(Closed) Henk4U2’s third tit-for-tat Giveaway.

Some time ago I promised (myself) that for every light I win in a GAW, I’ll give away a light of my own. Isn’t that called tit-for-tat? So when I won a GAW on New Year’s Eve I immediately responded by saying that now it was my turn. A moment later reality kicked in: my old (Windows-XP) PC could not handle the new BLF site. After buying two new PC’s, a dispute over my property tax increase, and filling in my income tax statement, the time has finally come to keep my promise. If you’re questioning the size of this GAW: there are other platforms outside BLF with GAW’s but there is only one site where I give away one of my lights => BLF!
Catch: because shipping costs are going up, and my pockets are not getting any deeper, I’ll be putting all lights in a single GAW. I’ve divided them in categories. You can choose one light from each category.

===== AAA toolbox lights with 5mm led =====

1/ Livarno TL273 Zoomie. This keyring light was during a short period offered by Lidl, who runs discount supermarkets in several countries in Europe. The build quality is better than one might expect for the price of €2.99. It feels quite sturdy and has a reverse clicky switch. It comes with a manual and an AAA battery in the original blister. The blister is opened, to put in an AAA battery, of course.

2/ Varta Indestructible. Typical twisty one-mode cockroach light. Apart from the clip there is no metal anywhere on the outside. Just plastic and tough rubber. I can hardly resist the urge throwing it around, to see if/when it breaks. If you ask me, it is rather fugly too. It has a surprisingly high output for an AAA light with a 5mm led. You’ll get it, loaded with an AAA battery, in a surprise box.

======= Special AAA lights =======

1/ The Lumintop IYP365 with Nichia 219BT led and reverse tailswitch was intended to be a gift for the friend of my younger sister. Unfortunately the reason for giving it did not go through. Now I want it out of my sight. This Lumintop has an unusual feature, the three modes are: M-L-H. It is in perfect condition, with O-rings in the original small generic cardboard box. Word of warning: I’m sure the seller had the best intentions when he/she shipped it, but the box has stickers and sticky tape in all the wrong places.

2/ Sofirn C01S with a a blue body and a 445nm blue SST-20 B emitter. It gives quite a punch, I use a similar (albeit 18650) colored light when I’m in the garden looking for the (Kong) toys of my dog. It is almost as if you use a UV light. This twisty light is in perfect condition and comes with O-rings and manual in the original small generic cardboard box.

======= Compact lights with internal charging =======

1/ The XTAR T2 with XP-G2 S4 emitter is rated at 650 lumen, has a USB-C charging port, a side switch, and is powered by a non-removable 10380 LiION cell. The electronic lock-out is, considering the modest capacity of the cell, one of the best I know. This light comes with a tiny manual and a short USB-C charging cable in the original black metal box with window.

2/ My Skilhunt M150 with cool white XP-L2 HD emitter has a sideswitch and is powered by a removable 14500 LiION cell. It also runs on all sorts of AA sized batteries, but then you don’t get internal charging or the promised 750 lumen. The light is in perfect condition with O-rings, manual, short lanyard, and a magnetic charging cable with USB-connector in the original cardboard box. The magnetic charging cable has a minus, it’s proprietary (of course). The big plus is however that you’re not dealing with a rubber flap that tears off the first time you use it.

I seriously doubt if any of these two lights reaches the claimed output.

======= 18650 lights ========

1/ Jaxman M8 is a compact 18650 light with an XP-L emitter. It looks like a miniature version of the classic C8. In fact, the original name for it was Mini C8. BLF members reacted so enthusiastic on a review of the Mini C8, that Jaxman gave it a makeover and (re) launched it as the M8. Like the C8, it is a throwy light with a tail switch. Jaxman is known for its build quality but not for pushing the envelope, so the driver is a rather modest 6 x AMC7135 version of the well known Nanjg. That brings me to the (for me) big minus point of this light. The driver is soldered in the pill, and I don’t like soldered drivers. Especially if there is no room in the light to improvise a retaining ring. It comes with O-rings, a small lanyard, a manual and a bit of thread lube in a generic cardboard box.

2/ The Warsun MX900 is a C8 like light with a deeper reflector and has a tail- and a side switch. I swapped the Cree XM-L with an Osram SFH 4716AS 850nm IR emitter just to see if this would add something special to my walking tours. Well, the light works perfectly but sadly you need to strap a wildlife camera on your forehead to cherish the results (bummer). The results are quite impressive. IR led’s don’t like to be overdriven and this one is rated at 1.5A max. so I used a 2200 mAh Samsung ICR18650-22B. I measured, in combination with the standard buck-driver, initially 1.6A at the tailcap. This cell delivers enough energy to last over an hour on max, though the output decreases noticeably. You get 2 extension tubes with this light, that I’ve used with a XM-L, but not with the IR emitter. The overall build quality is good and the light is in (almost) perfect condition. Almost, because my (ex) neighbour wanted to test it. He returned it after performing a drop test, which resulted in an nasty ding on the tailcap. No accessories, just a generic lanyard.

======= mandatory 18650 light =======

Amutorch Yootoo SD2, a NIB 21700 light with an SST-20 (5000k) emitter. This light has rather unusual sized PCB’s, be it driver, switch or ledboard. At least from where I’m standing. So I bought two of them, to have fitting spare parts in case the mod went wrong. Since the mod went well without me destroying any critical parts I did not have to strip the second light for spare parts. There’s a first time for everything. Owning one modded Yootoo SD2 is enough for me, so here it is… as good as new with O-rings and a lanyard in the original generic cardboard box. Very simple UI: one click to cycle though L-M-H, double click for strobe.

========================================

All you have to do for a chance to win the five lights in my third tit-for-tat GAW is to be a BLF member before January 1st 2023 and use the magic words “I’m in”.

Entry is open open until May 28th 22:00h GMT (that is midnight local time for me). The following days I will compile a list of valid entries. If I get no comments on that list I’ll ask mr. Random to do his trick May 31st at midnight. After that, the lucky winner gets a full week to claim the prize, make a choice what lights he/she would like to receive, and what address to send it to. As always I include a packet of Fisherman’s Friend, in case you need an alibi for the tears in your eyes :wink:
Since this is my GAW, I’m allowed to alter, or make new, rules if the old ones lead to unclear situations. If that happens, or circumstances force me to swap one of the lights, I’ll explicitly put that in an EDIT. Correcting typo’s or adding pictures or links will be done implicitly.

Good Luck!!

6 Thanks

List of valid entries, from left to right.

serial number in random.org
number of post in this thread
login name

11 03 ch1ir
12 04 neo71665
13 05 xeroaura
14 06 Mandrake50
15 08 Lightweightled
16 09 XXX-Man
17 10 Swed
18 13 MashedPotatoJeff
19 14 Gunga
20 15 pashka79
21 16 SIGShooter
22 17 joechina
23 18 Coscar
24 19 PhT
25 20 Scallywag
26 22 davy_jones
27 23 horzuff
28 24 blueb8llz
29 25 Yokiamy
30 26 INeedMoreLumens
31 27 wle
32 28 mOOnshine
33 30 818nto
34 32 Umpi2000
35 33 Sirstinky
36 34 bushmaster
37 35 brad
38 37 xxo
39 38 YBF650
40 39 swhs

Wednesday May 31th 2023 at 22:00h GMT I’ll feed this list into random.org
Until then there is time to point me to errors in the above list, and I can correct the list.
You’ll notice the list doesn’t start at 1 because there were some concerns about random not being totally random.

2 Thanks

“Im in”

I’m in

I’m in.

I’m in.

Thanks for doing this!

Good show! But I pass, but thank you for the thought of doing a GAW

1 Thank

Amazing, thanks for the giveaway!
I’m in

I’m in!

Thank you for giveaway!

I’m in

That is awesome for you to do!

I’m not in it for this giveaway, good luck to everyone else :smile:

Thanks for the giveaway, Henk4U2!
(I’m not in this one.) :+1:

I’m in

I’m in

I’m in

I’m in…thanks

I’m in

Im in … thanks for the Giveaway!

I’m in

Thank you! I may have been here long enough to start a GAW of my own this year. It’s helpful to see the thought you put into the format.

Count me in.

Also, if I win, I will post a giveaway myself as a follow-up. I like your idea.