Thinking about getting into knives - is this good for a start?

For $10 shipped, what do you think of this? ( I don’t even know what to look for in a knife actually) HELP!

http://www.doingoutdoor.com/sanrenmu-srm-lb763-axis-lock-high-quality-steel-folding-knife-p-122.html

SRM and Enlan Bee are both good knife makers, you won’t be disappointed with either brands’ products.

Here’s a video review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1pTSRJJD4I

There are also a couple of reviews in this forum as well. :slight_smile:

Edit: Wow, posting takes a lot of time.

Looks pretty average to me. But it’s passable.

whatever, but please don’t cut yourself.
I like ordinary un-sharp knives. Even if you meet with the blade by accident.
you won’t get hurt.

Do you get to actually use the knife? As in, peel some fruit or something? I’ve always wondered about if it ever gets used the way a usual knife is used.

A sharp knife can be safer because most knife related accidents occur because the knife is dull and the user puts more force, increasing the likelihood of slipping.

I am something of a budget knife collector, but I tend toward old or traditional knives. That one looks uncomfortable to hold to me, and I am not sure about how well its locking would work. Looks good if it needs to fit in a narrow space. Remember that the Romans were clean shaven, so progress is in centuries not months. It is mainly a matter of figuring out what you want.
Pakistani knives are cute. They usually have soft steel and very careless workmanship, but I love camel bone and water buffalo horn handles. I have one in my pocket at the moment. Almost all Chinese knives I have have good steel. The best kitchen knives I have are un-branded, very simple East Asian style triangular shaped and say “molybdenum vanadium steel Taiwan” on them. Those two elements reduce the grain size, which makes the steel both harder and tougher, but are expensive. They also improve corrosion resistance.
Knives are usually stainless steel but not as corrosion resistant as other stainless steel objects. Nickle or too much chromium interferes with the heat treatability. Stainless steel is more abrasion resistant than rustable steel, such as tool steels, because of hard carbide inclusions that take some of the wear, but it is less hard in bulk, so it can’t hold as acute an edge.

I found the srm763 to be a bit smaller than I expected but like it nonetheless. The one you linked is the LB model with aluminium scales (handle). I prefer the GB variant which has G10 scales and it’s definitely lighter. The axis lock works really well. It’s a great little cutter!

The reason I am starting to think about this knife thing is when I started to take a closer look at this “ceramic knife” I got from a WB ‘instant kill’ promo of which I got one set as typing practice, probably no one else wanted it! Anyway, when I first read it was a ceramic knife I assumed it was ceramic-coated to make it more slippery. Taking a closer look today I can see that it’s entirely made of ceramic material, of which I was not aware of until now. What would be the selling point of a ceramic knife compared to what you guys are talking about? (of course I know a thing or two about tool steel, etc.)

The 763 is a great knife. And considering what it costs, it’s a no-brainer in my opinion. I have lots of higher end knives, and I still EDC the 763 sometimes.

Several advantages, will never rust or tarnish, feels more modern, lighter weight, range of bright colours avaliable (unlike Kuhn Rikon which are colourful but painted).

But don’t ever drop one or it will likely break. I personally prefer carbon steel and patination, and I like the metallic taste too!

In some countries it could be illegal too, to carry a folding knife that is non-metallic.

I EDC the 763 and it is a wonderful knife…especially for the money.

It is a knife worth buying ..When I first got it i thought hmmm...And now it's one of my favorites. I'd agree get the g10 ..because for me one of it's best features is it's so dang light . Very easy to carry .

Buy the G10 version of the Sanrenmu 763 .

You will like it .

i have been leaving my kershaw skyline at home lately and grabbing the ganzo g707 more often.

ill be honest, my most day to day knife use is opening boxes, or those blister packs with the occasional fabric, rubber, rope, meats… i dont go rambo and tie it on a stick and go spearing things so im not sure how good the blade lock it.
i put a new edge on it when i got it, and its holding good. and i have had it for quite some time now too
when i know i need to do heavy cutting, i usually use my leatherman wave and use the serrated blade fyi

edit: thats not my pic, just got it off google images

So, do you guys know of a place selling the GB-763 ?

Ceramic knives being harder are also alot harder to sharpen. But because of that trait, they hold their edges for a long time. Usually someone will sharpen with a diamond belted belt sander. You can sharpen on some more traditional methods, but it’d be very slow cutting.

A lot harder than, lets say stainless steel? Are there collectible ceramic knives too?

yes, very much harder than SS. and there are collectibles too.

I stopped going over to bladeforums several months ago, but here’s what I know. I never saw anyone obsessing over ceramic knives there. And if someone did obsess over ceramic knives, it would probably be a cook. Ceramic knives are cool, but it seems like you really get what you pay for. Kyoceras just seem a step above everything else (other cheapish brands). The majority of knife enthusiasts like folders and they’ll likely have some fixed blades, but not as many. There also aren’t any custom makers who make their own ceramic blades(that I know of) because it’s very difficult science to press a ceramic blade together.

A ceramic knife is a knife made out of very hard and tough ceramic, often zirconium dioxide (ZrO2; also known as zirconia). These knives are usually produced by dry pressing zirconia powder and firing them through solid-state sintering. The resultant blade is sharpened by grinding the edges with a diamond-dust-coated grinding wheel. Zirconia ranks 8.5 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, compared to 7.5 to 8 for hardened steel, and 10 for diamond. This very hard edge rarely needs sharpening.