Solarforce L2M dive test

Interesting post over at CPF. This guy took his Solarforce L2m on a dive to 65 feet. Fortunately he didn't need the light because he said below about 15 feet the tail clicky pushes in due to pressure and won't release. But it was with him the whole time and then when he got back above 15 feet, the clicky let go and the light came on. So the light still worked fine. He said there did seem to be some moisture inside the light, but apparently not much since the light still worked after being submerged for over an hour.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=308284

That's good to know since I have 2 L2m's. All I need to do now is take scuba diving lessons.:bigsmile:

As long as there set up correctly , no reason they wont work under water ..

Very cool! I was noticing the very snug and clean fit of all of the seals/o-rings on my L2i and I would feel very confident taking it into the water with me.

So with a forward clicky it automatically turns on at 15 feet? Why, that's a nice feature!;)

The switch is the weak point otherwise pretty nice feature.

Yup, that's how I read it as well :P

Getting a very stiff switch might be enough for a couple dozen of meters... beyond that it would be a miracle if it doesent get flooded. The pressure must be very high at that point.

Maybe a twisty wouldn't be affected by the depth? I was replacing the lens in my Solarforce yesterday and was surprised how well-made the front seal is. They seem to use a notched o-ring and then an extra plate or gasket in there so the retaining ring doesn't bind with the o-ring. Plus the o-rings on the body tube are so tight. I'm not surprised that it stays watertight to way deeper than 2 meters.

Under enough pressure, water will make its way into most things. But then I've no intention of getting my lights any farther under water than I'm prepared to go and that isn't all that far these days.

A twisty with plenty of O rings close to the on position ought to seal pretty well, though maybe not to deep enough for the scuba guys.

While obviously you don't want to have water (especially sea water) inside your flashlight, would it actually make any difference?

Surely at the voltages we are working at, water shouldn't really be a conductor to any degree that matters?

Someone tell me why I'm wrong...please! :)

This one is very well built with a magnetic, even ramping switch. Claimed to do up to 100m but i did not try. XD Many orings and very thick walled and a very thick 4mm or more (seems more to me) front lens!