How trustworthy are Sofirn batteries?

147 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 113
How trustworthy are Sofirn batteries?

I’ve been looking to expand my stockpile of rechargeable batteries, but most of the popularly-recommended options (e.g. Illumn) cost a painful amount to ship to my country.
I noticed that Sofirn has quite a presence in this community, and that they’ve also got an assortment of batteries for sale in their AliExpress store. The ones I’m most interested in are their protected 2800 mAh 18650 and their protected 3400 mAh 18650.

Some Sofirn flashlights come with the 2800 variant, and although none of the flashlight reviews I read thoroughly tested the battery, the capacity was found to be accurate and the weight was not suspiciously low. However, I haven’t seen much written on the 3400 variant, which appears to be a newer offering based on the number of orders on AliExpress.

Has anyone had any experience with their 18650 batteries, putting them through prolonged use or testing?
The only reviews I’ve been able to find are for other types such as their AA, AAA, or 14500 batteries.

ValuseekeR
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2012 - 13:18
Posts: 244
Location: USA

I’ve been really happy with my Sofirn lights and haven’t had any issues with the supplied 2800 and 3000 mAh batteries I received with them. I’m not a battery reviewer/tester, but they seem to function as rated.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 590
Location: Miami, Florida

Where do you live?

Is buying cells made by the Big 5: Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG and Samsung, such a financial hardship for you, wherever you live, that you’d take some no name brand over them?

Things can’t be that bad, can they?

To confess, I just bought my first TrustFire cells from FastTech, but they’re the newish red/gold 16340s that Henrik has tested on his site, so I felt better going in.

Generally two issues—the first being a safety issue and the second just being one of longevity. Most anything will work for a few dozen cycles.

Chris

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 47 sec ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 113

I suppose it’s just a matter of scale – if I was ordering a good number of $10 cells from Illumn for example, then shipping costs starting around $20 wouldn’t be such a bitter pill to swallow.
It’s just a bit tougher when I’m only looking for a couple/few batteries; I was hoping there might be an acceptable alternative I could try out so I don’t overspend on this hobby from the get-go.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 590
Location: Miami, Florida
Serlite wrote:
I suppose it’s just a matter of scale – if I was ordering a good number of $10 cells from Illumn for example, then shipping costs starting around $20 wouldn’t be such a bitter pill to swallow. It’s just a bit tougher when I’m only looking for a couple/few batteries; I was hoping there might be an acceptable alternative I could try out so I don’t overspend on this hobby from the get-go.

I guess it is what it is and only you can assign a ‘value’ to what you’re buying?

I just bought a Victorinox Ranger SAK off of Ebay and the guy wanted $6+ shipping, which was fine. He’s also been selling the bigger SwissChamp for more money, but a couple of dollars less for shipping, even though it’s a heavier item—both can fit in a small packet, or flat rate box.

Oh well…

Chris

wstrachan
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2016 - 02:30
Posts: 630

My only experience with sofirn cells are one supplied with their lights and they have performed well.

light addict....yeah I've got the bug.

Atrolux MF02_O2S
Imalent DT70
Emissar (All Models)
Lumintop ODL20C
Wuben A21 & T70
thrunite tn32 ut
acebeam k60
many, many others...

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3159
Location: US

JasonWW tested the 21700 Sofirn in the C8F and it performs well. I think I recall someone said the Sofirn 3000mah or 2800mah battery might be a rewrapped Samsung/Sony.

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 387
Location: Melbourne, Australia

14500 discharged 855mAh on Li500, happy with that.
Ordered SP33 with 26650 kit to test that. Getting a load tester in 11.11sale to test both A & mAh
21700 & AA NiMh on a separate order

jch10400
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 41 min ago
Joined: 07/28/2016 - 06:38
Posts: 234
Location: California

Same comments as you’ve already seen – I’ve received a few Sofirn batteries when buying a “flashlight and battery” package and those batteries perform as expected and test to capacity in my Lii-500 charger.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 days ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

ChrisGarrett wrote:
Where do you live?

Is buying cells made by the Big 5: Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG and Samsung, such a financial hardship for you, wherever you live, that you’d take some no name brand over them?

Things can’t be that bad, can they?

To confess, I just bought my first TrustFire cells from FastTech, but they’re the newish red/gold 16340s that Henrik has tested on his site, so I felt better going in.

Generally two issues—the first being a safety issue and the second just being one of longevity. Most anything will work for a few dozen cycles.

Chris

I have about 10+ Trustfire flame batteries still working, from year 2010/2011. Smile I use them for my lasers, XP-Gs and XM-Ls.

They need to be legit Trustfure cells though.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1458
Location: Manila, Philippines

I’ll also comment on the Sofirn 4000mAh flat-top 21700 which is correct capacity and has good IR. (I can only buy Sofirn battery with their flashlight [AliExpress — I’m in Asia], as they do not ship bare batteries to my country… although just very recently some Sofirn batteries from AliExpress seem to be “shippable” to my country now, but I have yet to test that option, it has some shipping fee, and the item description for the battery seems to indicate that they are still not definitely sure if batteries can be shipped to some countries…

For the other Sofirn 3000mAh 18650 (also bought as flashlight+battery kit), I previously tested their Sofirn 3000mAh (on the label) which turns out to be around 2800+ mAh only (despite the 3000mAh label). The IR measurement is definitely not as good as Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6.

On a more recent Sofirn 3000mAh 18650 (also bundled with Sofirn flashlight battery kit), I tested the battery to now be 3000mAh. IR is still not the same as 30Q or VTC6.

The blue-black Sofirn 2800mAh 18650 (also bundled with Sofirn flashlight battery kit), these are correct at around 2800mAh, and they are protected 18650s (trip at around 6 amps).

I’ve also tried the Sofirn 900mAh 14500 (bundled with Sofirn flashlight), ordered in 2 or more separate occasions, they register around 850mAh capacity. The earlier Sofirn 14500s are shorter button-tops, while the more recent Sofirn 14500 are about as tall as other brands button-top 14500s (unprotected).

TheAuditor
Online
Last seen: 8 sec ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 06:33
Posts: 373
Location: United Kingdom

I just got the new SP33 which came with a 5500mah 26650 battery. I can’t find out much about the specs of this battery. Has anyone tested it or can point me in the right direction?

Bonum commune communitatis.

Yarp.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 352
Location: New Zealand

Sofirn 3000mAh 7A

These 18650’s tested to be very good cells up to 7A continuous discharge current.

Equipment used – West Mountain Radio CBA lV

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 352
Location: New Zealand
TheAuditor wrote:
I just got the new SP33 which came with a 5500mah 26650 battery. I can’t find out much about the specs of this battery. Has anyone tested it or can point me in the right direction?

Sofirn’s datasheet specify the capacity as 5000mAh. Buyers have shown tests of approx 4700mAh

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 352
Location: New Zealand
Sillen wrote:
14500 discharged 855mAh on Li500, happy with that. Ordered SP33 with 26650 kit to test that. Getting a load tester in 11.11sale to test both A & mAh 21700 & AA NiMh on a separate order

What tester did you get? I used the Lii-500 until learning it wasn’t testing properly on every cell. It gives a rough approximation.

I recently received the West Mountain Radio – CBA IV and it’s excellent.

I used to think my Samsung INR18650-30Q’s were fake on the Lii-500 as it was reading 2840mAh at 500mA discharge. Tried it on the CBA and it’s 3027mAh at 600mA & 2968mAh at 10A. Big difference

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 387
Location: Melbourne, Australia
JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11765
Location: Houston Texas
Funtastic wrote:
TheAuditor wrote:
I just got the new SP33 which came with a 5500mah 26650 battery. I can’t find out much about the specs of this battery. Has anyone tested it or can point me in the right direction?

Sofirn’s datasheet specify the capacity as 5000mAh. Buyers have shown tests of approx 4700mAh


This also what I’ve heard. They are also not high drain cells. Just generic middle of the road cells.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11765
Location: Houston Texas

SKV89 wrote:
JasonWW tested the 21700 Sofirn in the C8F and it performs well. I think I recall someone said the Sofirn 3000mah or 2800mah battery might be a rewrapped Samsung/Sony.

Yes, their 4000mah 21700 is really top notch and high drain.

I don’t know much about their 18650 cells, but they are definitely not rewrapped name brand units.

Their black 3000mah 18650 seems to be really good. It’s a high drain cell “close” to a Samsung 30Q, but not one. DB Custom got really high output and amps from it.

So I only know about their black 3000mah, black 4000mah and black 26650. All the other versions I don’t know anything about except they are low cost.

Illumn is mainly a USA seller. What country are you in? Have you checked with NKON? Do Banggood or Gearbest ship to your country?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 352
Location: New Zealand

Here is a test at 5A for the Sofirn 3000mAh (Black), Panasonic NCR18650GA (Red), Samsung INR18650-30Q (Pink)

As you can see the Sofirn performs almost equal to the GA.

Chart1

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Funtastic wrote:
Here is a test at 5A for the Sofirn 3000mAh (Black), Panasonic NCR18650GA (Red), Samsung INR18650-30Q (Purple)

As you can see the Sofirn performs almost equal to the GA.


Interesting, thanks Funtastic. . Thumbs Up

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11765
Location: Houston Texas

Funtastic wrote:
Here is a test at 5A for the Sofirn 3000mAh (Black), Panasonic NCR18650GA (Red), Samsung INR18650-30Q (Pink)

As you can see the Sofirn performs almost equal to the GA.


That is more voltage sag than I expected. So not quite as good as a 30Q. I wonder if it is still the same battery that DB Custom tested almost a year ago.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 29 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3331
Location: USA, Michigan
SKV89 wrote:
JasonWW tested the 21700 Sofirn in the C8F and it performs well. I think I recall someone said the Sofirn 3000mah or 2800mah battery might be a rewrapped Samsung/Sony.

I have 4 of the Sofirn 21700’s and although they seem to be decent cells, they under perform. Fully charged, I put one in my FF E07 and turbo mode didn’t seem that great. Put a Samsung 30Q in, and turbo was noticeably brighter. In other words, they can’t handle the amp draw. Tried with all 4 of the 21700’s, same result. They act like a 10A cell. Ordered some Samsung 30T’s for the E07 instead.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 352
Location: New Zealand

In my next order of Sofirn lights I’ll get some 21700’s and 26650’s for testing and upload the graphs.

I may just start my own thread showing results for

14500 900mAh
18650 2800mAh PCB
18650 3000mAh
21700
26650

That should help those who are on the fence about getting them bundled with their lights.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4107
Location: Portugal

I use the 14500 batteries of Sofirn and never had a problem. Capacity is as advertised (900mAh, measured several times), but I guess they are not High-drain cells (at least not as EFEST)! Also note that they are shorter than other 14500s!

[REVIEWS] AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// XTAR: PB2 Charger /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// SKILHUNT: M150

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2 /// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

GIVEAWAY: 1

teacher
teacher's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2016 - 19:04
Posts: 9596
Location: NE & SW Alabama

Funtastic wrote:
In my next order of Sofirn lights I’ll get some 21700’s and 26650’s for testing and upload the graphs.

I may just start my own thread showing results for

14500 900mAh
18650 2800mAh PCB
18650 3000mAh
21700
26650

That should help those who are on the fence about getting them bundled with their lights.

Have you got a link to your thread, I can’t find it. My bad, I misread. Facepalm

That is a great idea!! Keep us posted if you do start your own thread.

You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him up to a heavy load./"Bear" Bryant 

 .................................. "Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast" ...................................

       Texas Lumens Flashlights / M4D M4X Deals : sign up - save $$$$  

         Rudeness Level _ mΩ _ {width:70%} _ LightWiki _ LED Tint Chart  

      Xlamp size chart _ BatteryU _ Flashaholic? Need Professional Help???            TheOriginal _ TAB _ LightSearch _ BatterySearch _ 14500's _ DiCal 

 

                                             

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11765
Location: Houston Texas
RobertB wrote:
SKV89 wrote:
JasonWW tested the 21700 Sofirn in the C8F and it performs well. I think I recall someone said the Sofirn 3000mah or 2800mah battery might be a rewrapped Samsung/Sony.

I have 4 of the Sofirn 21700’s and although they seem to be decent cells, they under perform. Fully charged, I put one in my FF E07 and turbo mode didn’t seem that great. Put a Samsung 30Q in, and turbo was noticeably brighter. In other words, they can’t handle the amp draw. Tried with all 4 of the 21700’s, same result. They act like a 10A cell. Ordered some Samsung 30T’s for the E07 instead.


Some actual numbers might help.

They blew away the 30Q in my C8F. 11.5A and 3330lm compared to the 30Q’s 9A and 2900lm. The 30T performed about the same as the Sofirn 4000mah with 11.5A and 1160lm. (The 30T should show its extra muscle at higher amp draws)

I just don’t see how it’s possible a 30Q could actually outperform the Sofirn 21700.

What is the amperage range of the E07?

Also, what is a “10A cell”?

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

Brainsick67
Brainsick67's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 06/09/2018 - 18:53
Posts: 328
Location: United States

They are good to me..tested like 4 of the 3000mAh ones, and they ALL came to 3,000mAh or a tad more.

I'm ThatCrazyFlashaholic 67

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11765
Location: Houston Texas

Brainsick67 wrote:
They are good to me..tested like 4 of the 3000mAh ones, and they ALL came to 3,000mAh or a tad more.

Capacity is just one aspect of the battery. The black 18650 3000mah have always been accurate for capacity. It seems to be a bit lacking as far as internal resistance and voltage sag, though. It looks like the 30Q definitely beats it in those regards.

Back when DB tested them the performance was so close to a 30Q he thought that’s what they were, just rewrapped. Their amp draw and output matched the 30Q exactly. The one tested above shows a bit below the 30Q at least as far as a 5A load is concerned. I’m wondering if Sofirn switched to a different battery or a different chemical mix in the last 6 months or so.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

cyclops
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 01/17/2013 - 16:33
Posts: 121
Location: USA

I found one interesting thing when charging the 21700. If I use a Samsung Quick Charger (micro USB), then the cell charges to more than 4.5v!!! I tried it with the supplied kit charger and also with an Xstar MC1 ANT. However if I use a non quick charge (slower) microusb charger, then the cell charges correctly to 4.2v. I hope thee is no major damage done to my battery with one off excess charge!

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 11765
Location: Houston Texas

cyclops wrote:
I found one interesting thing when charging the 21700. If I use a Samsung Quick Charger (micro USB), then the cell charges to more than 4.5v!!! I tried it with the supplied kit charger and also with an Xstar MC1 ANT. However if I use a non quick charge (slower) microusb charger, then the cell charges correctly to 4.2v. I hope thee is no major damage done to my battery with one off excess charge!

Whaaaat? The chargers are supposed to be designed to terminate at 4.2 volts. I’m not sure how a battery can cause an overcharge. Undercharge, yeah, but not overcharge. Sounds freaky. Silly

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

cyclops
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 01/17/2013 - 16:33
Posts: 121
Location: USA
JasonWW wrote:
cyclops wrote:
I found one interesting thing when charging the 21700. If I use a Samsung Quick Charger (micro USB), then the cell charges to more than 4.5v!!! I tried it with the supplied kit charger and also with an Xstar MC1 ANT. However if I use a non quick charge (slower) microusb charger, then the cell charges correctly to 4.2v. I hope thee is no major damage done to my battery with one off excess charge!
Whaaaat? The chargers are supposed to be designed to terminate at 4.2 volts. I’m not sure how a battery can cause an overcharge. Undercharge, yeah, but not overcharge. Sounds freaky. Silly

Yes, even I was a bit puzzled by that. I dont think its an issue with the battery, probably these MC1 types chargers are not smart enough and the Samsung Quick Charge Adapter messes up their calculations and it overcharges the battery. I could replicate it but I dont want to do that as I am afraid that it’ll damage the cell.

Pages