Wurkkos TS30S + monster LED SBT90.2 = $60 4750lm 1km SUPER-Thrower. Comparison w/ TS30S Pro & other lights incl. the :-) insane 13000 lm Nightwatch Valkyrie. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

I’ll check tomorrow if I have dark spot. I have definitely outter rings.

And I confirm this light gets hot real fast, really faster than my other lights. Tried TS30S pro and TS11 both on high. First gets hot while TS11 had barely time to get warm

OK, but the TS11 is making maybe 35 to 40% of the output of the TS30S Pro. SO I would expect it to get hotter faster. So what is your point? One is “better” than the other just based on heat production?
I am really just trying to understand what you are trying to have us understand about the lights? Maybe it is simply that one gets hotter than the other?

Thanks for your input as always. If I may add something that’s interesting. Regarding the “dark center,” I thought so too, except it is not dark. It’s actually the brightest spot in the beam.

I knew it was bright because during throw measurement, that’s where I measured and got 1200m throw.

Some OCD (kidding) person here once measured and analyzed different parts of the hotspot and spill, so today I decided to match his craziness :slightly_smiling_face:. From 6 meters out (my throw measurement setup), I could check brightness of center vs ring, and the center is always brighter, 3-10% brighter range due to my amateur method, but for sure never darker.

https://i.imgur.com/5Zhl5UQ.jpg

2 Thanks

Then I guess it is the color/tint that makes it “appear” darker. Whatever it is, the center certainly “appears” to be darker. Whatever the reason, the corona really stands out on this one. So regardless, between the optics and this LED, it makes the beam a bit ugly. To my eyes it is more of a blueish center and a yellowish corona. Likely variations in the LED (?) I don’t find it limits the utility of the light, but it gives us something to complain about… :smiling_imp:

What is the distance that you used to measure that gave you the conclusion that the center of the beam is the brightest? If the distance is too short, the intensity distribution of the beam is not representative of the beam in real-world distances. A poorly-focused beam can actually measure better than a well-focused one at close distances.

EDIT: I realized I did not read carefully enough, it’s 6 meters. That’s very short for a thrower of this class, one needs at least 10m if not 20 to get sensible numbers. At this distance my C8+ SFT40 measures more intense than the Osram WF1!

Also I think it needs to be clarified that the dark spot refers to the central region within the hotspot, much more inward than the “white outer ring” labeled in the photo. Also, the “white outer ring” should no longer exist at reasonable distances.

Oh pardon me - you’re talking about the very central dark spot. No, no such problem with this light.

What owners are complaining about is an unusually prominent white ring as shown in the picture below. It’s very obvious in real life at short distance. As distance increases, it’s less prominent especially when shining on “real life/nature” scenes and not against a white wall.

All my throwers with smooth reflectors show the same pattern. Just here, it’s more prominent.

1 Thank

Yes, TS30S pro gets hot really fast, faster than all other Wurkkos I have. I took a smaller light to compare with, because with such a big head I expected it to handle better temperature

1 Thank

BTW, it’s obvious that I’ve been somewhat critical of some aspects of the Pro, but as far as heat and step-down, IMHO it’s par for the course.

When you start at 4500 lm in an pocket-able light, it’s the law of physics that regulates, not me/us :slightly_smiling_face:. Below is the step-down curve for my other choice for SBT90.2, Convoy L8 (but didn’t buy because the head is huge, 26800 battery, and more expensive).

Even in this bigger light, step-down is significant. Turbo output starts @ 4800 lm, but by 2 min already down to 1500, and by 5 min 1000.

Where is Terry now that everyone is having all these problems? MIA

1 Thank

Yes, it would be real interesting to read what he has to say about the beam quality “issue/problem” that people have been commenting on.

1 Thank

You know what the sad part is: I dont think anyone at Wurrkos ever spent more than 5 minute testing the light or putting it through any quality controls.

It’s interesting to note that in retrospect I have captured this pattern of white ring and a faint colored center in several of my throwers.

It’s generally not noticeable because of its location, the hotspot, which is blinding. It’s only through photography, and squinting your eyes :slightly_smiling_face:, that it’s fairly obvious.

Nitecore has smooth reflector, but the other 2 lights have TIR optic.

I easily see it at distances form 15 to 100 meters… and maybe beyond. Easily seen on the fence at my property line 20 to 30 meters away.
Inside, white wall hunting, 1 to 3 meters, yeah it is too bright.
I am not sure if it is typical for this class of light. I do know that I never saw it mentioned for the original version of the TS30S. FWIW

As mentioned previously, it is not a huge deal to me, but it IS clearly visible on my version of the PRO.

I gotta say this out loud. I love the 60 dollar light. My Grandkids are so happy when we walk down the street with it. We don’t really notice the dark spots or the rings or whatever the problems everyone else sees. I’m glad I got mine. My 2 cents.

1 Thank

Terry is back. And he tested the light :

Thats not testing, its advertising.

2 Thanks

Just posted that they’re doing some event

I keep saying, for me the beam artifacts are not a big deal. Just posting what I see.
BTW, people keep saying $60 light. I sure didn’t get mine for that. IIRC it was just under $80 with tax and all. And I did get one of the coupon deals. Maybe I just missed the good sales, but you can’t get it for $60 today… AFAIK. But regardless it is a keeper. The beam quality… I wish I had never read about it here. It is just one of those things that, once noticed, it is way to easy to fixate on.

1 Thank

Lol - how true. Once seen can’t unsee. I find myself somewhat obsessed by the white ring, in OTHER lights. :man_facepalming: :slightly_smiling_face:

I think there is a Convoy L8 with SBT90.2 in my future, for curiosity’s sake. Started looking at beamshots like in this review on youtube. And lo and behold I see it there too, when he shines Convoy L8 and L7 on house on right side.

Any Convoy L8 owner here? I hope the white ring is not prominent?

Very interesting. All of the three lights show that pattern where the center of the hotspot “appears” dimmer than the outer edge. To varying amounts, but it is there.

1 Thank