Which XP-G2 for a Convoy S2 triple?

Hi guys, I am planning on building a Convoy S2 triple using a FET driver. Which XP-G2 emitters should I go with, S4, S3, or S2? Should I stay away from any of these because of a high Vf?

I haven’t had any issues running S4 2B triple on an aluminum spacer (S2) with a FET pulling over 6A (2A to each emitter). It’s wired parallel, XP-G2’s…

If you’re looking for more flood and a wall of light—Go XP-L HI —I just built a 5000k absolutely beautiful tint— V1 guppy for the driver—I used a v2 and wish I had gone v1 50% medium is a bit much for a S2
If you want more of a hotspot/slightly more throw go XP-G2
I personally like the 511 optic with the frosting polished off

Thanks for your input guys. I decided to try a triple Nichia 219C instead since Richard has a special sale on them. I guess I’ll need to figure out what driver to use since it looks like FET drivers aren’t recommended because of their low Vf.

I thought they would be good in a triple with a FET driver, just not a single emitter on a FET driver….

Oh okay good…I guess I’ll give it a try and report back. I’ll probably try a run-in-the-mill Sanyo first before trying it with a 25R to see how the 219Cs do.

Good call on the 219C. Should make for a very nice triple. Please keep us posted.

I don't understand why folks are saying the 219C can't take DD. I have a couple lights with them that are DD. They seem to be quite happy. Can someone point me to where it was determined the 219C shouldn't be DD'd?

With the hottest cells, the 219c might see the bad side of the output curve, according to Djozz' testing. 3.55vf @ 7amps, & falling output.

I’m not sure…but I thought I read people saying that Qlites should be used instead. I’ll have to go through the thread to see if I can find it.

I have also purchased triple 219c noctigon from Richard and was thinking to pair it with either LD-2 or A17DD driver.
Any reasons why this setup wouldn’t work?

IMO I think it’ll be a lot of work making mods necessary in order to keep the driver cool. I think using this driver with multiple LEDs is already tough enough, but with using it with these Nichias which have a really low Vf…it might be asking for trouble. I personally think using a 7135 based driver or a FET would be the safer/easier route.

I plan on having made full copper pill for S2+ for max heat dissipation (in that host anyway).
And I’m looking for driver with nice moonlight and low/mid modes, strobe, battery check and brightest
high possible while keeping light actually useful with reasonable runtime and no overheating (or
burning myself). Those two looked like they could fit the bill.

tristanxoxo wrote:
ImA4Wheelr wrote:

Good call on the 219C. Should make for a very nice triple. Please keep us posted.

I don’t understand why folks are saying the 219C can’t take DD. I have a couple lights with them that are DD. They seem to be quite happy. Can someone point me to where it was determined the 219C shouldn’t be DD’d?

I’m not sure…but I thought I read people saying that Qlites should be used instead. I’ll have to go through the thread to see if I can find it.

I wasn't trying to call you out. You don't need to look anything up. I've read comments along that line too. I think I know where they started. I think the Member was really just theorizing and others took it as fact.

My understanding is that the 219C can take so much amperage, that most (all?) cells voltage sag below a level that will blow the emitter. Maybe it isn't healthy for the emitters, but I find emitters tend to get obsolete way before they get any real mileage in a flashlight. As far as PWM creating high voltage pulses (due to lack of cell voltage sag) that could blow an emitter, I don't know any good intel on that. I'm not witnessing any problem with it in my lights. I have read about people experimenting with high voltages coupled with PWM to get emitters to new levels of output, but I don't know any details about that type of stuff though. I hear a lot of people making statements that sound factual. I would just like to see the facts if anyone is aware of them.

This.

219c

sub

The way I read it was that they would handle the current (amperage) but the voltage was over the vF, then they would dissipate the rest as heat instead of light until the volts fell… Unless you got over 7 amps above 3.55vF, then you may blow the emitter…

If the majority of the excess voltage is bled as heat, and the emitter is on a copper DTP, should be no issues… I have been running one in my Eagle Eye A6 which pulls about 3A at the tail in stock form… I also have on in a 1A current limited driver, both seem fine, both are on copper…

I am limited in any specific knowledge on these issues, so someone else feel free to correct me…

Once you get above 6.5amps (per emitter) the output actually starts decreasing. You will have less lumens at 7amps than you would at 6.5amps. The low Vf means that these high currents are attainable with a single cell vs Cree emitters that top-out well-under 6amps. A triple 219c may be more feasible though, because it is unlikely that a single cell will support 6.5amps to each emitter (19.5amps) for long. However, Dale did a quad that pulled over 20amps from an HE4.

Actually blowing the emitters is unlikely, Djozz ran them to 10amps and they never blew. You just get less lumens if you run them over 6.5amps.

And remember, the heat in a tiny S2+ is going to be ridiculous on a FET. A normal Fet-driven triple XP-L might pull 10 amps, a triple 219c could do close to double that, and double the heat. Get ready for short turbo-timers.

^

So how long does a single cell drive a 7amp load to a 219C?

Not very long!

But in a tube light, your hand would melt first.