【ツ】Wurkkos WK01/WK02 Sales Thread (US/DE codes available again)

Hello everyone,

Are you looking for a nice, versatile AAA penlight?

Do you prefer tailclicky over side switch?

Do you like HighCRI?

Good! Then this could catch your interest...

Wurkkos has relaunched their penlights and now introduces two great new products using Luminus SST-20 LEDs

... available in two tints of 6.500K 70CRI and 4.000K 95CRI (with limited availability for now) ...

... available as WK01 using one AAA battery or as WK02 using two AAA batteries ...

... available in multiple colors (4.000K 95CRI in black and desert tan only) - some colors may not be available in some warehouses ...

Specifications (based upon the 6.500K version):

❖ Emitter: 1x Luminus SST20 4.000K 95CRI (limited) or 6.500K 70CRI with a lifespan of 100.000 hours

Driver: Constant current circuit

❖ Switch: improved tailclicky switch

❖ Reflector: Aluminum alloy smooth reflector

❖ Lens: Toughened mineral glass lens

❖ Operating voltage: WK01: 1.0V – 1.5V / WK02: 1.8V – 3.0V

❖ Battery options: WK01: 1x AAA Alkaline 1.5V or 1x AAA NiMH/NiCd 1.2V / WK02: 2x AAA Alkaline 1.5V or 2x AAA NiMH/NiCd 1.2V

❖ Dimensions: WK01: 84mm (length) x 14mm (head diameter) / WK02: 128mm (length) x 14mm (head diameter)

❖ Weight (w/o battery): WK01: 16 grams / WK02: 20 grams

❖ Flashlight body: Aerospace grade 6061 grade aluminum alloy, CNC manufactured to hard-anodized to military grade specification type III, anti-abrasive finish to get solid built body, anticrash geometry and better heat exchange

❖ Reverse polarity protection to protect against improper battery installation

❖ Water resistance i.a.w. IP68 (underwater 2m)

❖ Comes in black, red or desert tan (brown)

As of 06/2021:

If you have any questions or comments, no matter if commercial or technical, please contact Wurkkos directly. Thank you for your understanding.

https://budgetlightforum.com/user/32168

https://budgetlightforum.com/user/38972

Here are my impressions of the Wurkkos WK01 and WK02 penlights. Many thanks to Mark Lee (Wurkkos) for sending me these two samples, both in desert tan with 4.000K 95CRI. Please excuse the poor picture quality as I made them quickly with my smartphone tonite.

Some facts about the UI and more:

• Yes, it is definitely a forward clicky, providing momentary modes for low, medium and high
  • There is no mode memory. Both lights always start at low mode.
  • The tailswitch is not too cushy. In fact, it's quite stiff and requires a good proportion of pushing. I like it very much as it prevents accidental (de-)activation. Tactile feeling is also very nice.
  • Mode spacing between low - medium - high is well done. However, a (hidden) firefly mode with 0.2 - 0.5lm would have suited great to these tiny lights.
  • Differences in brightness between modes of WK01 and WK02 are absolutely noticeable. While WK01 is more than bright enough on high mode, WK02 adds a good portion of light on top of it, getting noticeably warm on the head unit whereas WK01 remains cool.

Both lights come in small cardboard boxes, protected in bubble wrap. Included is the manual and two spare o-rings. Batteries are not included. Those who bought Sofirn's C01(S/R) will probably recognize the same cardboard box of Wurkkos's WK01.

Both lights seem to have an anti-reflection coated lens. The SST-20 4.000K 95CRI emitters are very well focused inside the reflectors. I did not find any artifacts in the beam. Well done!

Unlike stated in the manual, both lights do not have a detachable tailcap but a detachable head unit - just like Sofirn's C01(S/R) series. So, please excuse the false information in the manual. Threads are dry and not greased at all. However, screwing the head on/off goes gently. I used IKEA's rechargeable LADDA AAA batteries with 900mAh which are claimed to be Sanyo Eneloop Pro cells in disguise. These batteries fit in easily without any friction on the inner tube walls.

Left picture: Wurkkos WK01 (left) vs. Wurkkos WK02 (right) on low mode. WB: 4.000K / Right picture: Wurkkos WK01 (left) vs. Sofirn C01S (right) on low mode. WB: 4.000K

Wurkkos WK02 on low, medium and high mode, WB: 4.000K. (medium and high mode might be a bit overexposed but mode spacing looks real good) ;-)

Verdict and room for improvements

Both lights are made of good quality, providing more than enough light of a small penlight, having a fool-proof user interface with three well-spaced modes. The beam shape is very allround-like, being not too floody but giving a good piece of throw with enough spill to cover a wide area around the hotspot. The dark tan anodizing looks very nice even though I would not call it "desert tan" but simply "brown" as stated on the cardboard sticker. Both lights have excellently centered LEDs with no artifacts in the beam. Reflectors are dust-free and lenses are coated for better efficiency. The tint looks really pleasing to my eyes with a creamy white and barely any shift to greenish. The tail clicky switch has a fantastic tactile handling and will be great for those of you who like tactical and tacticool flashlights. I can recommend both lights to doctors, dentists, craftsmen, mechanics, policemen, firemen etc. but I would not recommend it for eye inspection as the low mode is way too bright for this kind of application.

Not a real issue at all but just a minor, cosmetical imperfection: The CNC machining or post processing of the head units might deserve a closer look as I found some small nicks on my two samples, see pictures below. Again, nothing serious at all as this can also be found on Sofirn's C01(S/R) lights, too. Moreover, the clip is slightly warped to one side, not being exactly in parallel to the tube - again, just a cosmetical imperfection for those being too nitpicking as me. After all, it will have no impact on the functionality of these nice lights. :-) Apart from this, both lights are well designed and assembled.

Thanks Lux-Perpetua!

1 question: does it work L-M-H or H-M-L?
Also, does it have memory ?
I may be interested in one of both, depending on the final price !

Same here.

I expect to receiving a sample of WK01 and WK02 today. I will check and tell you about my observations.

seems US Amazon warehouse update stock slower, DE and JP storehouse update already :face_with_monocle:

Would the WK01 work with a single 10440? :innocent:

Interested in the WK01 SST20 4000K 95CRI.

Is it modding-friendly? I still need small host for a UV-LED, and this WK02 seems perfect with that nice open tail clicky. So, I’m in if I can get to the LED.

Lux, once again a good job on the manual. I conclude from the UI description it’s even a forward-clicky. That’s something to advertize as there are not many FC-AAAs out there. Single-mode driver mod in order.

Thanks for your reply and I’ll be looking for your impressions on these :wink:

EDIT:
Are Lithium primaries not recommendable batteries for these? They are 1.5V.

As far as I am informed the answer is no. The driver is not specified for this voltage. However, I am not saying it will not work with 3.7V (Li-Ion) or 3.2V (LiPO4) batteries. But chances are very high that you risk killing driver and/or LED.

I will check with Mark if they used loctite glue to seal the flashlight's head. I hope you don't mind if I keep my samples "as is" and not try using torque on them. ;-)

Thanks a lot. You are right, it really reads like a forward clicky switch providing momentary mode. I will have a look onto the UI on my two samples tonite and report how it does.

You could be right about this. Lithium primary batteries (1.5V) as well as NiZn (Nickel-Zinc) batteries (1.6V) should both work with WK01 and WK02, too. Their voltage is quite similar compared to NiCd/NiMH or alkaleaks with 1.2V - 1.5V. However, these batteries are rather exotic, more expensive and - most important for NiZn rechargeables - they need a special charger. The ratings for these NiZn batteries are rather bad. This type of battery seems to be extremely sensitive to low voltages with only few charging cycles. One person even reported these are not useful for flashlights.

https://www.amazon.de/ANSMANN-Micro-NiZn-Akku-900mWh/dp/B00DVO17P4

I found some AAA lithium primaries but recent ratings are quite mixed and the price is quite unreasonable compared to cheap alkaleaks you can buy for EUR 1.99 (8pcs) at LIDL, ALDI or IKEA. ;-)

https://www.amazon.de/Energizer-Batterie-Lithium-Micro-4er-Packung/dp/B000NWFOY2

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/emmerich-industrial-fr03-micro-aaa-batterie-lithium-1100-mah-10-st-1763811.html

Anyway, thanks for the hint. I will check with Mark if these types of batteries are fully supported from Wurkkos's point of view.

I will be using some 1.2V AAA NiMH batteries branded with "LADDA", bought from IKEA for EUR 5.84 (4pcs). These batteries are claimed to be real Eneloop Pro LSD cells in disguise which are mostly sold for EUR 12-15 (4pcs).

Wow nice! I’m def going to get the double AAA in tan from US amazon when it comes out.

I posted my impressions of WK01 and WK02 in post #2.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback that I can share with Wurkkos.

So far so good :wink:

I am definitely interested in at least one of each! Not sure about the colour, but I’ll decide then :+1:

I hope to receiving the codes from Wurkkos any time soon. Currently, some stock still has to be released by Amazon until these items can be ordered from all three locations (US/JP/DE). I expect the discount to offer you a real competitive price.

I normally buy my stuff from AliExpress, but I’ll see which one suits me best!

Although I am not much of AAA lights, these caught my attention, so I hope this is a good bet :beer:
Thanks for your information and work on all!

And also for the clarification on the Lithium primaries batteries :+1:

One more thing:

Please note that the 4.000K version is really limited at this time. I'm not talking about hundreds of lights but more likely dozens of lights being available in the beginning. Originally, Wurkkos only wanted to sell the 6.500K 70CRI version but I asked them to also offer a less coldwhite HighCRI version to BLFers and TLFers. Eventually, they agreed to this request. Please regard it as a "test run" to see how it will sell. If the demand for 4.000K will keep on remaining high enough, chances are very good they will offer more of the 4.000K 95CRI version.

To any manufacturer making 1xAAA lights…

PLEASE INCLUDE A KEYCHAIN MOUNTING LOCATION

I cannot wrap my head around why lights like this WK01, Olight i3T and the Lumintop IYP07 would lack that simple feature which just seems like such an obvious inclusion for any light this small.

2 X AAA version is an exact replica of the sofirn SF02 body which is not a bad thing as I really like my SF02.

yeah simliar like SF02 and update with Constant current circuit and the touch feeling of the tail cap as well as a bit more output :crown:

Not a real issue at all but just a minor, cosmetical imperfection: The CNC machining or post processing of the head units might deserve a closer look as I found some small nicks on my two samples, see pictures below. Again, nothing serious at all as this can also be found on Sofirn’s C01(S/R) lights, too. Moreover, the clip is slightly warped to one side, not being exactly in parallel to the tube - again, just a cosmetical imperfection for those being too nitpicking as me. After all, it will have no impact on the functionality of these nice lights. :slight_smile: Apart from this, both lights are well designed and assembled.

[/quote]

Thank you Lux-Perpetua sharing so many nice photos and details.

we found this minor cosmetical imperfection too , and talked to the factory they said it is difficult to avoid, maybe many people will have such complaints, I am thinking about how to help avoid this problem in the next batch,