Turning a SAiK SA-305 into a Fat Boy-T6 -Photo & Video intensive

I got the UV lens because that's the very cheapest camera filter I could find on eBay. $1.99 with free shipping. If I had found one totally clear for the same price at that moment, I would have gotten it. The glass in the camera filters is easy to remove. I've done it before. Actually, the UV coating can be removed easily.

As far as flood or throw, I would assume it will depend on the reflector. Since it's wide and short I would think I will end up with throw Flood. I will have to see if I can focus the LED with reflector travel, but I don't know how much travel I will have yet. If I keep the emitter on the star, not much room for adjustment, but if I take it off the star and use a small pedestal, more room for adjustment. That's going to be the fun of it, is figuring it all out from scratch and "making the parts I have work" and still have a nice mod when I am done.

I prefer flood, since my primary use is for checking smaller areas, like office rooms, lunchrooms, bathrooms, etc. (My current P7 light is great for that, but 3aaa does not give much runtime) I don't really need a thrower... But of course, as usual, if it comes out good, I will probably put it up for sale so I can afford to do another mod. That's how I usually do them, is sell them afterwards.

See POST #1 for new Info...

So Old, how is the light stock? Worth anything? Pretty bad? Is it an "impressive light" to give as a gift without modifying?

Anxiously awaiting the mod,
Garry

The emitter has such a bluish tint that it is totally not appealing. The reflector is SMO and it has a small center hot spot, but it's not focused. There are three ugly rings outside the spot (one is the "Cree ring") and the flood is washed out. Oficially, I would not recommend it without an emitter change and stippling the reflector with clearcoat. When I load the video, you will be able to see some of it.

I would say it was an attempt at a thrower, but it's so underpowered that the reflector isn't being utilized.

Edit: Think of a MagLite incan, but blue light & no beam adjustment. That's how bad it is.

I just took it outside (at work) and I have to say it's a thrower for sure. Close up it's useless, but at 30 yards it's got a 6' spot and at 40+ yards it's got an 8-10' spot. At 100 yards, it's too weak and does nothing for you. Hope that helps.

Post #2, The start of the build.

More photos in Post#2.

Next is finishing the heat sink and installing the emitter & circuit board. It's getting closer.

Watching this closely... you're doing nice work!

Rich

Finished making and fitting the heatsink. See Post #2

Excellent hacksaw and file work! I envy your patience. Can’t wait to see the rest of the process and final product. :slight_smile:

Daaaaayummm...! Even I wouldn't go thru that much to make a heatsink, even though the local hardware store provides a lot of plumbing parts. I take it there were no plumbing parts that fit?

I really like the blow-by-blow you're doing on this-nice job. I'm too lazy to take pics as I go, or I'm excited about the mod I'm doing and don't wanna take the time to shoot 'em.

Go ahead and stack more than one 7135 BTW... ~3.5 or so amps would give you a higher max mode.

Rich

Since my stroke, things like this build let me get away from life and let me be absorbed in the detail of the build. When I make a project like this and it works, then it makes me feel like I accomplished something, like I used to when I had a real job.

If the head ID had been smaller or of a different design, I might have used hardware store parts, but with the ID at right about 1-11/16" that's a hard thing to find, besides copper plumbing fittings are getting very expensive. I was thinking about making a light out of copper pipe with 3AA in a holder, but even a 1' piece of 1-1/4 copper pipe is like $12! I'm going to have to go to Electrical conduit I guessTongue Out...

I think this one will be with just the 2800mah board and leave it at that. Since I will need to sell it after, I don't want to push the emitter. If I were keeping it, then I would just add a couple of 7135 chips on the board. I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks everyone for watching the build...

New Video at the end of Post#2

New video at the bottom of post#2

Attaching the emitter, wiring it and reflector height adjustment.

Most of what I did today, I had to undo. Bad circuit board from DX. I didn't buy a second one, so I will have to run direct drive now. Put all the stock parts (springs, metal tabs, etc.) back in the tail switch and the battery holder. I don't need less resistance now!

Got the paint job done and it looks beautiful! Photos for another day.

Maybe I will have time to finish this on the week-end.

PM me your address and I'll send you a driver.

Thank you very much, but it's ok. I don't mind direct drive and I don't think it will be a problem with the emitter. With AA batts, it should level out fairly quickly and it's just one less link to fail later.

I was just bitchin to hear myself bitch. Favorite pastime of mine.Wink

Capisce.

See the bottom of POST #2 for photos of the paint. This week-end I will assemble and do beam shots.

the photos definitely don't do that paint justice - I did the cover of an air compressor I bought last summer with that stuff and was pleasantly surprised

See Post #3 for the end of the Story.

Then go buy it in the want to sell forum. Yes it's up for sale, so that I can afford to build something else.