Who builds computers

1-2 tb drive should be plenty

I can throw together a quick component list from Newegg, if you'd like, and others can critique and maybe get things narrowed down a bit.

Yea, I am sure a lot of advice can be offered. I would recommend a Intel Core i5 Ivey Bridge with 8-16gb RAM, SSD boot drive, 1 or 2TB storage drive and just use the built in graphics capability of the i5 as you don’t need gaming.

I have more than I need

5 tb's of internal storage (5 1tb drives)

Close to 7.5 tb's of external (2 2tb, 1 1.5tb, 1 1tb, 1 640gb, and 1 320gb HD's

I forgot my Mac computers

1tb on my iMac

500gb on my new Mac Mini

320gb on my old Mac Mini

100gb on my old Macbook

oh and my netbook has a 320gb HD

And I don't have an SSD yet!!

I should say glenn

list of what i bought for my PC
a pic

Edit: oh, by the way… that nzxt internal usb hub is JUNK… im still using my second and anything that requires data transfer is pretty much hit or miss on it. maybe they are on to a new revision now, but i dont think i will use it again. they now have these usb header 2 port adapters… that i will use next time, and deal with the wires to my other usb ports on the front

Who could forget plug and pray, MS-DOS 6.22, undelete, msav, 8MB of ram cost $400+!
I stayed with windows 3.11 for quite a while, it wasn’t till the next upgrade that I used 95 extensively.

Ok, back to the thread topic, this is what I built for my family (myself) about early/mid-2012:

Probably won't be suitable if you want to do a lot of video editing.

Total Cost: ~700AUD (does NOT include screen)

Case (incl. 350W PSU): Coolermaster RC343 (micro-ATX ONLY) $58

Motherboard: Asus M5A78-M LX PLUS $62

CPU: AMD FX-4170 (4.2GHz Quad-Core Quad-thread AM3+) $130

GFX: ATi HD7750 Core (Get one of the better branded boards) $90

RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB (1866 5-5-5-6) $60

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB $99

Optical: LG Blu-ray Combo $54

Networking: +

Monitor: +

Interface peripherals: +

So far I've upgraded with 16GB ram for video editing and added about 4TB of internal storage. I've also bought a USB3.0 PCI Card, you might wanna just get a mobo with USB3.0 support.

If you wanna video edit, go Intel. (But I pretty much just game.)
Despite what someone up there said, my AMD gets higher FPS in any game than any Intel i5 I've come across that costs >$100 more.

Don't burn the latest drivers to a disk, that's a waste of a disk. Just stick it on a thumb drive. If your mobo doesn't support USB natively from the get-go (ie. you should be able to boot from your USB device) then it's too old.

Ramblings, you don’t have any power problems with the 350W PSU?

This is way off topic, but the new 3570k at stock speed is around 1/3 faster in all benchmarks than the old Phenom II 955 overclocked to 3.95ghz. And the thing that finally pushed me over to the dark side, is disk throughput on the AMD chipsets flat out sucks. Z77 is nearly twice as fast as the AMD SB850 with the same SSD (tested with both Neutron GTX & Kingston HyperX), and I tried every possible driver/config combination to help it out... no dice. AMD(ATI) driver issues are a PITA, too. Random crashes, event logs full of errors there are no solutions for other than 'just be patient, maybe they'll fix it in the next release' (of course, they never do).

Here’s a few pics of my creation running slightly overclocked from stock 2.8Ghz to 4.2Ghz. The Prolimatech Megahalems heatsink is slighter larger than what you’d find in a typical flashlight, and does the job very nicely :smiley: and I listed a few of the specs below:

HAF-932 Case
Asus P6X58D LGA 1366
Corsair XMS 2GB DDR 1600
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750w Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1 GB DDR3 Video Card
Sanyo Denki San Ace Case Fans throughout (5)
DEMCi Flex Magnetic Fan Dust Filters x 4
Lamptron Digital Temp/Fan Controller

bought this mean machine setup from craigslist last year for just over a grand.

with 32 gigs of ram ,an ssd hard drive and a i7 processor (water cooled) it handles everything.

it was build by cybrpower http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ WITH MORE UPGRADES BY ME LATER ...

Case -AZZA Fusion 3000

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)

CPU: CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core i7-3770K, 3700 MHz (37 x 100)

RAM: DIMM2: Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C11 8GB DDR3 x4 total 32 gig

HDD: M4 2.5in SATA III Solid State Drive, 256GB ***BOOT DRIVE WITH WINDOWS 7 HOME***

-1TB VelociRaptor 10,000rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache FOR STORAGE

- 2 OLDER 250 GIGS HARD DISKS FOR ..I HAVE NO IDEA WHY

Optical-2 DVD BURNERS newer LG AND older SONY

Monitor- LG IPS231 (Digital) [23" LCD] (203NDNU4Q215)

Video Adapter -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE (1024 MB)

power supply-Gaming Series GS800 V2 Power Supply 800 watts

Nice looking desktop

yes its very fast . you can burn a movie and watch a movie and have 50 browsers open and do some video edditing all at once and itl run at 60 70 %

32 gigs of ram memory .i have 3 1 tera byte hd disks in there for storage . bought it to play crysis 2 .took me 2 months to finish . those 3 legged aliens kept killing me for a few weeks!

I’ve been avoiding this thread on purpose… I knew it would make me sad. My Desktop PC is a dinosaur. :frowning:

350W will absolutely be enough to run that setup.

BUT

It will be running the PSU near maximum capacity, which means hotter, which means shortened lifespan.

Take my word for it, buy a bigger PSU, and run it lighter. It’ll last you the life of the computer, instead of 6 months.

Yeah, cheap no name PSU’s won’t be able to run at 100% of their capacity for a long time, but brand names ones like Sea Sonic are fine at even 110-120%. Proportional to the price, I guess. :wink:

What’s your budget?

I see you’re from Ohio. There’s 3 Microcenters in Ohio. It’s the cheapest place to get CPU/Motherboard combo. I’d think you should get an Intel i5-3570k CPU for $190 and get $50 off any motherboard. If you wait until their next sale, the CPU might cost $170 and get $40 off any motherboard.

I got sick of replacing power supplies, so the last time I got an AX850.

Oh, BTW, I absolutely love, and highly recommend the Raidmax Smilodon case, but whatever you do, don’t get the version with power supply built in, it’s a pile of crap. Get your own power supply.

Yup, I probably am running my PSU pretty hot, (I'm actually assuming my PSU is 350W, it might be more but I doubt it) but it was included in the case, so when it dies, I'll get a proper one.