Ultratac S20

Thanks for posting, I thought the switch was rubber from the photos, good to hear that it’s metal though. (so I can do my switch locating mod)

I’m surprised to hear it’s extremely easy to accidentally turn on, I thought the opposite because in the photos the switch appears to be recessed, plus the long hold to turn on, is it really 1 full second? (user manual shows .5 second).

Also can it be physically locked out by slight unscrew of the tail cap or head?

BTW, according to the user manual (See post #28 above) it does have last mode memory.

I purchased the light too , really like the size and fit and finish the UI on the other hand is not great very long press for on and off about 1.5 seconds

Actually it might be 0.5 seconds. While I’m not generally a fan of long press for on-off, this is about the least offensive version of that UI that I’ve seen since it is still pretty quick. I’d still rather have a D4’s instant on-off ui though.

The button is dome-shaped metal and it is not recessed at all. It protrudes above the surface of the light and will very easily turn-on in the pocket if not locked out. Not as easily as the Nitecore Concept 1, but pretty close. If you’re pocket-EDC’ing this light using some kind of lockout is essential.

Yes, you can also mechanically lockout the light by slightly rotating either the head or tail. The threads at both ends of the body tube are anodized.

One other note
The compartment for the star has a the head of a screw protruding into it. I didn’t try unscrewing it, but it might hold the switch in place. Only the top part of the head protrudes but it is enough you can’t just drop in another 16mm star.

The star the light comes with has a notch for this screw hole. If you want to put in a new emitter you can either reflow onto the stock copper star or you maybe spend a half hour with a needle-file (or 30 seconds with a Dremel) making an extra notch in your new star. On the upside, this screw does prevent the star from rotating when you tighten the bezel so no chance of breaking the driver wires.

Thanks, unfortunate about the dome shape switch as my switch locating mod pretty much requires a flat switch, but it may still be possible. OTOH if it sticks out that much I may not even need that mod! Good it can mechanically lockout.

I also prefer the “one click on / click again off” UI but I don’t really mind the opposite, because its also nice to be able to just “click through” the mode levels opposed to holding down to scroll through them. What I really hate is when they mix up the on/off, (as in “one click on / long press off”) :rage: I like both the on and off to be the same.

Dremeling a notch in the mcpcb shouldn’t be an issue, at least its not glued, thanks for the modding info. Still considering this one.

This seems like it could be candidate for my new EDC light.

It seems it has everything to protect from accidentally turn on in the pocket but it does not have magnetic tail right?

So if I got right “Battery compartment springs are a bit short. My sample did not work with flat tops due to this. Button-tops work fine.”

So if this torch does not have magnet inside maybe it could be modded with magnet in that tail cap and that would rise spring base a bit for better contact with flat tops?

Any modding of this flashlight?