Test results for D size NiMh Batteries

Nice!

If you ever get the chance, try the Ultrafire DV-S9? 26650, triple O-rings at the tail, magnetic slider for moonlight-to-turbo. Quite nice for ~15bux(US).

https://www.fasttech.com/p/6550300 (BLF discount applies! :smiley: )

Wondered why the huge discrepancy in NiMH D cells. I know the Rat Shack ones were essentially NiMH AA cells but mounted in a D-sized shell (ie, same capacity for AA and D!), but wondered if I could assume something similar for the D cells you mentioned.

2AH to 10AH is a huge difference!

THe 2500mAh or so D cells tend to be very light.It never crossed my mind that they may be a shell with an AA inside. I’ll need to look into that, literally.

Great info! would be nice to see how they perform at higher amp. Thanks a lot

[quote=torchythebatteryboy]

Long time ago I had some Radio Shack NiCad D’s - 4400mA. Used them for diving in a 4xD light (18W) almost every weekend for probably 8 years. Then got some 8x Radio Shack 4500mA NiMh. These have a 2002 date on them. They got used the same way for ~ 10 years. I still have them and use them in emergency lanterns. At last capacity test they came close to spec, ~4300mA. Hefty batteries, reliable as hell. I’ve had a number of different D’s during that period, but none that could do the weekly long haul like these. They sure as hell are not AA in a D-shell. Maybe they changed them later, but these were excellent.

I’ve read, but not tested, that D-Eneloops are shells.

Check Tenergy brand please?

I’ve had good results from a year+ hard use of the C-Centura LSD.

I had lousy results from the blue 10K, but they were an eBay deal and may have been stored/abused. They lasted 2-3 years and performed poorly with lousy retention. OK if used immediately after filling.

Testing underway as we speak.

Not having much luck finding a UK seller

That’s what I use. I have the blue ones. I think these were top dog like 7 years ago. Then the white ones came out which I think were a bit better.

Yeah, back when they were widely available on eBay I bought some of the Tenergy LSD cells
— light blue with a lower case letter “e” on the side. They were on deep discount in large batches.
(At the time they were discontinued, no longer for sale on Tenergy’s site, replaced by the white ones now available)

They were, most of them, terrible — lost capacity fast on the shelf. Maybe one in eight or ten was good.
I read somewhere later that a lot of them had been in outdoor metal shipping box storage that sat too long in the heat.

I agree completely on the MAHA Imedions. I’ve not found anything that outperforms them.

Same Blue Tenergys I got. Heard the same story, had similar results.

Hi TTBB,

Glad to see you on here, we normally meet on eBay UK!

Many Thanks for the Graphs Page Link. Bookmarked.

Had good results so far with a pair of Uniross (Blue and White colour) 10,000mAh Non LSD D batteries.

Self-Discharge doesn’t seem to be too horrific, considering the total capacity.

Tested at 700mA Discharge on a 1Amp Charge / Test cycle (1.5V to 1V) on a BT-C3100 V2.2 at 9490/9489mAh. Brand New. Should get better with use.

Surprisingly close results. Would be good for multiple battery lights.

Using them in Lumintop SD4A’s.

Cheers,
Splott-Light :slight_smile:

I bought 4 of them a while back. All of them were complete crap.

Well, I have both LSD D cells from Tenergy and Imedion to power my Fenix TK70 modded by saablaster.

It’s been quiet a long while since I have refreshed them but when I will have time in the near future I will take a discharge test in my iCharger and get a Logview graph of its discharge performance, perhaps at 7amps, though from simple discharge tests I have done when I initially got the Imedions and 15 months of so thereafter, I remember I am not happy with its capacity retention. Both cells have undergone break-in
and eventual refresh processes in both iCharger and Maha C9000 using adaptors.

I would be very interested in seeing that test. :+1:
Unfortunately a reliability test would take 5-10 years. :wink:

Rest results updated, graphs now show 250mA, 1A, 2.5A and 5A discharge: Torchy the Battery Boy: NiMh D size Batteries
Out of curiosity, what would you use them in that draws 5A?

Thanks for the test. Some of them are quite interesting results. The so shine and ebl do rather well in this category.

Any chance you can post suppliers for these? I have a possible need for some and, IIRC when I looked got very few search results.