Who do you admire the most and why?

My Dad; Philippine Islands; Navy, PT boat. #2

Uncle, Army, tank commander, #2 and Korea.

Uncle, Army & Navy, #2 and Korea.

Uncle, Army Airborne, #2.

Part of the greatest generation and the reason we’re not saying heil hitler.

1 Thank

My Uncle was only 19 when he answered into this chaos and uncertainty. Mistakes by the people in charge cause the loss of many American lives.

This article is more focused on Normandy beach. Between Normandy Beach and Omaha Beach there were 175 men. 91 casualties.

That is 52% of them perished.

I visited that museum a few times in Fort Pierce Florida and saw my uncles name on a brick. The funny thing about that I was ready to give up, because there’s hundreds of bricks and my dad found it right before the entrance to the museum!

Salute

1 Thank

I admire my Mom, Dad, Brother, & Sister along with my maternal Grandmother & Grandfather. All for different reasons, but they had one thing in common… tenacity. All salt of the earth people who never quit. If they got knocked down by life they got right back up and carried on. They persevered!!

Also, being relatively new to BLF I have gone back & read many old threads. In this reading a couple of members have stood out to me.

One was Old Lumen. He seemed to really know what he was talking about. I have watched some videos he made also. It was sad to learn Old Lumen had passed away.

The other member that stood out to me was wolfdog1226. He stood out for different reasons than Old Lumen. I have no idea what happened to him as he has not posted in over 3 years. Maybe he died, or got banned, or just quit… I have no idea???
In reading many of his posts he seemed a bit of a controversial person. One who did not take anything he perceived as criticism (whether it was or not) well at all. It came across to me he was the type person that “had to be right”, wherher he was or not. Just what I picked up reading many of his posts??

BUT, the one thing I admire him for is how he jumped on the problems with the Opus charger & did not quit until he resolved it. He replaced the cooling fan & after much trial & error found what he considered the perfect fan upgrade. His workmanship looked kinda crappy… but it worked.
He also found a replacement power supply that worked much better than the original.
That was all very impressive even though his people skills came across as lacking in many cases.
Due to his work I was able to improve my old Opus charger.

I also admire Presidents Reagan & Trump, the two best we have had in my lifetime as far as I am concerned.

1 Thank

I have to add SB to this list
His tireless work on this site so we can all hang out and learn.
Never seems to loose his cool. :beers:

4 Thanks

@JenkinsMatti Regarding post # 26.

This Thread is about who you Admire, Not who you Admire and want to Criticise! Someone who doesn’t exist anymore!

Who cares about someone you don’t like. This Thread is about people you like and admire.

PLEASE. stay on topic.

On my solder blob thread you were also OFF TOPIC. You contributed Nothing to the thread except your opinion of what I called a sentence and what you call a paragraph. Nothing but Petty BS .

Zero contribution.

I ask you again, PLEASE. If you’re not able to stay on topic and contribute in a positive and grown up way, please don’t post on my threads.

Thank you

There is no one in particular who I admire. Most people have their moments, and occasionally even a Crowning Moment of Awesome… but most of the time, pretty much everyone is just a regular person trying to make sense of this weird existence.

2 Thanks

Well said. That’s a good attitude for mental and emotional health. Most of us humans aren’t exactly deserving of a Nobel prize, but we’re also not the epitome of evil, despite all of our foibles and weaknesses.

2 Thanks

Another salute to each of these brave sailors and soldiers!

My Dad, my Uncle and my Father in law … three great fighting Marines. Semper Fi.

My Uncle Ken.

Kenneth Ford, Marine Corps Ace, VMF-121 – The Jive Bomber

Salute as well to these brave Marines!

2 Thanks

Perhaps because the thread title is “Who do you admire the most and why?”, so people answered that question?

If the title was “Appreciation for my awesome dad and uncle”, people might talk more about that instead.

1 Thank

@Cochise334ever and @KnotSoMuch please stop replying to each other in this thread. Also please go back and remove the posts that were part of the argument. Thanks.

A better title for this thread would have been what kind of people do you admire?

For me it’s simple people. People who can look in the mirror and take a personal inventory and admit when they’re wrong. People who aren’t so narrow minded, adamant and focused on always being right. When there are many ways to look at things. People who give back to their Community etc etc

People who can say you know what you have a point but I still believe in this. Instead of me me me self-centered and self-centeredness self-centeredness. I know everything.

Lastly I’m grateful for the mute and ignore button. :+1: That saves wasted time and eliminates useless arguments…

Peace Out

Good Day Everyone

I would rather you just close my account!

2 Thanks

First, my Dad. Born in 1928 and named after the newly elected President he later almost died at 5 yrs old with Encephalitis. He recovered, unable to walk and talk, weighing a scant 20 lbs at five years old. He used an extreme grasp of logic to go on and become successful in the Lumber Yard he opened with one of his siblings in 1951. Pretty much built our town over the next 35 years. Retired in ‘83 after surviving kidney cancer and enjoyed his precious Domino’s and Rook to the age of 90, where cancer got his remaining kidney.

Dad was always a generous kind fair man, unshakeable. I got some of his creative talent but that logic of his… wish I had it!

SB has done well on this site, in a similar kind and generous style, equally unflappable. Toykeeper helped me many many times, I hacked together a LOT of lights but for the efforts of many people here, in the original family, it would never have been possible!

Kindness and generosity, admirable traits and so essential in this and all times.

Dale

1 Thank

^^^

Good story.

Your dad fought through a lot of adversity and led a long and productive life.

Granted that Dad DID recover after 5 and was quite smart (at 16 he got his first bicycle, took it COMPLETELY apart, even removed spokes from the wheels, reassembled it to a better more balanced bicycle to meet his expectations), one thing that stayed with him for life was a very unusual glitch to his vision. Both eyes functioned, just not simultaneously. When driving he would use his left eye for that side peripheral vision. His right? It would point at his nose and effectively “ turn off”. He could switch between them at will, the eye not in use would cross and quit. He was a little sensitive about but I don’t recall him ever making it a big deal.

In his late 60’s he had surgical correction such that they both aimed correctly, no more single crossed eye… but the optical nerve still ceased output on the non-use eye, you just had a harder time telling which one he was actually using!

OUR Herbert Hoover was a jokester with tricks… from riding a bicycle sitting on the handlebars and facing the wrong way to jumping over a broomstick while holding his toes… he was something else! ( try that, hold your toes and jump across a broomstick. He could jump back and forth and made it look easy! I never could.)

1 Thank

In Responce: I’m an OLd Man — The things I’ve learned and come to practice in my life-- If I don’t like a crowd or the things they do — I move on

1 Thank

Saladin, who spearheaded the Muslim military effort against the Christian Crusaders in the Levant in the late 12th century.

Today, 21st February 2023, my father would have had his 100th birthday.

2 Thanks