What did you mod today?

CRX, that’s Cute. :slight_smile:

Cute and unique :+1:

Yes… It is no logical that beam is larger than xp-l hi.

But this is nice:

Where did you bought stencil?

I will have to play with the thickness more.

I cut it out of mylar using a ‘craft’ cutting plotter and gerber2graphtec.

I need to figure out how to cut a whole 8.5x11” sheet of them so I can do a give-away.

jimF, I feel for you. I’ve been soldering on and off since I was about 10. As an adult, I’ve gotten a lot better at it, but there are often times where it feels like I’m soldering for the first time.

• A decent iron and tips are one of the things that really helped me, so good that you have that on the way.
  • One of the things you can do with a decent iron is turn it up when soldering to things that soak away heat quickly, like a copper MCPCB mounted in a light. ~20°C can make the difference between a thick, gloppy mess and a nice clean joint. Turn it down when you don’t need it that hot though, it’ll prolong the life of the tip.
  • Speaking of the tip, the ritual of cleaning and re-tinning it as you work really helps, especially when you are running it extra hot.
  • Good solder is also a huge help.
  • Tinning contacts and wires before making the joint also helps a lot. For example, tinning a brass pill before soldering the driver to it, or tinning the pads (actually, in this case, I do more than tin it, I make a little blob) on a MCPCB before mounting it on the light.
  • Extra flux really helps with rework, especially of older joints, but I often add a little before soldering leads I just tinned to a star I just tinned.

Unless there is something really odd about it, a replacement MCPCB for your jetbeam shouldn’t be too hard to arrange. Also, in general, DTP MCPCBs are pretty inexpensive. I rarely reuse old MCPCBs, and never if they are just non-DTP aluminum.

I put an Osram “White Flat” in my brand-new Olight M2X…
Now that’s a thrower ! Still not as powerful as my M3XS Black Flat but it DOES throw and is really compact :

Left before (XP-L HI), right after (White Flat).

Left M3XS Black Flat, right B158B White Flat

Your pics don’t show.

They showed earlier must be a permission thing he changed. I’m curious what the kcd numbers are for all of those. They all look pretty impressive (when the pics were up)

Should be ok now.
Sorry guys

:+1: freaking lasers

Beautiful pics. Could you please give us kcd numbers?

They would be estimations unfortunately, I still don’t have any luxmeter so I use the “ceiling bounce” android app.
I’ll do that soon

Success! My first official flashlight mod. My Presto liddle griddle showed up from Amazon today and used it to reflow 4000k XMLs into my Thrunite TN30. Always was disappointed in how the 6500K+ emitters in it make everything look like the surface of the moon when was out with with the dogs in the woods during winter. Now has a wonderful tint. Wouldn’t have been possible without AdventureSportFlashlight’s great instructional videos!

I put an OSRAM KW CSLNM1.TG – 1mm2 in a Maeerxu M8 and got 13,730 lux at 15 feet. Calculated throw would be around 930 meters. Measurements are from a Unit-T lux meter (cheap). It’s still impressive regardless of the lux meter.
I’m going to drop one in a Cometa this weekend. Bound to be enlightening. :partying_face:

Put an XPL-HI on the On The Road i3 (Zoomie)

Replaced emitters in my CW XML Thrunite TN31 and Nitecore P25 with 4000k emitters. Had a go at my NW Nitecore TM11 for a better tint, though after taking a look inside it was like “NOPE, not going there”…

I’ve never had a light from On The Road before, but I saw one that looked interesting and there was a lot of detail about it on their site. This is the X5 Pro. They offer it in Cool White and Warm White and the indications on their site are that the Warm White is an XM-L2 on an Aluminum Star, with the Cool White being an XP-L V6 on a copper DTP MCPCB. So I wrote to them and inquired, they assured me that the newer X5 Pro has the XP-L and copper board so I ordered one, in the Cool White to ensure I got the XP-L V6. Well, it arrived yesterday. With a label on the box stating OTRX5PROXPLU31A. Not the V6, but still encouraging. As soon as I removed it from the box I knew I’d been duped, the XM-L2 glaring out at me was on a non DTP Aluminum star. UGH!

We all know that isn’t really a big deal for me, but after asking specifically and being assured, you’d think they’d at least check, right? So yeah, I stuck an MTN 20mm copper dtp board in it with a Samsung LH351D. Even pulled the driver out and exchanged what looked like 24ga leads with 22ga.

An interesting thing about this light is the side mounted switch. It’s actually got a mechanical clicky mounted in the side of the pill section! Never saw that before. And it has micro USB charging with a 2A capability, although they only send a 1A charger. It DOES come with a 5000mAh 26650 though, and for some reason a single 26650 case, but not the indicated adapter to allow use of an 18650. Oh well, still a neat light. With an odd reflector. (a small like 20mm reflector at the emitter, then a wide flat, and then up to the larger reflector, like some oddball hybrid. Makes for an interesting beam profile.

I have to admit, the below 3D autocad drawing and animated breakdown got me…

And a pic of the reflector…

Weird reflector, I wonder what the line of thought was behind it

Yeah, me too. There was no clear picture of this on their site although knowing now what it is it can be seen in the head on shots. The beam profile is a hot spot with diffuse edges and then light spill, it actually works pretty decent. I can’t say I won’t be looking for a different reflector that fits but…

The X5 Pro is like a compact HD2010, or an even more compact Convoy L2, it fits the hand nice and promises regulated output with some premium components on board. Interesting, maybe somewhat on the pricey side, but all in all not so bad. Figure that it comes with a decent cell and a charger, the normal lanyard and spare o-rings, it’s still a pretty nice deal… more so on the present sales of course. (although they don’t discount it a lot)

They call the color Titanium, no way that it looks like RAW Ti but in fact it resembles the XinTD coloring so it IS different, albeit only slightly. SS bezel set’s it apart a little. I, uh, didn’t measure output on the XM-L2 but the manual says 720 lumens, the site says 1200 lumens, and I got 1003 with the Samsung LH351D in a W6 power bin 5000K in 70 CRI.

I was eyeing the OTR X5 Pro last night thinking it would be a great usb rechargeable host for the White Flat. Didn’t know it had a stepped reflector. Please post if you see a reflector that fits. Also would be nice to see some beamshots if possible. :slight_smile: