What did you mod today?

In my experience they are hard to not dedome right. Just slowly peel from corner.

Ouch !

The 2 i have dedomed, did come off exactly like shown in the pictures!
Good to hear yours still functions though

Thrunite Ti3 V2 w 519a 3000k and Pebbled Tir

album w more pics

Attempted slicing of a XHP50.2 today. Slicing went ok, although using a japanese kitchen knive might not have been the best choice. Very sharp = good, slightly curved = not ideal. I used two 1mm drills taped to the mcpcb as guide.

The main reason for this was that I really didn’t like the egg beam. So after slicing I put it back into the Astrolux FT03 it came from, expecting a massive improvement. Total failure on that front. It’s still by far the ugliest beam I’ve ever seen. And it’s impossible to get it properly centered. Seriously disliking this emitter/host combo.

Usually people also scrape away the excess phosphor around dies. Slice and dice is the term I have heard used.

Here’s some info

That’s quite a lot that can be taken away around as well :open_mouth:

Thanks, good detailed info! Got nothing to loose with this one, so taking it out again to remove more material. Even if it fails, it’s at least a good practice exercise.

I haven’t started to mod flashlights yet.I am just starting to learn. When I am ready though I want to mod my Mateminco MT70 plus. I want to change the driver so I can either put in a sbt90.2 or sfh55. Is there a driver that will work? What all is involved. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

@ Jimo:

Convoy has a 30mm driver for the SBT90.2 rated at 21 Amps IIRC. 2S or 4 (2S2P) cells. However, the store is closed and I can’t get the link.

It should fit within the MT70+ (same body as the MT70, much larger head).

Some ‘inspiration’ for future generations.

I think I diced a little bit too close. It looks like some blue is leaking out. And I can probably remove more from the top.

Update:
Don’t want to spam too many photos, but just tested it and it’s much better already. Going to remove more from the top before posting the final result.

Update 2:
Went too far (0.7 mm). Enjoyable experiment though!

I want to thank everyone who's ever posted in this thread .

The modding community on BLF has always been just amazing and I'm inspired every time I come here.

I agree!

This thread is a great opportunity to share info, and to learn from others. It inspires me as well. And the people in this thread are a great support system, with extremely helpful people contributing.

these, and many more, are all modded thanks to support I receive here on BLF

I can only join in the praise. The amount of knowledge in here is fantastic (goes for the whole forum!). And it encourages to try new things. Even if it ends in utter failure, there’s always someone with some advise or tips to learn and improve.

RGB Aux LEDs in FWAA :

What is that aux ring?? I really want one.

Yessss!

You madman! The flex PCB from OSHPark, I’m guessing? Looks incredible, though I’d dread wiring it.

And no reason a similar approach won’t work on countless other lights.

It’s a flex PCB, I shared it on Oshpark : OSH Park ~

But I don’t think the Attiny85 on the original driver has enough pins for RGB aux LEDs. Here I’m using a 6A buck driver I made for it : thefreeman's FWAA HDR 6A buck driver with RGB aux LEDs - Album on Imgur

Thanks. Yep good guess, wiring was OK using enamelled wires, much better than the thicker silicone wires, I’m never going to use those again, total waste of precious space. And yes I think the flex PCB wrapped around the MCPCB is quite versatile.

Thanks! I guess I need to learn how to design Oshpark PCBs. Is there specific software you use?

I use Kicad.