Uniquefire HD005-3 or Sky Ray J58 or something else?

I’m thinking about getting a super-bright headlamp or bike light, to strap onto my snowboard helmet for night riding on unlit trails. I currently use velcro straps to attach a 1x18650 handheld light on my helmet, but one of these would probably be better, as long as I can figure out how to mount it.

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/uniquefire-hd0053-cree-xml-t6-led-3800lumen-3mode-bicycle-lightheadlight-p-12435

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/sky-ray-j58-xml-t6-led-bicycle-lightheadlight-steppless-brightness-control-18650-battery-pack-inlcuded-p-12224

Does anybody have either one of these, or have any opinions on them?

i have skyray… they used to call it skyray S6… it’s heavy and the mode is low=1 LED medium= 2 LEDS and high = 3 LEDS
which is not much brighter than using 2 LEDS…
but nevertheles it is bright… but the batteries won’t last long… especially if you go up in the colder places… 40 mins top

maybe the new one is using different driver…but i’m still sure it would still be heavy :slight_smile:

This one looks like a newer one with 4 LEDs and stepless brightness.
Looks pretty sweet.

Thanks Daylighter. Did you wear the battery pack outside your clothing? If I got one of these lights, I’d try to put the battery pack in a pocket on the inside of my jacket to keep it warm and hopefully lengthen the runtime.

How did you mount your light?

i used rubber from my old handle bar grip… it keep hold the light in place.( you can also used old inner tube )
no i didn’t put the battery inside my jacket… i put it in the front inside my front bike bag
similar to this one

Hello, quick test of Skyray J58, very powerful flashlight ! At the end of the video, I compare with my Skyray King.

http://youtu.be/Soe1HdYERbE

Thank you skapri. The J58 looks almost as bright as the Sky Ray King. Did you have both lights on maximum brightness in your video?

What is the beam pattern like for the J58? I want a gradual transition from spot to spill, because I don’t want to have to aim the spot precisely with my head as I’m snowboarding. I also want a little bit of throw for when I’m riding fast, but not at the expense of the gradual transition from spot to spill.

Also, where did you buy yours? The descriptions on Manafont, DX, and CNQualityGoods are all different. Different mode order, different max. output. What is your J58’s mode order, and does it have stepless brightness control?

Last question for now: do you see any easy way to mount it on a helmet?

I’ve got a couple of the cheap clones (single XML T6) and both of those (and all the others I’ve seen) have a threaded M4 screw holding them to the plastic mount. You might find a solution using that. I think GoPro use a 4mm mount but I could well be wrong on that one.

Personally, I really recommend a wide angle lens. It shortens throw but the flood is amazing. This video give you a good idea of just what it does to the budget lights:

The one I rode home on this evening down 5 miles of unlit trail stands me at £23 including lens upgrade and is very similar to the one in the vid. It even came with a headband mount I can fit over my helmet if needed.

Hello Peteybaby, I don't understand all what you say but I will try to answer ... The two lamps were at their maximum power on my video, the "Skyray J58" is not mine, it is the Skyray of my brother, I asked him to what ebay seller he bought it, I tell you that as soon as he replied.

Thanks Mr. Chimp. That M4 screw might lead to a solution.

Skapri, this is what I meant: The J58 (as well as most other lights) has a central "hot spot" that is brighter than the surrounding area "spill". On some lights, there is a sharp "edge" between the hot spot and the spill. If you graphed the light intensity of such a beam from left to right, it might look like this:

-----

- -

------ ------

But I prefer a beam that looks like this:

-----

----- -----

---- -----

2013 and I’ve just spotted my first ASCII Beam shot!! :bigsmile:

:) I've been using them for a while... I think I posted one or two before.

I think this kind of "beamshot" would be really useful if everybody could somehow standardize on a format and remove all subjectivity. e.g. if all flashlight mfrs provided a standard beam profile like this, it would let us choose lights without other forum members having to buy lights and take beamshots for us. :)

e.g.

Mini Mag:

-----

---- ----

Sky Ray King:

--------

-- --

-- --

-- --

-- --

-- --

--- ---