What multimeter ? £7000 !!!!!!

so im after a multimeter for checking my 18650’s

Iv had a quick look at my generic electrical supplier which we have an account with and they range from £23 - £7000

What should I be looking out for ?

I don’t want to spend 7k and would prefer to keep it below £100


If you just want to check voltages you don’t need to spend too much. A cheap meter showing voltage to 2 decimal place is enough resolution. Does it have to be from RS? Company account? You could get a nice Fluke or Agilent.

From a modding point of view, something that can measure current up to 10A is good, continuity beep (some of the cheaper models don’t have this but it’s useful) and diode test. If you get a cheap meter you can make your own leads for tail cap measurements as the leads supplied are generally unsuitable for accurate current measurements unless you get a really good meter.

I bought an inexpensive one from B & Q - less than £10. Runs on a 9v battery, digital display, measures volts, amps, ohms, continuity and so on. If you just want to check cell voltages it’s just the job.

Thanks Chloe

That’s a massive help, yes it does have to be from RS as it’s on the business account

What would be deemed good Leads ?

I use this meter: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LCD-Digital-Multimeter-AC-DC-Ohm-VOLT-Meter-Voltmeter-Ohmmeter-Ammeter-Yellow-Back-Cover-freeshipping-dropshipping/489654690.html

$9 USD shipped. Does 10 amps.

Tested against the super expensive Fluke at work, usually 100% identical, sometimes .01 off.

-Jamie M.

For current measurement I use solid copper house wiring 2.5 or better mm2 It is a bit awkward to handle but once you get it bent the way you want, it tends to stay put. The stuff that 13A sockets are wired up with is fine (2.5mm2)and you only need a foot or so of it. Just double up the ends so they'll stay in the meter sockets and bare a bit at the other end for making contact with cell ends. You should be able to get an offcut from a sparkie or at work.

Keep current measuring leads as short as is practical.

Go for a Tektronix Agilent or Fluke within your budget, they won't be cheap but they should last you a lifetime. You really just need current, voltage and occasionally resistance. Continuity check is very nice to have. The sparkies round here seem to be getting Tektronix meters from their employers just now - it used to be all Flukes. Or if your employer disposes of them when they are out of calibration (As mine does)- see if they'll sell or give you a used one. You can get them recalibrated for not to too much. I'm assuming since there is an RS account involved, your employer does stuff with electricity.

Thanks for the help guys and gals

so I’ve narrowed it down to …

Agilent U1231A

Fluke 113

Why 7k ? You have seen a high-tech device for laboratory at this price ?

As a voltmeter the 7k device is not that good, but you will be hard pressed to find anything better for small currents. The 7k meter has a resolution of 0.0000000000000001A (0.0000000001uA or 0.0001pA) at the most sensitive range in both AC and DC current.

There is a review of the Agilent here. It beeps a lot from what I gather:

The Fluke 113 doesn’t have any current testing ability. It may be something you will want in future if not now.

I’d recommend the Fluke 117, which is what I have.

May be slightly more expensive than the 113 but has loads of other features.

I would look for a more universal DMM, that includes current ranges.

1232A is better, but is missing mA range: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-multimeters/7403529/

With 1233A you also get temperature.

All the Agilent has PC connection, if you buy the adapter.

Going to the 1240 series (1241b & 1242B) you get mA and a lot more, but it is considerable more expensive.

There is not really any reason to buy a calibration certificate.