Tenergy "D" cells 10,000ma NiMH 8 @ $24.99

I emailed the seller yesterday and asked him if he had any more of these (and also mentioned it would be nice to buy them as either 4 or 8 packs).

He was kind enough to relist the item in both 4 and 8 count if anyone is still interested in these.

It's such a good deal, I decided to build another 4D XM-L Mag-Mod :)

"Have 4 on at this number: 350520937615 & Have 8 on at this number: 190623712882"

Might just have to jump on these while they are available! 4 pack here for $14.99 free shipping. Really wish I could get C's.

-Garry

They might have some C size. Never hurts to shoot them an email through their Ebay page.

I just purchased the 4 pack. Need to get a decent D cell charger now. Any recommendations ?

I was looking around for months for a good NiCd/NiMh charger after a POS Chinese AA NiMh charger almost burned my house down (yes, all the stuff you hear about lithiums and I was almost done in by a NiMh charger...)

I finally came across the Maha, looked at the price of it, flinched a bit, then I purchased it. I decided it was better to spend a little bit more money on a good charger and NOT burn my house down...

http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C808M-Cell-Multi-Charger/dp/B000E65DG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325780748&sr=8-3

I leave this unplugged when not charging batteries, when I do use it to charge - I power it off of a surge suppressor. I've been using it for about 3 years now with no problems, hopefully it will last forever.

I've been looking at trying this one. Seemed pretty well reviewed when I researched it. http://www.batteryjunction.com/vabcunsmch.html

-Garry

That one isn't so fast at charging D sized batteries...

"While it does have some very nice features, it is slow. I often charge high-capacity D-cells. Each battery is rated at 11,000 mAh. This charger requires about 24 hours to charge four simultaneously."

Message Sent. Will see what they say.

-Garry

Thanks! I have the MAHA Powerex MH-C9000 for charging my AA and AAA batteries, I love it! The only thing holding me back from ordering the MH-C808M is the price. I'll shop around and see if I can get one for less than $85. BTW, I have all my electronics plugged into Brickwall Filters (www.brickwall.com) Expensive, but well worth the peace of mind..

I didn't realize it was THAT slow! I was expecting like 15 to 16hrs. Any "budget" priced that charge C's & D's faster?

-Garry

I did a lot of reasearch looking for the best D charger that I could find. I couldn't find one that would charge all 8 "D" batteries at 2A besides the 808-M. At first it seemed like a lot but after I used it, I understand why it's expensive. It charges 8AA Eneloops in about an hour. Depending on how empy my D batteries are, it can take up to 5 hours to completely recharge them. That's much better than most other chargers :)

Those are some awesome surge protectors that you have. Well worth every penny you paid for them.

I've got 4 protecting my Computers, Stereo, and my Home Theater systems. I purchased the first one about 12 years ago and it's still going strong. Highly recommended

I'm not sure, but I would be worried about a budget C/D charger. You have to pay a decent amount of money before you get a powerful brick (dc adapter).

Even some of the Maha reviews on Amazon talk about fires, although I'd suspect most of them are from people charging lower capacity batteries with a charger meant for high capacity batteries. IE, if you try to charge a "solar light AA" from your garden that has a capacity of 200mAh on the Maha charger, it's probably going to explode LoL.

They do have some C's, just not the Titanium 6000 mAh's I wanted. Here is their response:

"We have Tenergy C 5000mAh and Titanium C 5000mAh. They are four for $10.99 shipped free in USA".

How do these sound? Which brand would you choose?

-Garry

What about this charger? http://www.all-battery.com/tenergyT9688universalcharger-01127.aspx

That charger doesn't seem too bad for me. Increased charging rate from 700mAh to 1300mAh. Not much more than the other Tenergy. Thanks!

-Garry

I should have stated that I don't actually own this charger. I am considering getting the charger/D or C cell combos that AB.com offers.

I wish I could help you out. I have never purchased either brand of that battery in that size. I only have some C cells that I got from China-Ebay. Maybe someone here has done some drain tests on those two brands?

Maybe you should just buy one set of each and then let everyone here know which ones are better :)

I think both brands are pretty well respected.

-Garry

garrybunk,

This is the charger I have been using http://www.batteryjunction.com/md-3000-charger.html It has done a good job for me. Charge time may be a little slow but it has revived some very old NiMH batteries to usable condition. When I discharge-recharge the time is very long but if it doesn't hurt the battery I'm fine with that. And you have to remember, if you're going to be charging 10,000+ mAh D cells the large capacity will equal long charge time. As I mentioned previously, I have many batteries so there are always fresh ones in the light while others are charging/conditioning.

As far as Tenergy, I've had no problem with them and will continue to purchase until I do. I recently bought 16 Eneloops since they seem to be the excepted standard in AAs. I conditioned two of them along with two Tenergy AAs in the same charger and placed them in identical (as close as I could make them) flashlights and put them in my toolbox. I plan on pulling them out once a month for an basic evaluation until one starts looking dim. I'll continue until I feel one no longer produces usable light. Not fair to the Tenergy cells because they're not LSD cells but they do advertise higher mAh so lets see.

atbglenn,

Please explain your TVSS strategy. I reviewed the Brickwall "How it works" page and it appears that all they are doing is not diverting excess voltage to the neutral+ground, choosing instead to divert only to the ground. The problem is that in your (and my) fuse/breaker box the neutral and ground share the same buss bar.

I think that means that with Brickwall, the spike in voltage will not simply be diverted directly back into your sensitive electronics but back to the breakerbox...then back to your sensitive electronics via the neutral.

About 10 or 15 years ago we had a lightning storm around here, nothing special. When I came home from work I found my TV and one track of my very expensive Sony, stereo VCR were dead. No sign of lightning strike, just enough financial loss that it wasn't worth a claim. Two weeks later, I went up to my summer home to find the stereo and TV also dead. The funny thing was that home did not experience the same storm, just another small rain storm with some lightning. After that I decided to get serious about TSVV.

If I remember correctly, and its been a long time, the key is to ground the surge/spike very close to the spike. That is to say the supressor should be mounted in the fuse/breaker box which is exactly what I did.

Most houses around here are only grounded through the water main, I added two copper grounds to my home and one to my summer place and installed TVSSs to the breaker boxes. That way the surge is diverted to a better than average ground at the source. It is very possible, even likely that you know more than I about this but I would like to learn.