an Idea for using DTP Boards with OSRAM LEDs

71 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161
an Idea for using DTP Boards with OSRAM LEDs

Since Osram LEDs have the anode and the center pad connected together , it is not easy to use them with DTP Boards in a flashlight

so I though of making a driver for Osram leds where the polarities are reversed , The outer ring of the driver is positive and the center of the driver is negative
(the battery needs to be inserted in the flashlight upside down)

by doing that the body of the flashlight will become postive and that will enable using Direct Thermal path with osram leds
then you can push the led harder and get MORE power while keeping the LED cool

What do you think my friends ? Big Smile

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7777
Location: SC

Seems like a great idea.  Many handheld laser units are positive to the body.  I don't know why flashlights went negative to the body.  Maybe it was for safety.  Cells seem to all have negative charged cases.  If the body is positive and there is a short from the cell case to the flashlight body, the cell will be direct shorted when the switch is clicked on. 

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

You would need to rewire the full driver, the AMCs dont like positive on the ground fin

But using kapton tape on the bottom of the star should be enough
Or a host with anodized shelf

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

In fact with protected cell the risk of a short to the battery gets lower, as the thin metal strip from the minus gets on most to the top

Unprotected cells I double or triple heat shrink so they fit better

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MscpbYDW

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

Hey, that is really nice, Lexel Cool , this type of board could make me use the Black Flat again. Is an inverted BLF-A6 driver possible as well?, and if a LFPAK56-FET does not fit, a LFPAK33-FET may? (only if you like doing it of course).

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany
djozz wrote:
Hey, that is really nice, Lexel Cool , this type of board could make me use the Black Flat again. Is an inverted BLF-A6 driver possible as well?, and if a LFPAK56-FET does not fit, a LFPAK33-FET may? (only if you like doing it of course).

I am not sure if the 6 AMCs on back side will fit a pills retaining wing, maybe some grinding is needed or soldering the driver to it

I did it as Triple channel Bistro/Narsil

LFPAK33 driver

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/QqGEvoTS

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

That is very quick Lexel, thanks! Are all 8 7135 chips in parallel or is this a triple channel driver with one 7135 with its own channel? It is relevant because I would like to simply transfer the components (except the FET) of a BLF-A6 driver to this board and make that work directly (I can not do anything related to flashing firmware myself).

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany
djozz wrote:
That is very quick Lexel, thanks! Are all 8 7135 chips in parallel or is this a triple channel driver with one 7135 with its own channel? It is relevant because I would like to simply transfer the components (except the FET) of a BLF-A6 driver to this board and make that work directly (I can not do anything related to flashing firmware myself).

I made the board for Tripledown layout

the first I posted had the pins not as the A6

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam
Lexel wrote:
djozz wrote:
That is very quick Lexel, thanks! Are all 8 7135 chips in parallel or is this a triple channel driver with one 7135 with its own channel? It is relevant because I would like to simply transfer the components (except the FET) of a BLF-A6 driver to this board and make that work directly (I can not do anything related to flashing firmware myself).

I made the board for Tripledown layout

the first I posted had the pins not as the A6


Ok, then I will have to find me someone to add firmware.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161

Lexel wrote:
In fact with protected cell the risk of a short to the battery gets lower, as the thin metal strip from the minus gets on most to the top

Unprotected cells I double or triple heat shrink so they fit better

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MscpbYDW

Thank you Soooo much Lexel, you saved me alot of time and effort because I was learning to use Eagle in the past 2 days
so far this is my progress FacepalmCrying

I have many Nanjg 105D Drivers, like this one

Can I install their Components on your Driver ?
if not, Could you share the Needed Components for the Driver Please, or even a Nanjg 105D .sch file would be Greatly Appreciated

Thanks Smile

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 6151
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

I’m subbin’ this one! CrownThumbs Up

Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.
-Ayn Rand

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

thulfiqar wrote:
Lexel wrote:
In fact with protected cell the risk of a short to the battery gets lower, as the thin metal strip from the minus gets on most to the top

Unprotected cells I double or triple heat shrink so they fit better

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MscpbYDW

Thank you Soooo much Lexel, you saved me alot of time and effort because I was learning to use Eagle in the past 2 days
so far this is my progress FacepalmCrying

I have many Nanjg 105D Drivers, like this one

Can I install their Components on your Driver ?
if not, Could you share the Needed Components for the Driver Please, or even a Nanjg 105D .sch file would be Greatly Appreciated

Thanks Smile

105D driver should work with Tripledown layout, same pin for the 7x AMCs
R5, C1 and C2 are to filter voltage spikes from the MCU, at least R5 you have to bridge or equip with 4.7Ohm resistor

djozz wrote:
Lexel wrote:
djozz wrote:
That is very quick Lexel, thanks! Are all 8 7135 chips in parallel or is this a triple channel driver with one 7135 with its own channel? It is relevant because I would like to simply transfer the components (except the FET) of a BLF-A6 driver to this board and make that work directly (I can not do anything related to flashing firmware myself).

I made the board for Tripledown layout

the first I posted had the pins not as the A6


Ok, then I will have to find me someone to add firmware.

I made a Fet+ n 7135 one, should be pin compatible to A6
Pin 4 FET pin 5 AMCs

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MSr9VRbY

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

That is wonderful Lexel, if built up one-sided I can even use 2 chips and have up to 700mA regulated (mode spacing with A6-firmware should not be too bad)! I ordered 3, will check them out, and report here.

I’m not sure if I’m a rare exception: can solder very well but can’t do computer stuff. For this board I can just rob all components off a common BLF-A6 board (or BLF X5/X6 board) and that is all there is to it. Smile

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

I just realized that the Fet +n has wrong pinout compared to A6

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161

it happens .
we will wait your fixed Version

Thanks for the Updates Lexel

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

I fixed the Fet+ n 7135 one, should be pin compatible to A6 now

Pin 6 FET pin 5 AMCs

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MSr9VRbY

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161

Many thanks lexel, helpful as always Thumbs UpSmile

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

Good that you noticed the mistake, ordered again Smile
Luckily Oshpark is dead cheap for these little boards…

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161

will the OSRAM 4715AS handle a reversed BLF a6 Driver (Like lexel’s) on a DTP Board ?

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

thulfiqar wrote:
will the OSRAM 4715AS handle a reversed BLF a6 Driver (Like lexel’s) on a DTP Board ?

Not sure, I guess it is safer to go for the 8×7135 version above without FET.

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161

I started with 2000ma , Then 3000ma , Now FET
GREED LOL

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

thulfiqar wrote:
I started with 2000ma , Then 3000ma , Now FET
GREED LOL

In that case:go for it! Party

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

4715AS wont survive a FET, this is a IR LED with a forward voltage way below our white LEDs

2-3A on DTP should be possible, but FET would go >10A and boom

Black flats should work with FET

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany
djozz wrote:
Good that you noticed the mistake, ordered again Smile Luckily Oshpark is dead cheap for these little boards…

you could still cut one trace and do 2 thin wires to rewire PWM pins

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

Lexel wrote:
4715AS wont survive a FET, this is a IR LED with a forward voltage way below our white LEDs

2-3A on DTP should be possible, but FET would go >10A and boom

Black flats should work with FET


A quick look on the datasheet mentions a Vf well above 3V, so this may be one of those 2xseries-die leds?

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

datasheet shows 3A at 3.8V this may work, but could still fry the tiny 1mm² emitter that has 9K/W thermal resistance

even our white XPL LEDs don’t like to be driven at much higher than double rated current

thulfiqar
thulfiqar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 49 min ago
Joined: 04/10/2016 - 09:06
Posts: 161

Lexel wrote:
datasheet shows 3A at 3.8V this may work, but could still fry the tiny 1mm² emitter that has 9K/W thermal resistance

even our white XPL LEDs don’t like to be driven at much higher than double rated current

Gea2427
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2017 - 21:00
Posts: 65
Location: Las vegas

Has anyone received and put one of these together yet? Looking to use an osram flat black just wondering if anybody has done this combo with one of these boards yet

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 13337
Location: Amsterdam

I have ordered them but have not received them yet. Perhaps folks in the US have them sooner than me?

link to djozz tests 

“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.”   (Gus Speth)

Gea2427
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2017 - 21:00
Posts: 65
Location: Las vegas

So does anyone know if this is this an inverted copy of a blf a6 driver? Can I just remove all components from the a6 driver and put them on this board?

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 4153
Location: Germany

The board uses another FET size

The AMC only one is compatible to Convoy or 105 drivers

Pages