Which Fancy Metal for your FWAA?

here are the weights with battery:
FWAA Cu: 91 grams
FWAA Ti: 67.1 grams
FWAA aluminum: 55.2 grams

so, I got the Cu FWAA w sst-20 4000k

I like the FWAA a lot, and the LEDs are not green tinted like a 219c, so am debating buying another SST-20 4000k

should I get a Shiny Ti, or Ti CU? lol

maybe Ti for the weight, but comparing aluminum weight and cost, and considering the heat disadvantage, i would say ‘Ti not worth it’

(same for my bicycles :slight_smile: )

Seems like I missed the fun, I’m for titanium + copper - good tail and glass drop protection and normal heat dissipation, but between the titanium tailcap and the copper part with the driver, I would put a standard aluminum case :blush:

I can say from experience that Titanium is tough to machine, 15% heavier than aluminum. I also have an aluminum bicycle and its plenty light enough for me. Copper is also difficult to machine and tarnishes quickly.

sounds like your wish could come true if you buy one of each and lego them… :partying_face:

however,
Aluminium :confounded:
is Not Fancy… no Bling!

Im loving my Fancy Cu FWAA with Fancy Sapphire Lens, and Fancy Glow:

Bling! Bling! Bling!

Dances with Bling!:

Nice photos, Jonathan.

I went with Copper as well for my FWAA. Seemed the logical choice, as the others like titanium and steel would be awful for heat management in this very tiny light.

Well, if only polished aluminum like a mirror or coated with nickel))

Yes, I remembered 1 problem with a combination of copper / steel / aluminum / titanium, I don’t remember exactly, but some of these metal pairs tend to diffuse into each other in a threaded contact, so it will be difficult to unscrew, need to lubricate often

This light is small enough and nice enough that I think a Timascus run would be viable.

2xAA in Beryllium/Copper alloy.
(one can dream right?)

TiCu as always but with 219B emitters

Ti Cu looks very nice… are you happy with the thermal properties?

Im loving my Cu Cu…
tempted to get a Ti Ti
then I could lego a Ti Cu and a Cu Ti Too (why be normal?)… :wink:

should I get shiny or sandblasted?… hmmm

Thermal properties…head will get hot fast like on CuCu but the rest of the body won’t. Thermal regulation then adjust brightness (just a tad faster than on CuCu but negligeable in real life).

Why TiCu? Front and back end of the flashlight will survive much more torture without being damaged where Cu driver section will absorb massive heat and also regulate it via driver much better than “it’s not that hot” full Ti. And it’s not so heavy as full Cu.

thanks for your thoughts
I set my Cu Cu to 40C thermal limit
not too hot to Hold on Turbo :slight_smile:

really like the smooth, predictable, heat spread on the Cu Cu

you make good points about the Ti being less likely to dent than Cu… a Ti bezel cant be bad… but I dont drop my lights, they get babied… and I dont use Turbo… Im happy with a 400 lumen ceiling (78/150)… I do not keep the stock 150/150 ceiling setting in Simple Mode.

the only Turbo access is from off in Advanced, and Im usually in Simple, set to 12 stepped modes…

I know your use is different, and you like Turbo… I dont like 4C lockout, so I set low ceilings instead.

fun lights, very versatile

When it comes to my copper lights, I always treat them with “kid gloves.” Very good about not dropping. I love the clean look of the fresh copper, but there’s also something nice about the mottled tarnished copper look. I cleaned up mine twice already and find this particular grade of copper tarnishes a little faster than my other long term owned copper light (an Olight i3e-Cu). The Astrolux A01 I have is coated, but I find that it develops some tarnish underneath.