What is the smallest host that could drive a single 219B effectively at max output (3 to 4A)?

As a further question: outside of these parameters what is your favourite host for a 219b?

Depends on what you mean by effectively. Do you mean continuously maintaining 3A output? Or just able to hit 3 or 4A? A good 10440 on a FET can probably hit 3A…

Max output for 219b is 2amps

> what is your favourite host for a 219b?

Thrunite Ti3 AAA, with High CRI 219b 3000k 9080
that link shows how to mod your own…

This could be an interesting build, with one of wight’s 10mm FET drivers in a tiny host. I suppose I meant maintaining it for a decent, usable amount of time; such as a minute or so. I’d imagine if you ran a 10440 sized light at 3A it would start to complain very quickly!

Both Texas Ace and djozz would disagree, it seems 4A is the peak.

I was waiting for that comment .

“Both Texas Ace and djozz would disagree, it seems 4A is the peak.” Write a complain to Nichia engineers, im to lazy to explain.

Since when have we taken any notice of what the manufacturer states? :smiley: Overdriving LEDs is a staple of this forum!

Sure, but when forget about efficiency. Efficiency = mooorrr lumens . No efficiency no moorr lumens. So why to overdrive? Led overdriving is the same as pushing acceleration pedal but not shifting to higher gear.

You can gain over a 100 lumens between 2 and 3 amps. Don’t know if you will notice, but it is still a reasonable amount.

Human vision cant see difference in bright light changes same as in low. You will see noticeable brightness change jumping from 1 to 3 amps, but not really from 2 to 4. If you want mooorrr lumens use triple or more powerful led.

You’re moving the goalposts now Quadrupel: you stated max output is at 2A and that’s just incorrect. As for why I don’t consider a triple or more powerful LED: I prefer the beam profile of a single emitter in a reflector, and I like the tint of the 219B. I’m not asking about efficiency.

You are wrong and Quad is correct.

Absolute maximum forward current is listed as 1500 mA, and pulsed is 2000 mA.

219B datasheet

But i don’t care or have a horse in this race—run ’em at any current you want.

Who cares? The experimental data I linked above shows that maximum output is at 4A. Manufacturers list very conservative current limits, which for my purposes can be disregarded. In a similar vein, battery manufacturers such as Samsung state that their products should never be sold on their own to the end user but who listens to that?

Anyway I’m looking for a discussion about hosts, not whatever this is.

Probably you should care, because such tests aren’t really done with small hosts, but usually with big chunks of copper, which weight more than the entire flashlight, sometimes even with active cooling.

Some examples.

You’re right that the tests aren’t done in a flashlight, but the manufacturer isn’t testing in a flashlight either.

OK ignore the 219b bit, what’s the smallest host that could drive a mystery 3V LED at 3A for a sustained period?

Depends on environment temperature and host capability to radiate heat

What about Convoy T2 (T3) host and Convoy 17mm 2800ma driver?

I say Convoy L2 head will do the job :slight_smile:

If you don’t have anything constructive to add please stop posting quadrupel