Mac's Mods: Micro "Mac"-Light

40 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA
Mac's Mods: Micro "Mac"-Light

Meet my newest creation...

Micro "Mac"-light

My Micro "Mac"-light, a single 14500 driven minimag based on Match's simple emitter mod with a shortened battery tube to avoid using a dummy battery and to make a truly pocketable Maglite at only 3.6" (91.4mm) long.

This baby is driven by a 3500mA 5-mode driver putting current to a T6-1A emitter and out of a Carclo TIR lens. Since this is just my first quick prototype, it is running out of a standard P60 pill but is fully heatsinked with arctic silver, tightly wrapped in aluminum foil for a snug press fit into the head. The head where the pill goes has a thin layer of arctic silver as well. Heat conducts through the head wonderfully and, as you can imagine, will get very hot of left on high. Future builds will have solid slug aluminum heatsinks.

This is a floody light and with 800+ lumens OTF it will light up the whole back yard and even lights up a tree line at least 100yds from my house. Solid modes are spaced at 10%>45%>100% plus a fast strobe and perfect SOS (not sure how to remove them from this driver or if it's even possible).

This new light is my baby and I'm mighty proud of it! Solid in the hand with all the clean lines and reliability of the Maglite, it just feels special in your hand. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when I tightened up all the parts for the first time and everything fit as planned and worked even better!

Now that I have all the tools needed for this mod I am ready to make more, both for myself and anyone else that is interested and can't do it themselves. Here are the rest of my pics for you to check out and hopefully enjoy as much as I enjoyed making it. Wink

Comparison shot

Length shot

Front view
Edited by: JohnnyMac on 01/04/2012 - 14:44
jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4879
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

WOW . Excellent work  .Cool

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty? I have a couple match modded mini mags my KD XML drop in one with 2 14500s is my favorite. Great job.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

E1320 wrote:

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty? I have a couple match modded mini mags my KD XML drop in one with 2 14500s is my favorite. Great job.

Thanks! What drop-in did you use? I can't find a 2.8A+ multi-mode driver in 17mm that takes 8.4V to save my butt. I went the bobbed route because I hated having a dummy battery (and because it's just looks cool).
JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

E1320 wrote:

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty?

The trick is cutting down the body and retapping the threads.
E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

JohnnyMac wrote:

E1320 wrote:

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty?

The trick is cutting down the body and retapping the threads.

I was tempted to cut one down and JB Weld the end on, since you can load the batteries through the front once the match mod is done. I can't find the right size tap. What size tap do you use?

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

E1320 wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

E1320 wrote:

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty?

The trick is cutting down the body and retapping the threads.

I was tempted to cut one down and JB Weld the end on, since you can load the batteries through the front once the match mod is done. I can't find the right size tap. What size tap do you use?

It took me quite a while to find out what the size and threading is on those. It's a very non-standard British type, 5/8-28G (50 degree pitch), however, a standard 5/8-28 (60 degree pitch) works nicely.
E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

JohnnyMac wrote:

E1320 wrote:

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty? I have a couple match modded mini mags my KD XML drop in one with 2 14500s is my favorite. Great job.

Thanks! What drop-in did you use? I can't find a 2.8A+ multi-mode driver in 17mm that takes 8.4V to save my butt. I went the bobbed route because I hated having a dummy battery (and because it's just looks cool).

I can't find a multi mode either, so I use the single mode ones.

I bought a couple of these for weapon mount lights.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11106

The single mode U2 works, also but it's not any brighter with 14500s.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11249

I have a single mode XML I got from DX that works with 2 Duraloops, it has an oddball driver that will run down to 0 volts. I tried to get more but they changed the driver.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-xml-t6-1-mode-6700k-450-lumen-smooth-a...

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

JohnnyMac wrote:

E1320 wrote:

JohnnyMac wrote:

E1320 wrote:

I have so many mini mags it's ridicules, what is the trick to making a shorty?

The trick is cutting down the body and retapping the threads.

I was tempted to cut one down and JB Weld the end on, since you can load the batteries through the front once the match mod is done. I can't find the right size tap. What size tap do you use?

It took me quite a while to find out what the size and threading is on those. It's a very non-standard British type, 5/8-28G (50 degree pitch), however, a standard 5/8-28 (60 degree pitch) works nicely.

I have a bazillion taps at work and none of them fit perfect this explains why. Thanks

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

Davx
Davx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 03/17/2011 - 20:29
Posts: 910
Location: Italy

Great work. A real "mini" pocket rocket!

"There are always new jobs, women, and apartments......there is only ONE BLF." - Chicago X (27/03/2012)

ZW99GT
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 6 days ago
Joined: 06/08/2011 - 10:52
Posts: 202
Location: DFW
Excellent work! I can't decide if I like the exterior (shortened) look of it the most, or the specs of what's inside and what it's capable of! Are you taking orders, lol? paypal can be on the way pre-build for materials Wink
JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

ZW99GT wrote:
Excellent work! I can't decide if I like the exterior (shortened) look of it the most, or the specs of what's inside and what it's capable of! Are you taking orders, lol? paypal can be on the way pre-build for materials ;)
PM me and let me know what you are intersted in. I can give you a list of options I can put together. As much or as little as you like. Johnny
jamesearljonesi...
jamesearljonesisascab's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/16/2011 - 00:02
Posts: 1034
Location: US

Amazing job Johnny! im sure you can sell lots of these. 

03/04/16 

 

8 lives left

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

Very nice work, JohnnyMac...  That looks like it turned out pretty well!  By looking at the front, I'm guessing you used the 20mm TIR narrow? If you don't like the looks of the square-ish beam and artifacts, try a frosted wide lens....I'm really digging those.

How many twists of the top head are you able to retain?

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

Match wrote:

Very nice work, JohnnyMac...  That looks like it turned out pretty well!  By looking at the front, I'm guessing you used the 20mm TIR narrow? If you don't like the looks of the square-ish beam and artifacts, try a frosted wide lens....I'm really digging those.

How many twists of the top head are you able to retain?

Thanks, Match! I don't care for the square beam much. This is my first TIR lens, are they all like that due to the square emitter? Outside you don't notice it, just indoors. How much light is lost OTF with the frosted?

As for twists, not sure, I don't have it on me at the moment but I will check. The o-ring is well within the head and I have had no issues at all. I will be testing the stock reflector with an xm-l shortly. With an xr-e it works great. Real nice beam and shorter, I think, than the single TIR lens. Added benefit is you can keep the original lens for good water proofing.

Match
Match's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2010 - 11:57
Posts: 1488
Location: South Carolina, USA

Johnny,

  Ya, agreed on the square-ish looking beam....not my favorite.  However, the Frosted narrow mellows this out a bit, and the frosted wide completely eliminates it. Testing a TIR against a reflector back to back in the same host is something I haven't done yet, but from what I have done I'd say light loss is a tad more than what is spec'd on their website.  10% would probably be close... more so with the frosted, and less so with the clear.  Despite that, the frosted wide is one of my favorites, and gives an amazing flood with an xm-l.  Impressive and usefull enough that I need to build myself another now (the origional was given away...probably still stuck in Canadian post).

Again, good job on a very clean and functional mod! Btw, are you using IMR 14500's?

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

Match wrote:

Johnny,

  Ya, agreed on the square-ish looking beam....not my favorite.  However, the Frosted narrow mellows this out a bit, and the frosted wide completely eliminates it. Testing a TIR against a reflector back to back in the same host is something I haven't done yet, but from what I have done I'd say light loss is a tad more than what is spec'd on their website.  10% would probably be close... more so with the frosted, and less so with the clear.  Despite that, the frosted wide is one of my favorites, and gives an amazing flood with an xm-l.  Impressive and usefull enough that I need to build myself another now (the origional was given away...probably still stuck in Canadian post).

Again, good job on a very clean and functional mod! Btw, are you using IMR 14500's?

Thanks again, Match! I will probably give a frosted wide a shot. I like floody lights and the XM-L's have so much output that they still throw in spite of the lens. As to batteries, no IMR's...just regular 14500 trustfires. I don't run it on high long enough to get the battery hot but there is definitely a stronger output when the battery is fresh. I usually use it on low or medium. High is just silly. Silly

I have some new drivers enroute to my place that I will be testing with the XM-L emitters. Overall output won't be as high but I think with the XM-L I can get 1.2A-1.4A and 5-modes off of two 14500 cells. Will make the minimags a run for hours light and still put out 500ish lumens. I'll let you know how they work out for me. Let's see if I can find a link for you...

ZW99GT
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 6 days ago
Joined: 06/08/2011 - 10:52
Posts: 202
Location: DFW
Sent you a pm over johnnymac
JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

PM answered Wink

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

Whipped up a sweet little custom holster for the Micro-Mag last night. 

holster 1

holster 2

monanoke
monanoke's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 05/21/2011 - 20:19
Posts: 190
Location: East Texas

+1 :bigsmile:

C

jacktheclipper
jacktheclipper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2010 - 21:18
Posts: 4879
Location: Florida , U.S.A.

Excellent .

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

I finally took some ceiling bounce and beam shots last night.  Here are the results. These pics were taken with a point & shoot digital camera with auto white balance turned off and the ISO set to 100. I have no control over shutter speed so I can't tell you what it was set to for the pics.

This first picture is the control shot...

This first set of pictures are ceiling bounce shots to show the amount of light put out. 

The first shot is my custom 3D Cell Maglite sporting an XM-L T6 driven at 3A by 12V (3x18650) set on High mode. This light will be used as the comparison light to give you a reference for the ones that follow.

 

Next is The Micro Mag on High so you can easily compare it to it's big brother. Ceiling bounce gives the best way to visually compare the amount of light put out by a torch and I think the Micro really holds it's own compared to it's big brother!

 

Next is the Micro Mag on Medium.

 

This one is the Micro Mag on Low.

 

Now I'll show you the beam shots so you can see how large the hotspot is and compare it to the reference light. They are not blue at all in person, they just came out that way on camera for some reason.

 

First is the reference light, my 3D Mag on High. You can see the intense hotspot given by the large reflector combined with a very smooth and even spill.

 

Now here is the Micro Mag's beam on High. Since the hotspot is so much larger and not as intense, it would appear to be no where near as bright but as the ceiling bounce showed, the amount of light as a total from the broad center and distinguished zones of flood is really impressive. Clearly not a thrower, it's specialty is flooding.

 

Here are the two beams (High mode) next to each other in the same shot for a direct comparison.

 

Here is one last view again of both bounce results on high in a mouse-over view for easy comparison (more for my own curiosity)

I hope this helps to give an idea of what an impressive little torch this is. Thanks for looking! Smile

ico
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 7 months ago
Joined: 09/18/2011 - 08:59
Posts: 3

How much would one cost?

JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

I've sold others at $80 shipped but $70 is my current price and I include a nylon holster and a custom lanyard. PM me if interested and we'll see what we can work out.

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6091
Location: Johnstown, PA

So a P60 drop-in fits a AA Maglite?  Hmm . . . opens up another avenue for modding for me!  How much work is involved getting the drop-in into the Mag?  Does the reflector fit, or just the heatsink?  And if I were to cut down my own, would that tap be available at my local Lowes or Home Depot? 

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques

, MTBR’s Lights & Night Riding Forum
NOTE: Now hosting my photos from my Google account. Post up if you can’t see them. Older photos hosted on Photobucket or Flickr may disappear (PM me if you want access to them).
E1320
E1320's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 03/30/2011 - 05:26
Posts: 3369
Location: New Hampshire

garrybunk wrote:

So a P60 drop-in fits a AA Maglite?  Hmm . . . opens up another avenue for modding for me!  How much work is involved getting the drop-in into the Mag?  Does the reflector fit, or just the heatsink?  And if I were to cut down my own, would that tap be available at my local Lowes or Home Depot? 

-Garry

It's called the Match mod there is a tutorial post around here somewhere that Match put up.You need a 25/32 drill bit and a drill press or a steady hand. You reuse the mag lights reflector after some minor trimming. I made a couple fire breathing mini mags they are great fun.

I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6091
Location: Johnstown, PA

I think I came across that in the past, but don't remember it using a P60 drop in.  I'll have to take another look.

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques

, MTBR’s Lights & Night Riding Forum
NOTE: Now hosting my photos from my Google account. Post up if you can’t see them. Older photos hosted on Photobucket or Flickr may disappear (PM me if you want access to them).
JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

garrybunk wrote:

I think I came across that in the past, but don't remember it using a P60 drop in.  I'll have to take another look.

-Garry

It doesn't use the whole drop-in, just the pill itself.  Match's thread gives very detailed info on what's needed to do the mod.  I found the needed bits on ebay and other online places.  You won't find the stuff at your local hardware stores.
garrybunk
garrybunk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 09:25
Posts: 6091
Location: Johnstown, PA

I'd LOVE to do a triple XP-G in a mini-mag!  I saw Match's mod with the triple XP-G sometime ago and couldn't figure out which driver was used nor what was used for a heatsink.  Is Match's triple XP-G the same thread you are referring to for use of the P60 pill?  Or is there another.  I haven't had time to look yet, been very busy at work (like I said in another thread, work always gets in the way!). 

Oh, and yeah  I want flood.  I am finding more use for floody lights, although having a thrower or two in the toolbelt is good too.  I'd also prefer a driver with at least two modes.

-Garry

My Bike Lights Thread, Optics (TIR) Comparison Beamshots, Diffusion Techniques

, MTBR’s Lights & Night Riding Forum
NOTE: Now hosting my photos from my Google account. Post up if you can’t see them. Older photos hosted on Photobucket or Flickr may disappear (PM me if you want access to them).
JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 04/12/2011 - 16:03
Posts: 8863
Location: Eastern PA

garrybunk wrote:

I'd LOVE to do a triple XP-G in a mini-mag!  I saw Match's mod with the triple XP-G sometime ago and couldn't figure out which driver was used nor what was used for a heatsink.  Is Match's triple XP-G the same thread you are referring to for use of the P60 pill?  Or is there another.  I haven't had time to look yet, been very busy at work (like I said in another thread, work always gets in the way!). 

Oh, and yeah  I want flood.  I am finding more use for floody lights, although having a thrower or two in the toolbelt is good too.  I'd also prefer a driver with at least two modes.

-Garry

Match used the same technique in his XP-G triple.  The only difference is he made his own copper pill for better heat sinking.  Same deal though.

I'm in the process of making an XP-G triple as well.  I was just waiting for the right driver to come along.  I think I might have it but am not ready to mess with it yet.  One day soon though. Wink

Pages