatsoever. Just the tip of the cable. Whatever offgassed and filled the entire house with a smell was bigger than a USB c connector

Pic of the top of the bats (positive), the inside of the head (where the bat + connects to) and the usb port (flap open)

That should tells us what we need to know

Also the negative bat terminal and the springs if u can

A respirator might help

- do it outside

- If there’s airflow, hold he light downwind of you

  • if there’s no breeze, do you have a small fan you can use to blow its smells away from you?

After a few days, there should be very little gas / smoke left in the light, but safety is always a good habit.

Ziplock bags aren’t scent proof at all, so that’s not surprising. If you can afford to, I would play it safe and ask a doctor.

Pictures are coming shortly. Just a couple of very interesting updates. The first one is the light still turns on and functions. The second is the cells look to be intact, but there is clearly burning on the board on the bottom of the head that the positive terminals contact. And the third is the fact that the smell is still exceptionally strong that even with fans blowing outside it was difficult for my girlfriend and I to tolerate. I really can’t understate how strong this smell is.

Album — Postimages

Something defo went wrong there then, burn’t up alright - I’ve seen something like this before on here, now who was it?
If memory serves me correct, he went outside at night and it happened in his hand and there was smoke in the head. Was a different light though I think….

One of my SP36's threw a wobbly while charging and stank to high heaven of a chemical smell.

It was the charging circuit as far as I could tell.

The cells look okay right? Am I just dealing with a very smelly board? I’m assuming it’s the charging board in particular because the flashlight still functions, ramps everything

Just out of curiosity when a board burns up and start smoking and smelling what is actually in the air and what is the lingering smell? Is this essentially just burnt plastic, resin and solder and that kind of thing? I don’t really know what these are made of.