Why low numbers entering the O-L contest?

Nice. Looks like some healthy discussion has motivated 1-2 more to enter.

You hit the nail on the head, Dale. I’m glad you chimed in.

@Clemence if you’re still deciding which category can I make a suggestion? Go in the modified category if you have limited time to spend on the build. Most mods take less time than building.

As for the year round entries. I know I have suggested that in the past. Maybe it could be trialled?? But at the same time I do like the idea that the comp is a limited time. All the builds happen at once and hopefully motivate more people to have a go (or miss out when times up).

So I am always busy and this yr especially.
I started a water cooled flashlight mod that had to be put on hold due work constraints.
It is back on the operation table again after a few more parts are made.
It has been a while for me to be here on BLF because I could not finish this first mod.
But like a magnet we are back, still hooked for life.

I have a Question about this new category rules below.
Someone has a brand new flashlight and uses new but different than stock parts installed in it.
Will this satisfy the rules ?
This could be anything from a spring bypass, led DD, led swap, etc.
And if so I will enter this Category.

Modified Light Category:

This years bonus category!
Enter this category with a light you have modified.
You must show us a light that was modified by you and how it was done.
You can make a new thread or link to a mod you have posted on BLF within the stated timeframe.
The light can be modified by any means at your disposal and can also be some form of self built attachment.

Yes, I think those would qualify as ‘modded lights’. But the team would have to officially answer that.
Though just say for example - 15 people simply did an emitter swap - how would/could they judge one against the other when essentially it is the same thing/outcome? an emitter swap.
Ideally I would say there would have to be some sort of other ‘modding’ done to make them stand out from the crowd even if it were something cosmetic. :slight_smile:
Those are just my thoughts on it obviously lol!

Wow, Dale, that actually sounds JUST LIKE what Justin would say! I don’t have any doubt you two are communicating somehow! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yeah I suppose any mod qualifies really.
If lots of people do the exact same thing then it would come down to the finer details like documentation thoroughness, the technique used, neatness of the job, why it was done, before & after results etc.
Pictures & explanations go a long way as that is all we can see.
If 15 people did the same emitter swap it could come down to who cleaned up the flux or the dome and said so before reassembly :wink:

I voted “Doh, where do I enter?” just so I could see the results! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never build or modded a flashlight before (did do spring bypass if that counts), but I’m willing to give it a shot…

That’s the spirit.
Lots of people here are willing to offer guidance and asking if you need to is a good thing.

I think if the competition were open all year every year it would cause procrastination. There would essentially be no deadlines. Plus entries from 11 months prior will be old and stale, and the latest will be fresh. Just my thoughts.

Keep in mind one of the judging criteria is overcoming obstacles with the help of the BLF community. So if you don’t know how to do things, asking for help counts in your favor

I think we know what the next poll will be :smiley:

I don’t think it’s a good idea, open all year.
I believe the three month window is the best option.
Obviously everyone has optimum & different times for this stuff so everyone won’t be happy in all scenarios.

It is an event for BLF members by members of BLF, we are adapting as necessary and open to suggestions too though.

I wish i could participate but I dont feel like i have the skills. I dont know what driver would go with what LED and so on. It be nice if someone did a very basic build and showed us what we need to do that way we can build confidence. Also, tools, i dont know what i would need, what paste and so on and so on

How about winter this year, summer next year? Seems like a great compromise.

vestureofblood aka Matt Smith of Adventure Sport Flashlights does some very educational videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojTR8lmGZ7o

First we modded for more power, boy when the XML LEDs came out and we found out they could be direct driven off of the batteries of the time…
Then we wanted better tints and beam profiles …
Better and more modes came after that …
Just here lately we are demanding better color rendition…

As modders make better flashlights manufacturers are stepping up efforts to improve their own products…

Since this forum was founded flashlight technology has improved by leaps and bounds.

Because we helped make it so .

We will continue …

Reading. Hours of reading & searching. Then trying.
Learning something worthwhile will always take some effort.
There are a lot of builds on this forum ranging from simple to very complex.
Lists of modding gear, supplies, how to’s etc.

Some of the most documented how to threads are previous contest entries, have a look.

There is an archive of links to all the old threads kept in one place, partly why I made it, for this reason.
PinkPandas Light building tips:

Have an idea and search the modding forum, someone has done it or something similar most likely.
If you’re stuck, ask. These dudes are helpful.

I remember the days of thinking to myself that I would never bother to do a driver or emitter swap, look where that went… :smiley:
It doesn’t have to be perfect, perfection doesn’t exist in human terms.
Everything I’ve made has flaws of some sort.
Call it makers character :wink:

Most things I know about flashlights are learnt from people here, new things are picked up every day and still lots to learn from others.

We all start somewhere, the hardest part is deciding to just do it.

I won’t lie, there will be some heartbreak & frustrations along the way but your successes are an achievement only you can do and make you happy in ways like no other.

Remember passing your driving test, exams, cracking that contract at work… that sort of thing.
Only you can decide to do it.

I really don’t mod/build, don’t have the space/time to start, but really like seeing what people do.

I answered i’m not skilled enough - which is probably true, and doing anything significant would take me way too much time just gathering the parts and then trying to do something.

But somehow i don’t feel much motivation nowadays. Just a few years back if you’d want a real killer light there was no choice but modding or building one. But now… there are so many great and affordable lights of every kind that i’m not even sure what i’d like to build.

It doesn’t need to be classic style. I’m going off the reservation with this one. Check out my build and see if it gives you inspiration :slight_smile: