What did you recently fix for the very first time and may have used a DIY video?

YouTube is an amazing resource. There are so many handy reviews there as well as instructional videos. I can’t count how many times I’ve relied upon those videos to fix something that went wrong. Of course, there will be crappy videos, and even misleading ones. Sometimes a person creates a video for fixing something and leaves out a critical part, or has you go down a path that increases risk of breakage… or, even ends up being about a different model that has a slightly different order of assembly.

Anything you recently fixed using a YouTube video, or videos?

For me, it was a Braun electric shaver. I’ve been using them for several decades. With each model, things got better. More useful design. More powerful motor. More solid build. But like most electronics, there’s never total perfection. My Series-7 is a terrific shaver in almost every respect. The only thing I’ve always felt a little uneasy about is the trimmer. It is a good one, very strong, very useful. But Braun changed things from the previous model series, where the trimmer had been sliding component, instead of pivoting, and very robust in either running or off position. The Series-7 changed it whereby the trimmer would flip up on a small panel to extend the “trim teeth” further out from the shaver. It’s a minor advantage. I would have preferred if they kept the older design. Anyway, the trimmer being a moving part on a plastic frame with pivoting parts means it’s vulnerable to damage or disrepair. But the most common problem is that the two ends of internal springs can be, over time, coaxed out of their anchors… and the result is that the trimmer panel won’t rest fully flush to the body when retracted. The video I found did a pretty good job of describing how to fix this part. It’s not perfect and there are portions where the person moves the shaver out of view, causing the viewer to miss some details… and some things aren’t covered that would be helpful. But it was enough that I could do the job. And now my Series-7 shaver is back in normal, functional form with the trimmer laying flat. I’ve had this thing for 8 years, still on the original battery, and I expect it’ll last another 8 years!

Probably, but can’t immediately recall specific examples.

Washing machine heating element for a Miele which required some dismantling to get at the internals. Exact model wasn’t on YouTube but I watched 2 videos (one generic washing machine element replacement, one Miele opening/repair) which, between them, had enough similarities that I could figure it out.

Replacing headlights/ taillights, lawn tractor repairs, and repairing an aging clothes dryer. Repair Clinic website has their own videos, and they have saved me tons of money over the years.

I look up videos on most everything I mess with —- Gives me some insight on required tools, etc

I have to admit, sometimes people go about things the hard way in these videos — I had to change valve cover gaskets on my daughters Honda — every video showed to separate the throttle body from the intake — I just disconnected from the breather and saved that gasket and drama of those bolts on the bottom side

Besides lots of good watches on youtube — it’s sure scarce on the TV

Repairs are the main reason I use utube. Last one was replacing a pump on my dishwasher.

epoxied a weird watch band on a casio TOUGH SOLAR ILLUMINATOR

JB weld, was the epoxy

Ego garden tool 56V battery- a transistor commonly fails (shorts), which Youtube explains in detail. I’ve got the new transistor but need to replace it. Needless to say replacement 56V batteries aren’t cheap so replacing a transistor is a lot better option.

I replaced the license plate bulbs on my car without having to disassemble the entire tailgate which is the way the factory manual says to do it. I then replaced the map lights, both fairly easy. I use it a lot for 3D printing stuff too, upgrades etc.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of terrible utube vids. Watched one the other day where a guy put a lasor on a mitersaw and then prceeded to cut a like 4” piece of 2x4 with hie fingers inches from the blade.

I remember when you could spot the bad tutorials by looking at their downvote ratio. Those were the days…

Interesting brand. I look at them as a kind of “artful Bosch,” or a “upscale Bissell.” We have a Miele vacuum that cost a pretty penny, almost as much as a Dyson. But that thing is whisper quiet. Gorgeous design. Makes the Dyson look like a shop vac.

Huh. Epoxied, eh? One of those 2piece bands with a docking piece that attaches to the lugs? I don’t know how you’d use epoxy and avoid cracking from flexing, otherwise. CASIO used to have a resin-rot problem. Sometimes bezels and bands would just crumble for no apparent reason. And I thought they were long over it… until a GW2310 band just came apart after some minor water exposure. I’ve got some other CASIO watch bands that are super resilient, back form the late 1990’s and still going strong.

Yeah, I don’t like how the voting system works on YouTube these days. They just don’t seem to care how people game the system.

I’m 66 yrs. old:

— Changed a kitchen garbage disposal for the 1st time

— Assembled a heavy-duty motorcycle hitch carrier for my truck

— Opened an old (>70 yrs.) safe that a parent had inherited and later couldn’t get in to.

YouTube has saved me several times.

I don’t watch those kind of videos.
Issue I could read explanation in a few minutes is extended endlessly in those videos.
30 minutes wasted and no cigar.
Mike

this one:

^
Good video & info… :+1:

Most of my quality TV time is with YouTube :beer:

Recently it was replacing a Coil Pack on 2006 Town and Country van 3.8L.
There is a hidden 10 mm bolt under the power steering reservoir and you have to move out of the way to get the pack off the engine. Never would have seen it.
I am convinced this kind of crap is intentional by the factory to get you to bring it to the dealer.
Also replaced EGR valve on same vehicle.

Thank goodness for people sharing info on YouTube. Usually watch 2 or 3 different ones to get all the angles/info of what you are going to see when doing the repair.
Helps a lot even if they are not 100% correct or the item had a mid production change that would not be reflected in the video creators sample.

In the last couple years Also repaired a Speed Queen 432 washer (Last of the no computer control washer made in America, total Beast)
Whirlpool Side by side fridge Led lighting issue.
And rebuilt a Maytag dryer. All with help from the Mighty Ytube

Nothing feels better as a working man than fixing it yourself and saving Hundreds of dollars.
Thanks!

Keith

Toyota Camry head gasket; the best videos are from The Car Care Nut, a fellow who opened his own repair shop after working as Toyota dealership mechanic for many years and did many engine recall rebuilds.

His best tip to get long life from these engines—replace your oil at 5k intervals.

Sometimes if it’s just to see if you have all the right tools you need —- Avalanche Heater/Defroster damper control —— 5.5 mm socket