Video about tailcap reading and probes

Hi everyone! I made this video, with annotations (YouTube is being weird right now or I’d add them properly). Hopefully it’s self-explanatory for those with some prior knowledge. I test different kinds of probes and finally a tailcap reading.

Edit: Please see post #59 for more videos, and read the whole thread for lots of useful info!

Interesting, thanks. I am looking to buy my first multimeter and was considering a UNI-T from FastTech. Now I may just get one of the cheap ones from ebay…

Hi Chloe,

That's a really good looking video!

Nice set up, with almost no shadows and a clean white background.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, what kind of camera did you use? A camcorder, or a photo camera on camera mode? Webcam?

Thanks, ChibiM! I used my Canon S95 in video mode, with diffused sunlight for lighting.

Spaceboy, the yellow meter is a “DT-830D”. FastTech have these in black but I’m sure I only paid around £2 for it.

… was looking forward to your latest jpop rotation T.T

wow, that fasttech dt830b is the same one i bought in akiba years back ; pretty sure i only paid 400yen for it too… with the included probes it has 0.09ohm resistance like your measurements unfortunately, thanks for showing it has high internal resistance too TT

Thanks Chloe. It was interesting the difference in resistance between the different wiring. Edited to keep this post honest

Oh no! You cut live wires? :open_mouth: I hope the burns aren’t too bad and heal soon! Sounds like a really nasty shock.

Is the audio disabled in Japan? I think it might be in S. Korea because of the music. :frowning:

It is interesting also about internal resistance, because the Uni-T has higher even though it says zero (caused some problems when measuring current of the replacement Soshine charger I recently reviewed).

it’s not disabled, don’t worry! i’m enjoying your kpop taste as well :wink:

the internal resistance will probably depend on which mode you are using, the only way to be sure is to take a reading with a known current source [edit: wrong, see next post]

i found this discussion about using a low ohm resistor for tailcap readings useful however

he’s trolling the purity of your natural feline curiousity in the video annotation, just ignore him :bigsmile:

I apologise to anyone that took my above post seriously. Its just me be stupid again. One day I will learn.
As an aside note the audio worked fine here. My daughter said you have lovely nails and would love to try out some new crazy designs on them. The above post from me has been edited to keep it honest.

thanks for the tutor chloe.
where to buy those banana plugs?
currently I’m using single core 2.5 MM electric copper wire as the probes, but it’s kinda difficult to make contact to the meter plug :smiley:

Ahh cool! I have lots of J-pop too but it’s on my other computer.

I wanted to find such a resistor but I also wanted to make a test measuring resistance of tailcaps and switches. Maybe cut apart one UltraOK? I don’t know yet. :~

Very professional… Thanks…

It’s okay! I’m glad it works for you. Tell her thanks! I’d love it if she could! I’m a bit boring (usually clear coat or rarely, red/dark red).

Nice video, One thing I noticed when I first bought a MM was that I had no idea what to se the dials at or which plug to plug into and there were no video’s on youtube that really showed that part of it. It would be great to have a video that shows that part or has pop ups saying what you turned the dials to and which holes you used. I have it figured out now but I would bet that it would help a lot of people.

Thanks for the vid.

It’s a pain without plugs. You can try big screws in the mean time? To help push the wire against the sockets.

I got the plugs from Ebay (try searching for “4mm banana plug gold”), e.g.:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-20-x-Gold-Plated-Audio-Speaker-Wire-Cable-Banana-Plug-Connectors-Adapter-4mm-/111080481958

I don’t know how high they are rated though. Also since the screws are exposed it could be dangerous at high currents (use heatshrink or electric tape). But it’s handy being able to connect them together easily. The safety boot variety cost a lot more. :frowning:

I also made some more leads soldered with gold-plated ring connectors on one end for charger readings (these came from some RCA sockets from an old project so I don’t know if you can get them separately). This will be easier than crocodile clips and foil!

Thank you! I will add annotations for these as it varies too for each meter.

Just curious as to why you used the extra banana plugs, rather than plugging the leads directly into the meter?

Cheers

Loved it! Resistance is futile! But everywhere. :slight_smile:

I also didn’t trust the readings I was getting from my leads doing amperage testing, so I used the Romex house wiring and just doubled over the end so it’d plug into the meter. With these about 2” long it works great for amp readings. Yes, it’s a little difficult to get contact with the positioning required, but it’s the only way I get accurate readings.

Nice hands :wink:

Edit: By the way, I got mine from MRsDNF’s house while the power was out, no problem.